2L. No motivation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
IAFG

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:15 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:Is anyone else looking back on 1L year and wondering: a) how you got motivated to work; and b) how you did well in the first place and will be able to replicate it?

Well you see, that was prior to OCI.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:Is anyone else looking back on 1L year and wondering: a) how you got motivated to work; and b) how you did well in the first place and will be able to replicate it?

if there is one thing law school taught me, it is the things that fear alone will drive you to do. first semester I was literally like a machine..i was sooo terrified. I had no idea what it took to even be median. I did so-so..not horrible, and I was above median, but I could have done better. 2d semester I was so burnt out from first semester that I was a total slacker [or so I thought at the time] and did not work half as hard. I did even better [and was very very happy at the end of the semester] than first semester, when I worked so hard. I learned the difference between what I did 1st semester that was worth it..and what I did first semester that was a total waste of time.

Now...here I am as a 2L...totally overestimating my ability to get A's. The fear is gone, I guess. Oh, I am also counting on 3Ls to not give a damn about their grades and be even less motivated than I am. The 2Ls at least have a scholarship stipulation to worry about..3Ls are home free...I cant even imagine how little *they* care right now

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:20 pm

goosey wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:Oh, I am also counting on 3Ls to not give a damn about their grades and be even less motivated than I am.

Was hoping this would hold true for evidence last year, but it didn't. Son of a...

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:49 pm

I don't think I was motivated by this point...it was post-Thanksgiving for me. I would probably be fine, if I had kept up with the reading in any of my classes.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Revision of a paper due Tuesday and 45-page draft of my note due Wednesday. So I'm streaming How I Met Your Mother and eating junk food.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:36 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Revision of a paper due Tuesday and 45-page draft of my note due Wednesday. So I'm streaming How I Met Your Mother and eating junk food.

I ate four different types of animal for dinner.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:31 am

goosey wrote:

if there is one thing law school taught me, it is the things that fear alone will drive you to do. first semester I was literally like a machine..i was sooo terrified. I had no idea what it took to even be median. I did so-so..not horrible, and I was above median, but I could have done better. 2d semester I was so burnt out from first semester that I was a total slacker [or so I thought at the time] and did not work half as hard. I did even better [and was very very happy at the end of the semester] than first semester, when I worked so hard. I learned the difference between what I did 1st semester that was worth it..and what I did first semester that was a total waste of time.

Now...here I am as a 2L...totally overestimating my ability to get A's. The fear is gone, I guess. Oh, I am also counting on 3Ls to not give a damn about their grades and be even less motivated than I am. The 2Ls at least have a scholarship stipulation to worry about..3Ls are home free...I cant even imagine how little *they* care right now

*Someone* I know had an experience something like this:

1L Fall: Significantly above median.
1L Spring: Median.
2L Fall: Median.
2L Spring: Significantly below median.
3L Fall: Openly proclaiming that requiring three years of law school is ridiculous. Also whining about loans a lot.
3L Spring: Externing instead of taking classes.

Rammstein

Postby Rammstein » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:33 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Revision of a paper due Tuesday and 45-page draft of my note due Wednesday. So I'm streaming How I Met Your Mother and eating junk food.

I ate a lot of pig. I will also be having bacon tomorrow morning. Know why? Because heart disease is for pussies.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:

niiiice.....

which ones???

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:24 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
goosey wrote:

*Someone* I know had an experience something like this:

1L Fall: Significantly above median.
1L Spring: Median.
2L Fall: Median.
2L Spring: Significantly below median.
3L Fall: Openly proclaiming that requiring three years of law school is ridiculous. Also whining about loans a lot.
3L Spring: Externing instead of taking classes.

fuck yeah... I forsee a drop... but I just don't want to fail out.... :/

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:25 am

Rammstein wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I ate a lot of pig. I will also be having bacon tomorrow morning. Know why? Because heart disease is for pussies.

Where did this guy come from??? 11 fucking posts.. what TF?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:26 am

Lawquacious wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

niiiice.....

which ones???

Pig, Cow, Sheep, and Chicken.

Brazilian steakhouse for the win.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

niiiice.....

which ones???

Brazilian Steakhouses are so win.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

niiiice.....

which ones???

texas de brazil?

kaplowstein

Postby kaplowstein » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for the quickest way to essentially learn Business Associations an Fed Tax in the span of 3 weeks? Focused on jobs for way too much of the semester after striking out at OCI (T14 school) and then depression/being sick a lot set in afterward, have maybe 30% of the reading done in either class, just want to end up being at a 3.1+ or higher for the semester. Is it possible? Any recommendations/tips on essentially learning a lot of a semester's worth of classes in a 2-4 week period for finals would be greatly appreciated. Feel like I know jackshit in my classes from this semester, grades going down would be the death knell on already dim job prospects

Rammstein

Postby Rammstein » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:42 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Rammstein wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Where did this guy come from??? 11 fucking posts.. what TF?

New to TLS. Needed a place to bitch and moan.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:31 pm

Rammstein wrote:New to TLS. Needed a place to bitch and moan.

You've come to the right place :lol:.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:36 pm

Grand day planned. Woke up slightly hungover, skyped, got pizza, did a little bit of reading for class and that's about it. Come a week from now, I'm going to want to kill myself for being so damn unproductive re: outlining.

Rammstein

Postby Rammstein » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:42 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Grand day planned. Woke up slightly hungover, skyped, got pizza, did a little bit of reading for class and that's about it. Come a week from now, I'm going to want to kill myself for being so damn unproductive re: outlining.

Today I finally went out and bought supplements and commercial outlines. Now I have to figure out what "admin law" is.

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:48 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Grand day planned. Woke up slightly hungover, skyped, got pizza, did a little bit of reading for class and that's about it. Come a week from now, I'm going to want to kill myself for being so damn unproductive re: outlining.

you still have plenty of time today.

*returns to video game playing*

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:56 pm

I slept til 3 p.m.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:47 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:

you still have plenty of time today.

*returns to video game playing*

I just looked at the clock and realized it's not even 7 yet - so even if I watch some tv and crash early I still have at least 3 hours of productivity left. I don't know why it feels so damn late. I'm basically ready for bed now.

dudders

Postby dudders » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:56 pm

OMGz I'm actually outlining .... I started drinking beer as soon as it got dark, AND I'm streaming SVU in the background ... but this feels like a giant victory of progress. lol.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:17 pm

kaplowstein wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for the quickest way to essentially learn Business Associations an Fed Tax in the span of 3 weeks? Focused on jobs for way too much of the semester after striking out at OCI (T14 school) and then depression/being sick a lot set in afterward, have maybe 30% of the reading done in either class, just want to end up being at a 3.1+ or higher for the semester. Is it possible? Any recommendations/tips on essentially learning a lot of a semester's worth of classes in a 2-4 week period for finals would be greatly appreciated. Feel like I know jackshit in my classes from this semester, grades going down would be the death knell on already dim job prospects

law in a flash for income tax will possibly get you an A in this time span.

and hi, I woke up at 330 pm today.
about to start outlining now. wow.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:35 pm

I'm about to start outlining PR. I'm not sure if I should go rule by rule, or the way my teacher organized it. Dumb issue to have, but, I can't decide either way. Thoughts?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”