2L. No motivation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
traehekat

Re: 2L. No motivation

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:15 pm

keg411 wrote:
traehekat wrote:
keg411 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I thought at the beginning of the semester that writing a paper would be a good idea. Maybe if I were really interested, I could polish it and get it published in a secondary journal somewhere. Maybe if I were really gungho, I could get it done early and cruise through finals period. If nothing else, it would force me to write quality work, something which never happens when I take exams.

I was so foolish.

I did the same thing. Planned to write my seminar paper over Spring Break. Did some research but didn't even come close and then changed my topic two weeks ago. Due at the same time as the rest of my exams and what I write will end up being a major epic fail... if I ever actually start writing :lol:.

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure no one actually gets "B" grades in seminars... at least that's what I'm going to tell myself....

Thought the same thing as you guys last semester. What resulted was 3 1/2 months devoid of any effort in my seminar class, an absolute joke of a "paper," and a B+ (considering this is NU's curve we are talking about, this is tantamount to an F basically).

:? :? :?
This gives me motivation to start my paper tomorrow... for the sake of my GPA. I really really really need the grade considering my exams are going to be a disaster.

The only class I actually did well in last semester was the only class I took that was a curved, substantive course with an exam, and so I figured I'll just take ALL substantive courses with exams this semester and my GPA should skyrocket. As it turns out, this probably wasn't a good idea either.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:50 pm

kaiser wrote:I sort of can't have a repeat of last semester. My grades weren't that bad, but they were below median and thats not how I wanted to start my first year at my new school. So I'm a little more motivated than last semester, but not by much. I just don't want to go through the whole summer associate thing, the entire time wondering "Can I Haz a Jerb?"

I'm kind of in the same place. Had two P/F's and used them both, but I need to not get B's this semester (or for the rest of law school), and it's going to be tough with 3 hard-curved classes and 1 soft-curve class. Really need to not choke the seminar to save my GPA. On the other side, I only have 5 credit credits right now, so an awesome performance this semester could really change where I'm sitting in general... but I dunno if I'm smart enough in general as compared to my classmates to pull it off.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:59 pm

keg411 wrote:
kaiser wrote:I sort of can't have a repeat of last semester. My grades weren't that bad, but they were below median and thats not how I wanted to start my first year at my new school. So I'm a little more motivated than last semester, but not by much. I just don't want to go through the whole summer associate thing, the entire time wondering "Can I Haz a Jerb?"

I'm kind of in the same place. Had two P/F's and used them both, but I need to not get B's this semester (or for the rest of law school), and it's going to be tough with 3 hard-curved classes and 1 soft-curve class. Really need to not choke the seminar to save my GPA. On the other side, I only have 5 credit credits right now, so an awesome performance this semester could really change where I'm sitting in general... but I dunno if I'm smart enough in general as compared to my classmates to pull it off.

I don't understand that at all. Regardless, my firm does corporate work and I don't understand Corporations that well. I just said during OGI that I liked "bringing both sides together" and that I didn't want the "cut-throat atmosphere" of litigation. But all this white knight/proxy contest stuff has me more confused than an O'Connor 8 part balancing test. Models and bottles, everyone.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:08 pm

desertlaw wrote:
keg411 wrote:

I don't understand that at all. Regardless, my firm does corporate work and I don't understand Corporations that well. I just said during OGI that I liked "bringing both sides together" and that I didn't want the "cut-throat atmosphere" of litigation. But all this white knight/proxy contest stuff has me more confused than an O'Connor 8 part balancing test. Models and bottles, everyone.

Who do you have?

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:12 pm

dailygrind wrote:
desertlaw wrote:
keg411 wrote:

Who do you have?

The older prof with the really deep voice. But it's more my fault, not his, that I'm not Dooling that well at keeping up with the concepts.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Ah. Got no input then. Zapata two-step with grace, my friend.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:54 pm

dailygrind wrote:Ah. Got no input then. Zapata two-step with grace, my friend.

Hey I got that joke! Maybe my halfhearted studying isnt a total waste.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Two final 15 page papers and two presentations in exactly 9 days. Was supposed to do all research today, instead played basketball at the gym for 2 hours and am now watching the NHL playoffs. I thought I'd get all this done tomorrow instead but a crazy NBA double header may get in the way. Its gotten to the point where I dont even care about grades that much anymore, I just know I am learning nothing I will ever use and want to get out asap.

mths

Postby mths » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:15 pm

I ate and showered today. Baby steps.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:30 pm

mths wrote:I ate and showered today. Baby steps.

...this is an improvement over your normal routine?

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:49 pm

I ate today and showered on Friday.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:55 pm

I was hungover all morning. Then me and my roomie had our required "catch-up sesh", then I was on g-chat for a few hours, and now i'm back to outlining evidence, but soon I think I've earned a nap.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:03 pm

I had mountains of motivation until yesterday. Fail. Maybe my brain is worn out.

Or maybe I'm kinda at the "I gives a..." point. Uh oh. One week of class before finals, all five of them. wheeee

mths

Postby mths » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:16 pm

dailygrind wrote:

...this is an improvement over your normal routine?

Sundays are for hangovers.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:12 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Its gotten to the point where I dont even care about grades that much anymore, I just know I am learning nothing I will ever use and want to get out asap.

a thousand times this

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Recs for Crim Pro supplements for a policy-based class?

Haven't read or attended class all semester.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:39 pm

shadow. wrote:Recs for Crim Pro supplements for a policy-based class?

understanding crim pro from dressler.

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:43 pm

traehekat wrote:
shadow. wrote:Recs for Crim Pro supplements for a policy-based class?

understanding crim pro from dressler.

ty kindly, brother.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:17 pm

Outlining sucks. And by outlining, I mean picking which old outline to use.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Outlining sucks. And by outlining, I mean picking which old outline to use.

Shit, if he's already thinking about outlines, even DF is ahead of me at this point.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:23 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Outlining sucks. And by outlining, I mean picking which old outline to use.

Shit, if he's already thinking about outlines, even DF is ahead of me at this point.

I already did a FINAL.

On the other hand I think I will be homeless this summer.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:39 pm

Also Holly got more published on my journal than me, despite not being on it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed May 29, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:On the other hand I think I will be homeless this summer.

This. I need to get on that.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:20 am

I gots mines picked out. Worst part is updating it with new cases that have come down since that outline was made. My life is difficult.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”