2L. No motivation Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mths

Silver

Re: 2L. No motivation

Post by mths » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:48 am

booboo wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why does anyone take tax who isn't going to practice tax.
TCR. NYU has electives for one class for 1L year, guess which class remained unfilled after registration...
this is why

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:28 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Is that out on DVD?
I'm not sure. But, I found a good copy online just by googling it.
Nice.
For the record... so good. Just like a really long disastrous episode.
I gotta wait for finals to be over . . . because my ladyfriend would kill me if I watched it without her.

eddieg803

New

Post by eddieg803 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:06 am

monkey85 wrote:
Pato_09 wrote:Do you have any advice how to take a tax law exam? I have the exam tomorrow, and am terrified.
Did your prof do problem sets? If so, do those and if it makes you more comfortable, put the samples in your outline. Otherwise, I dunno, my class was pure problem sets applying each section of the Code and the final was mirror image.
just for the record, my exam was the dumbest non-tax-related hypo ever created in which we had to examine the tax consequences of a situation involving a government worker getting into a traffic accident with the governor who was drunk at the time, the governor bribing the gov't employee with yearly $10k bonuses to not spill the beans that he was drunk, said employee selling the rights to the bonus checks to a friend for a lump sum of $40k, governor giving the dude a car worth $10k instead of a bonus check one year, and then the media finding out and all of the stuff having to be returned to the government.

i'm all for a good issue spotter, but this was so non-practical and farfetched i left the exam legitimately pissed off.

Pato_09

Bronze

Post by Pato_09 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:13 am

eddieg803 wrote:
monkey85 wrote:
Pato_09 wrote:Do you have any advice how to take a tax law exam? I have the exam tomorrow, and am terrified.
Did your prof do problem sets? If so, do those and if it makes you more comfortable, put the samples in your outline. Otherwise, I dunno, my class was pure problem sets applying each section of the Code and the final was mirror image.
just for the record, my exam was the dumbest non-tax-related hypo ever created in which we had to examine the tax consequences of a situation involving a government worker getting into a traffic accident with the governor who was drunk at the time, the governor bribing the gov't employee with yearly $10k bonuses to not spill the beans that he was drunk, said employee selling the rights to the bonus checks to a friend for a lump sum of $40k, governor giving the dude a car worth $10k instead of a bonus check one year, and then the media finding out and all of the stuff having to be returned to the government.

i'm all for a good issue spotter, but this was so non-practical and farfetched i left the exam legitimately pissed off.

Wow ... That is just unnecessary, especially for a class so dry like tax... It can't be called an "issue spotter" if you can't spot the issues.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:35 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Guys, I literally feel like I'm going to fail my first exam tomorrow.

I was never this terrified back in 1L.
How I feel... except I still have until Wednesday.
My GPA is going to be ugly this semester.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:01 am

I just took my first exam. Which wouldn't be terrifying except:
1) I have two left
2) They both have to be done by Thursday at 5 p.m.
3) I got into this situation because they're all self-scheduled
4) The exam I just took was a 3 hour issue spotter that I finished at 6 a.m.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:37 am

exam in an hour... still not motivated

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:58 pm

c3pO4 wrote:exam in an hour... still not motivated
Exam tomorrow. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being motivated like a 1L I'm at a solid 2.

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:44 pm

3 hour exam in about an hour. General feeling going into it: "Meh." I'd be happy with medium. 2 hour professional responsibility exam tomorrow, one final Evidence exam on Friday, and finally done.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:00 pm

I guess the terror is never going to hit me this semester. Not until I get the email saying grades are out, anyway.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:01 pm

Ugh, I feel like an idiot.

The professor gave us a total gimme of a final question on our exam where all we have to do is give her the two parts of a new test. I only gave her the first part and totally blanked on the second part. Literally everyone else in the class gave both parts.

Below median, here I come.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Trying to half-heartedly study... roomate having loud sex is making that very difficult. Particularly knowing that I gave her a few new positions I looked up in an effort to procrastinate. /fail.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:30 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Trying to half-heartedly study... roomate having loud sex is making that very difficult. Particularly knowing that I gave her a few new positions I looked up in an effort to procrastinate. /fail.
Describe these positions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Grizz wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Trying to half-heartedly study... roomate having loud sex is making that very difficult. Particularly knowing that I gave her a few new positions I looked up in an effort to procrastinate. /fail.
Describe these positions.
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/gr ... troduction

In other news. I don't care. I don't know how else i can study, so i'm just gonna watch tv.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:45 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I guess the terror is never going to hit me this semester. Not until I get the email saying grades are out, anyway.
I am going to DresdenDoll it and not look until a few months later.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:49 pm

I'll have to know by the start of the semester, because if my grades aren't absolutely horrendous I am completely checking myself out of law school.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Employment law went ok I think. Felt like I was throwing paint at the wall at times, and it wasn't as sharp and focused as I would have liked. Good news is that over 50% of the class gets B+ or higher. Bad news is that idk if I'm in the upper 50%. Given that this was the only class I was even relatively comfortable with, I sort of need this to be my highest one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:27 pm

IAFG wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I guess the terror is never going to hit me this semester. Not until I get the email saying grades are out, anyway.
I am going to DresdenDoll it and not look until a few months later.
I want to know if I have to try second semester or not.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Did a bit more research into past grade distrubutions and found out that 94% of kids at my school get B or higher. Why exactly am I putting in any effort again? High curves like that make it impossible to "bottom out", so even if I handed to my firm a transcript of straight B's, no one would think twice (yet I could theoretically be bottom 10% of my class).

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:49 pm

kaiser wrote:Did a bit more research into past grade distrubutions and found out that 94% of kids at my school get B or higher. Why exactly am I putting in any effort again? High curves like that make it impossible to "bottom out", so even if I handed to my firm a transcript of straight B's, no one would think twice (yet I could theoretically be bottom 10% of my class).
ya i always think, who are these kids who get C's and how? i think i'm about to find out.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:53 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
kaiser wrote:Did a bit more research into past grade distrubutions and found out that 94% of kids at my school get B or higher. Why exactly am I putting in any effort again? High curves like that make it impossible to "bottom out", so even if I handed to my firm a transcript of straight B's, no one would think twice (yet I could theoretically be bottom 10% of my class).
ya i always think, who are these kids who get C's and how? i think i'm about to find out.
Lol, it would be so horrible getting a B- or C knowing that its reserved for like bottom 5%. When I think about how many kids there are who never attended any class, who totally checked out (and I mean even more seriously than me), and who don't even deserve to be here in the first place because they just had a lucky LSAT day, I like to think its essentially impossible to hit bottom 5% unless you essentially know zip about the subject.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:57 pm

This is how federal income tax made me feel today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOatpR4mf_o

schwar46

Bronze

Post by schwar46 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:08 pm

I think this video pretty much sums up what my experience will be like during my admin final. I'll stumble to the line, getting a few multiple choice questions right. When essay time rolls around, nose dive into the pavement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt65cKhkKrs

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:14 pm

My reaction to my income tax final will probably be something along the lines of George C. Scott's reaction to watching the movie "Jack & Jill":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKSAvNOIaNo

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:21 pm

This is actually me doing the income tax exam today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxhdTu0HuIg

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”