2L. No motivation Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Platinum

Re: 2L. No motivation

Post by keg411 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:
keg411 wrote:And personally, I'm jealous of that and tend to think that people who brag about "doing 'nothing' and still acing everything" are lying liars that lie.
Umm... okay.
See the last sentence.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:47 pm

keg411 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
keg411 wrote:And personally, I'm jealous of that and tend to think that people who brag about "doing 'nothing' and still acing everything" are lying liars that lie.
Umm... okay.
See the last sentence.
I saw it.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:50 pm

TTH wrote:
keg411 wrote:Personally, I had the "no motivation, law school blows, who gives a fuck" attitude last semester and I ended up with absolutely miserable and way below median grades. So while maybe some of you can blow off class and read an outline at the last minute and get A's, I can't. And personally, I'm jealous of that and tend to think that people who brag about "doing 'nothing' and still acing everything" are lying liars that lie.

And if it's actually true, fuck you all because I actually have to try for the next 1.5 years to end up with a respectable GPA.
I was more or less in the same boat last semester. I completely checked out, only instead of it being liberating I think I was actually more stressed out because I just hated being in the law building. I had a job, was on journal, but didn't want moot court and knew I wasn't competitive for clerkships.

I wound up with median grades last semester, and I'm going everything I can to keep a positive attitude and stay engaged in school this semester. I can only imagine how impossible that's going to be once it starts getting warmer. And next year? Fucking forget about it.
Ya maybe I need to paradoxically get engaged a bit more, as weird as that sounds. Otherwise, I just hate every second of every day I spend in law school or doing law school stuff.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:52 pm

Grizz wrote:
TTH wrote:
keg411 wrote:Personally, I had the "no motivation, law school blows, who gives a fuck" attitude last semester and I ended up with absolutely miserable and way below median grades. So while maybe some of you can blow off class and read an outline at the last minute and get A's, I can't. And personally, I'm jealous of that and tend to think that people who brag about "doing 'nothing' and still acing everything" are lying liars that lie.

And if it's actually true, fuck you all because I actually have to try for the next 1.5 years to end up with a respectable GPA.
I was more or less in the same boat last semester. I completely checked out, only instead of it being liberating I think I was actually more stressed out because I just hated being in the law building. I had a job, was on journal, but didn't want moot court and knew I wasn't competitive for clerkships.

I wound up with median grades last semester, and I'm going everything I can to keep a positive attitude and stay engaged in school this semester. I can only imagine how impossible that's going to be once it starts getting warmer. And next year? Fucking forget about it.
Ya maybe I need to paradoxically get engaged a bit more, as weird as that sounds. Otherwise, I just hate every second of every day I spend in law school or doing law school stuff.
Yup. That's pretty much what I came to realize. I was hating class, really hating Journal, and loathing be on the E-Board of a club. I can't say I like those tasks any more this semester, but I'm trying to stay in a good mood, talk to more people in the building, etc. I feel like it's helped thus far.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 pm

On a related note, I just made a countdown on google to when I think the hooding ceremony for our c/o 2013 will be.

Only 458 more days. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:46 pm

TTH wrote:On a related note, I just made a countdown on google to when I think the hooding ceremony for our c/o 2013 will be.

Only 458 more days. 8)
I dont know if I should laugh or cry.

schwar46

Bronze

Post by schwar46 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Cry.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:59 pm

schwar46 wrote:Cry.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:53 pm

Grizz wrote:
schwar46 wrote:Cry.
Naw mang. I can do that time standing on my head.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:07 am

This seemed like the right place for this complaint - had journal elections tonight and it took four fucking hours. Is this normal or does my school just suck?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:10 am

My journal doesn't do elections, you just mark down what positions you're interested in and the outgoing board interviews everyone and makes decisions based on assignment grades, interviews, etc.

Not really relevant to your complaint, I just wanted to post something a little obnoxious about how awesome my journal is.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:26 am

Is there a reason I would want to do the e-board for my journal? It looks like a lot of work and I don't know how interested in it I am.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:41 am

kalvano wrote:My journal doesn't do elections, you just mark down what positions you're interested in and the outgoing board interviews everyone and makes decisions based on assignment grades, interviews, etc.

Not really relevant to your complaint, I just wanted to post something a little obnoxious about how awesome my journal is.
I am so jealous

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:42 am

dailygrind wrote:Is there a reason I would want to do the e-board for my journal? It looks like a lot of work and I don't know how interested in it I am.
I think the only way it makes any sense is if you don't have a job yet and you want whatever resume boost you can get or if you want to clerk. Otherwise you'd have to just be a masochist.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:19 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:This seemed like the right place for this complaint - had journal elections tonight and it took four fucking hours. Is this normal or does my school just suck?
Your school sucks. My interviews took 40 minutes and this was a new format. Last year they took about 15 total.

EDIT: I misread your complaint, but yeah we have the outgoing board selecting the incoming board, which took them forever for the board members, but only took the 2Ls 40 minutes.
Last edited by D-hops on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:21 am

dailygrind wrote:Is there a reason I would want to do the e-board for my journal? It looks like a lot of work and I don't know how interested in it I am.
Do you have responsibilities as a 3L on the journal? If you do, you can run for a board position that you actually might enjoy (and can control when you are going to be busy) instead of having to do the 3L associate editor stuff. And if you want to clerk you should probably run for a position.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:21 am

i'm pretty mad about having to do an interview even though i am not running for anything. i might show up drunk.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Antilles Haven

Bronze

Post by Antilles Haven » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:23 am

Antitrust is kinda fun, so I can stay engaged with that class pretty well. But I may just blissfully ignore evidence entirely until after spring break.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 am

D-hops wrote:
Do you have responsibilities as a 3L on the journal? If you do, you can run for a board position that you actually might enjoy (and can control when you are going to be busy) instead of having to do the 3L associate editor stuff. And if you want to clerk you should probably run for a position.
Undecided on clerking but leaning against. Guessing that the 3L duties are pretty light. Also guessing that if I end up running it will probably be more out of paranoid risk aversion than anything else.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:27 am

IAFG wrote:i'm pretty mad about having to do an interview even though i am not running for anything. i might show up drunk.
They seem like they want me to do cites. FUCK NO.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:38 am

dailygrind wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Undecided on clerking but leaning against. Guessing that the 3L duties are pretty light. Also guessing that if I end up running it will probably be more out of paranoid risk aversion than anything else.
In all, I didn't think journal work was too much except for writing the comment. And you don't have to do that next year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:52 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:This seemed like the right place for this complaint - had journal elections tonight and it took four fucking hours. Is this normal or does my school just suck?
Ours aren't until mid-March, but I've heard they take that long. Not looking forward to it in the slightest. I've heard alcohol might be involved, however.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:12 am

D-hops wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
D-hops wrote:
In all, I didn't think journal work was too much except for writing the comment. And you don't have to do that next year.
Be careful though, for some journals like mine, board member have to come in for 2-4 weeks of citechecking over the summer depending on their position. I think i'll take August off thanks...

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:29 am

I really can't decide what to do with Journal either. Our runoff election for EIC is tonight, so I think what position(s) I interview for will depend on some part on who wins the election. Both candidates are pretty cool, but I know one better than the other and it might be easier to work closely with them.

I just don't want to do cite-checks again next year.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:30 am

I want to be the guy who gives the opening presentations to the incoming staff editors. Scaring people is fun.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”