1Ls having 2nd thoughts about law school? Discuss here.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gettingstarted1928

Re: 1Ls having 2nd thoughts about law school? Discuss here.

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:10 pm

yntzoid wrote:
174 wrote:
yntzoid wrote:
174 wrote:2L here. Struck out at OCI, dropping out to pursue a second bachelors degree. Wish I had done it when I first thought about it after 1L first semester.

Sorry to hear that man. Do you really want to be a lawyer? I've followed these boards for a long time and it seems like if you aren't biglaw or bust you still have a fighting chance to get SOMETHING, no?

1. Realized I don't want to be a lawyer during 1L. Thought I could tolerate it for $160K and got good enough grades for it to be a possibility, so I stayed.
2. Even if I did want to be a lawyer, I don't know if I could stomach another $45K of debt for a "fighting chance" at gainful employment.

I'm quite relieved to put this all behind me and start fresh.

Good point. Another $45K is a lot more money.

Sad really that it is mid-October and already a drop out thread for 1Ls. Pre ITE I fell for the dream of graduating and making 160K. Thought if I 'worked hard' I could do it. Now I'm here, I hate the material, and hate research.

EDIT: Luckily not paying a ton of $$. Thought I could hash it out after I realized the places I got into made biglaw completely unavailable. Maybe DA work, or private practice on my own or a crappy small firm. In any case, I realized I just do not want to be a lawyer.

Gotta admit, it is an unsettling feeling.

See I'm not even using that as a fall-back option, but with the hiring freezes and because everyone is deciding to go for a govt. job, I'm not sure I want to gamble.

Postby 174 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:42 pm

SarahKerrigan wrote:
174 wrote:2L here. Struck out at OCI, dropping out to pursue a second bachelors degree. Wish I had done it when I first thought about it after 1L first semester.

Just curious, what are you getting your second bachelors in?

Either CS or some sort of engineering. Did well in math classes during undergrad, just never took any science.

truevines

Postby truevines » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:16 am

174 wrote:
SarahKerrigan wrote:

Just curious, what are you getting your second bachelors in?

Either CS or some sort of engineering. Did well in math classes during undergrad, just never took any science.

CS is great in terms of job opportunities. If you wanna do EE, verification is the way to go.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:45 am

I have my up days and my down days, but I'm not seriously thinking about it yet. If I keeping working my ass off and up at median, I'll give it some more thought. I'm at a T1 fo free.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:31 am

MTal wrote:Posted from another thread

MTal's guide to success in life.

1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
2. Get a job. Really almost ANY job will do.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.

Report this post

1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.

Report this post

Save up money, start your own business. You won't get to where you want to be being someone elses bitch.

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:57 am

typ3 wrote:
MTal wrote:Posted from another thread

MTal's guide to success in life.

Report this post

Report this post

Save up money, start your own business. You won't get to where you want to be being someone elses bitch.

+1

yntzoid

Postby yntzoid » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:17 pm

I'd go back for CS also looking into MS in Accounting programs for non-accounting/liberal arts undergrads. I asked this in a separate thread, how are you fellow potential drop outs going to swing this on a resume/in an interview/other college or graduate program applications?

I feel like saying "I realized the law was not for me" or "I went to LS for the wrong reasons" will be understood by the admission people/interviewer/recruiter as "This 20-something does not know what he wants he is just grasping at straws."

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:50 pm

yntzoid wrote:I'd go back for CS also looking into MS in Accounting programs for non-accounting/liberal arts undergrads. I asked this in a separate thread, how are you fellow potential drop outs going to swing this on a resume/in an interview/other college or graduate program applications?

I feel like saying "I realized the law was not for me" or "I went to LS for the wrong reasons" will be understood by the admission people/interviewer/recruiter as "This 20-something does not know what he wants he is just grasping at straws."

Just point them to Jdunderground and have them explain it to them.

All kidding aside, I don't think it would be that much of an issue.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:53 pm

yntzoid wrote:I'd go back for CS also looking into MS in Accounting programs for non-accounting/liberal arts undergrads. I asked this in a separate thread, how are you fellow potential drop outs going to swing this on a resume/in an interview/other college or graduate program applications?

Take a year off and work in something CS related. Then say it wasn't for you and you want a CS degree and here's why.

Knuckles

Postby Knuckles » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm a 1L so this might not be a credited response, but I just wanted to tell everyone who is having second thoughts to hang in there; if you didn't have cold feet or a breakdown at some point during the semester, I would question your intelligence.

If you are freaking out because of grades or the fear of unemployment, I'd recommend taking a break from TLS. Just because an argument is logical and backed by observation doesn't mean you should be listening to it. Pick up what is useful and let everything else go. I think we're all looking at our sectionmates right now and calculating our odds, but there are better ways to spend your time. If you are really freaking out, do the parts of practice exams that you've covered in class, and find a time to have your professors review them; maybe if you had some tangible feedback you wouldn't be bugging as much. No one wants to hire someone who looks like they are ready to commit suicide.

If you are freaking out because you don't think you want to be a lawyer, I wouldn't worry either. None of us have a clue what being a lawyer is like. I don't think it is wise to judge our potential satisfaction with lawyering by how much we adore sitting in the library reading cases about foxes and fee tails next to a guy with thirty highlighters. Furthermore, we are sampling a rather basic collection of topics, most of which are confined to the civil realm. Many of us are better suited to criminal law and many of us won't taste criminal law until spring.

TL;DR: Don't be so histrionic. It's not that bad, so stop the negative forecasting and take your medicine.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Knuckles wrote:I'm a 1L so this might not be a credited response, but I just wanted to tell everyone who is having second thoughts to hang in there; if you didn't have cold feet or a breakdown at some point during the semester, I would question your intelligence.

If you are freaking out because of grades or the fear of unemployment, I'd recommend taking a break from TLS. Just because an argument is logical and backed by observation doesn't mean you should be listening to it. Pick up what is useful and let everything else go. I think we're all looking at our sectionmates right now and calculating our odds, but there are better ways to spend your time. If you are really freaking out, do the parts of practice exams that you've covered in class, and find a time to have your professors review them; maybe if you had some tangible feedback you wouldn't be bugging as much. No one wants to hire someone who looks like they are ready to commit suicide.

I agree. Take a break from these types of threads, at least just for now. (but take advantage of the many many 1L success threads. these were a huge help for me)

TLS is filled with very smart, anal-retentive cynical law students, with a TON of great advice for doing well in school, but also a lot of advice that will make you absolutely miserable if you dwell on it. In all honesty, with my 0L stats, If I would have started doubting myself because someone on TLS told me I had no shot at biglaw/money/etc, I wouldn't have done well at all. But I worked my ASS off with a lot of the good school advice I found on TLS, stayed as positive as possible, and ended up at the very top of my class with several offers, (v20 included).

As corny as it sounds, there is always going to be someone who says you can't do something, and If you always listen, you're not going to get very far.

For now, if you've already sunk tuition money for first semester, might as well ignore the plethora of negativity, stay positive and see how you do. Then you can re-evaluate based on some of the disheartening TLS advice. Yes, sometimes it's a long shot, and the economy sucks. But at least give it your best shot while you're in a position to try.

Knuckles wrote: If you are freaking out because you don't think you want to be a lawyer, I wouldn't worry either. None of us have a clue what being a lawyer is like. I don't think it is wise to judge our potential satisfaction with lawyering by how much we adore sitting in the library reading cases about foxes and fee tails next to a guy with thirty highlighters. Furthermore, we are sampling a rather basic collection of topics, most of which are confined to the civil realm. Many of us are better suited to criminal law and many of us won't taste criminal law until spring.

TL;DR: Don't be so histrionic. It's not that bad, so stop the negative forecasting and take your medicine.

+1. in all my interviews, I said I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, because 1L doesn't teach you much by way of practicing, and the overwhelming majority of my interviewers couldn't have agreed more.

MTal wrote:Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.

As this might be good advice for some people, it still comes off as kind of condescending to me. I'm glad I never listened to advice like this.

And startup businesses are insanely risky.

northwood

Postby northwood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:13 pm

perhaps a few days away from here may help....

Metaread

Postby Metaread » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:38 pm

GettingStarted1928 wrote:I have NOT made a decision, but I've officially put the idea of dropping out at the end of the semester on the table. The legal market gets worse every year with the surplus of attorneys, and if you couple that with the amount of money law school costs (tuition AND lost wages), I'm starting to lean more and more towards cutting my losses before I go all in. Right now there's only been minor damage that can easily be recovered from, but that won't be the case the longer I stay. I went back and forth with law school over the summer, and I reluctantly pulled the trigger.

So there's my thinking. Any other 1Ls share my sentiment?

I think one big reason why I have no idea if I *truly* want to be in law school is: I don't *really* know what a lawyer does. Sure, I had an internship in a law firm, and I shadowed some of the associates there. But I'm not a lawyer, nor do I have the legal knowledge to really play with all the legal concepts in a workplace setting. Law school is a bit of a gamble, b/c if I don't know what the job will be like per se, then what am I spending the money for? But so far I see it as a gamble worth trying out, at least for the first year. I may drop out to pursue my dream job (to be a chef), but that dream seems very far off. Law school seemed the best option for me when I applied, and it still seems so now, even though I don't like everyone at my law school, and even though I don't always like the way my professors teach class.

That said, those are my opinions, and if law school is not for you, it's not for you (circular logic! YAY). You have every right to drop out after law school if you don't feel like you fit in, or you don't like lawyers you've met (I'm a rare person who has met likeable lawyers, judging from the way people talk about lawyers). But in the very least, hold on until the 1st semester grades come out. Also, find friends. They don't have to be friends from law school. Friends will help you stay sane while studying the subtleties of promissory estoppel and subject matter jurisdiction.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”