Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:11 am

I just took my LSAT so I currently do not know much about the law, but I have a question.

My girlfriend goes to PSU / currently doing some program through them in DC in which she lives in apartment complex they picked out along with all the other individuals in this program. A little background (not that this matters with law), but she is the exact opposite of anyone who normally complains / never raises a fuss over ANYTHING.

Anyways, she has asthma but its generally not that bad unless its set off by something. Apparently their vent systems are loaded with dust / says everyone complains about it (I've never been there yet) and it causes her a ton of paint to breathe / etc and she's filed a report 3 times with them not doing anything (besides 1 time they came up with a rag and wiped the outside of the vent). After the third time she complained they sent her a nasty e-mail basically stating that they are not responsible for any pre-existing conditions.

Soon after that it got so bad she went to hospital after it got really bad / she wrote a complaint (her fourth) stating can they please do something she had to go to hospital. They responding by saying she's being evicted and that they reserve the right to do so because in the lease it stated that they reserve the right to evict someone if it is in the best interest of the resident, so she's being evicted because it is in her best interest.

She's down there living where everyone in the program does / knows nothing about DC and is panicking on what to do... can they REALLY do this? I'd imagine this would be under some violation of American with Disabilities Act, but then again I do not have that much knowledge with the law..

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:17 am

If you want legal advice you should talk to a lawyer.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:20 am

Bildungsroman wrote:If you want legal advice you should talk to a lawyer.

Lol she's obviously contacting a lawyer on Monday / dealing with it that way, was just wondering about the opinions of TLS (since I'd imagine there are some 3L's / lawyers on this board)

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:21 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:If you want legal advice you should talk to a lawyer.

Lol she's obviously contacting a lawyer on Monday / dealing with it that way, was just wondering about the opinions of TLS (since I'd imagine there are some 3L's / lawyers on this board)

Most lawyers on TLS are smart enough not to give out free legal advice to an anonymous person on the internet with an incomplete set of facts.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:25 am

I actually considered it would come off as that, but figured I'd just ask for the general opinion to see if things would work out for freaking out gf. If no one wants to answer with a simple (I'd need more facts but it looks as if gf is screwed or it looks as if gf will be fine) I guess she can wait until Monday.. I don't mean that in a condescending tone, I understand your point

As far as facts that's all I know other than she states she's going to try to get a health inspector because she's positive they'd agree with her
Last edited by ThreeRivers on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:26 am

What's with all the slashes? Are you quoting song lyrics on Facebook or navigating a Unix file system?

No one here is going to give you legal advice. It's unethical and potentially illegal and we want to actually get admitted to the bar after dropping up to a quarter million dollars on a JD.

User avatar
Yeshia90
Posts: 988
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby Yeshia90 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 am

A friend of mine did that program last year. I'd wonder if I knew your girlfriend, but I don't think I know anyone who's in DC this semester.

It's an awesome program, though. Aside from the dust, I imagine she's having an amazing time.

User avatar
Extension_Cord
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby Extension_Cord » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:If you want legal advice you should talk to a lawyer.

Lol she's obviously contacting a lawyer on Monday / dealing with it that way, was just wondering about the opinions of TLS (since I'd imagine there are some 3L's / lawyers on this board)

Most lawyers on TLS are smart enough not to give out free legal advice to an anonymous person on the internet with an incomplete set of facts.


LOL.

But really, we can get in a lot of trouble with our state bar organizations if we give ANY legal advise to ANYONE without being a licensed attorney.

I dont think any J.D.'s hang in the Forum for Law Students section, though I could be wrong.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:29 am

rinkrat19 wrote:What's with all the slashes? Are you quoting song lyrics on Facebook or navigating a Unix file system?

No one here is going to give you legal advice. It's unethical and potentially illegal and we want to actually get admitted to the bar after dropping up to a quarter million dollars on a JD.

Lol I just noticed the slashes, no clue why I was doing that. I never knew answering a question such as that would be considered (unethical or illegal), which I guess goes to show that I currently am pretty ignorant in these matters.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby ThreeRivers » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:31 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:If you want legal advice you should talk to a lawyer.

Lol she's obviously contacting a lawyer on Monday / dealing with it that way, was just wondering about the opinions of TLS (since I'd imagine there are some 3L's / lawyers on this board)

Most lawyers on TLS are smart enough not to give out free legal advice to an anonymous person on the internet with an incomplete set of facts.


LOL.

But really, we can get in a lot of trouble with our state bar organizations if we give ANY legal advise to ANYONE without being a licensed attorney.

I dont think any J.D.'s hang in the Forum for Law Students section, though I could be wrong.

Yes, I looked for one for lawyers but there was not one. O well, I guess I learned something new.. I never considered the unethical part

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby random5483 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:16 am

Most lawyers are unqualified to answer your question. Moreover, the lawyers who might be qualified to answer your question are unlikely to without more information. Worse yet, few lawyers frequent these forums since they are meant for law students.

Your girlfriend needs a lawyer. Specifically she needs to find one who practices real estate law in the DC area. Any other lawyer is unlikely to be much help.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby Renzo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:02 pm

I don't know fuckall about landlord tenant law, so I can't give any legal advice even if I wanted to. However, as a matter of general life experience, big urban cities usually have such pro-tenant laws that I am pretty sure your GF will find some way to stick it to the landlord.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Question for law students / lawyers semi-familiar with Law

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:If you want legal advice you should talk to a lawyer.

Lol she's obviously contacting a lawyer on Monday / dealing with it that way, was just wondering about the opinions of TLS (since I'd imagine there are some 3L's / lawyers on this board)

Most lawyers on TLS are smart enough not to give out free legal advice to an anonymous person on the internet with an incomplete set of facts.

This.

Locked for violating the self-evident "no soliciting legal advice" rule. Do it again and you're banned.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests