1L Summer Employment Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ran12

Silver

Re: 1L Summer Employment

Post by ran12 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:08 am

thegrayman wrote:
ran12 wrote:
thegrayman wrote:When firms say they want transcripts, if you're a 1L do we send undergrad transcripts?
If they want UG they'll specifically say so. Otherwise it means law school. You'll just have to update your app once grades are out.
so would you forgo sending transcripts altogether or print out an unofficial LS transcript with no grades on it and send that?
I would send a transcript once your grades are out. Firms know that 1Ls don't get grades until mid-Jan or so and the ones that have interest in you will prob tell you to update your app with the transcript once grades are available.

Antrim

Silver

Post by Antrim » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:34 am

Cross from the other one...

Is e-mailing good for firms only, or can you e-mail for judges as well? Also, if you do snail mail, do you have to send them off in an 8x11 envelope or is it ok to do a tri-fold in a standard 3x5?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:02 am

Antrim wrote:Cross from the other one...

Is e-mailing good for firms only, or can you e-mail for judges as well? Also, if you do snail mail, do you have to send them off in an 8x11 envelope or is it ok to do a tri-fold in a standard 3x5?
You cannot e-mail judges. Snail mail only. I sent them in a tri-fold envelope with no problem.

LegalEagle2014

New

Post by LegalEagle2014 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Where have you guys been looking for information regarding 1L SA's? specifically which firm are willing to hire 1L's? is there some way to find out online or is this just going to require calling each firm one at a time?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:31 pm

LegalEagle2014 wrote:Where have you guys been looking for information regarding 1L SA's? specifically which firm are willing to hire 1L's? is there some way to find out online or is this just going to require calling each firm one at a time?
NALP directory. Some firms also mention it on their website.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Antrim

Silver

Post by Antrim » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:21 pm

beachbum wrote:
LegalEagle2014 wrote:Where have you guys been looking for information regarding 1L SA's? specifically which firm are willing to hire 1L's? is there some way to find out online or is this just going to require calling each firm one at a time?
Anything similar for judges/PI?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Antrim wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Many schools maintain their own database.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:49 pm

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:22 am

Antrim wrote:
beachbum wrote:
pslawnet and idealist for PI

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

target

Silver

Post by target » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:05 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Harvard's Symplicity.
FTFY

My school's symplicity doesn't have any 1L SA, just public interest positions.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:15 am

target wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
Harvard's Symplicity.
FTFY

My school's symplicity doesn't have any 1L SA, just public interest positions.
Mine does. Also has 1L resume collection for a SA.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:25 am

r6_philly wrote:Mine does. Also has 1L resume collection for a SA.
Out of curiosity, which firm(s)?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:38 am

chimp wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Mine does. Also has 1L resume collection for a SA.
Out of curiosity, which firm(s)?
Bunch of a secondary market firms and 1 north jersey firm. Nothing from NYC/DC unless for diversity programs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:45 am

Does anybody here know when it's worth it to apply to diversity programs at big firms? Who are the types of people that tend to be competitive for these positions?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:49 am

blowhard wrote:

You cannot e-mail judges. Snail mail only. I sent them in a tri-fold envelope with no problem.
Yes, you can. While the default for judges is snail mail, some of the judicial internship postings on simplicity last year listed an email address as the contact to where apps should be sent. (I actually interned with a judge who I applied to by email.)

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:50 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Yes, you can. While the default for judges is snail mail, some of the judicial internship postings on simplicity last year listed an email address as the contact to where apps should be sent. (I actually interned with a judge who I applied to by email.)
some of the judges for the northern district of ca only take applications online

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:51 am

chimp wrote:Does anybody here know when it's worth it to apply to diversity programs at big firms? Who are the types of people that tend to be competitive for these positions?
A couple of alums I talked to while deciding on schools were 1L diversity SA. They also ended up on law review, so I guess grades do many quite a bit. I guess the large national firms that post their programs everywhere will certainly be more competitive than regional programs in smaller markets. Maybe it's the same as non-diversity competition, only that the pool is smaller? They do tend to say grades matter most like usual.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:58 am

r6_philly wrote:
chimp wrote:Does anybody here know when it's worth it to apply to diversity programs at big firms? Who are the types of people that tend to be competitive for these positions?
A couple of alums I talked to while deciding on schools were 1L diversity SA. They also ended up on law review, so I guess grades do many quite a bit. I guess the large national firms that post their programs everywhere will certainly be more competitive than regional programs in smaller markets. Maybe it's the same as non-diversity competition, only that the pool is smaller? They do tend to say grades matter most like usual.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what sort of "diversity" firms tend to be looking for? Is it mostly URMs or is it broader than that?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:21 am

chimp wrote: Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what sort of "diversity" firms tend to be looking for? Is it mostly URMs or is it broader than that?
The materials say it's broader, just find some applications and read the descriptions. Since selection criteria is not public, we will never know how much it matters. Most programs require a PS, so if the diversity is not URM, then I suppose you better do a good job of proving that in the statement?

I'd reach out to 2L/3Ls who are alums in the programs you are interested in. Our affinity groups had panels/talks and also sends out notifications for newly announced programs. I find talking to upperclassman really help to somewhat explain what to expect.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 am

r6_philly wrote:
chimp wrote: Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what sort of "diversity" firms tend to be looking for? Is it mostly URMs or is it broader than that?
The materials say it's broader, just find some applications and read the descriptions. Since selection criteria is not public, we will never know how much it matters. Most programs require a PS, so if the diversity is not URM, then I suppose you better do a good job of proving that in the statement?

I'd reach out to 2L/3Ls who are alums in the programs you are interested in. Our affinity groups had panels/talks and also sends out notifications for newly announced programs. I find talking to upperclassman really help to somewhat explain what to expect.
Good point. Thanks.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 pm

In everyone's cover letters, are you including your connections to the area if you are able to? I grew up in the state where I am applying, and I want to add a sentence to the cover letter to point that out. Good idea? My CDO review of the cover letter took that sentence out for reasons unknown to me.

thanks

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 pm

shock259 wrote:In everyone's cover letters, are you including your connections to the area if you are able to? I grew up in the state where I am applying, and I want to add a sentence to the cover letter to point that out. Good idea? My CDO review of the cover letter took that sentence out for reasons unknown to me.

thanks
My OCS said it was a good idea. In the context of I'll be returning home for break and will be available to interview, at least.
Last edited by ph14 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 pm

shock259 wrote:In everyone's cover letters, are you including your connections to the area if you are able to? I grew up in the state where I am applying, and I want to add a sentence to the cover letter to point that out. Good idea? My CDO review of the cover letter took that sentence out for reasons unknown to me.

thanks
I would if it's not obvious in your resume. But merely born there is probably not enough, if you are going to go there, you should establish your connection and desire to work there.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:37 pm

thanks
Seems like a waste of space if you went to undergrad there, have work experience there, and/or are going to law school there. I would think that you wouldn't specifically mention it unless it wasn't obvious from your other materials. But it's pretty much a judgment call. If you have room, I don't seem how it could hurt to briefly mention that info.

Antrim

Silver

Post by Antrim » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 pm

Do not apply to same firm/different city/state, right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”