1L Summer Employment Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jess

Re: 1L Summer Employment

Post by jess » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:09 pm

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm thinking of taking a 1L summer internship at the Public Defenders office. Does this risk pigeonholing me as a "PD" guy if I have a change of heart and want to do other work?

For example, I also have a strong interest to do private practice. At 2L OCI, will many firms look at PD experience negatively and just assume that this is the career path that I really want to do?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:29 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:I'm thinking of taking a 1L summer internship at the Public Defenders office. Does this risk pigeonholing me as a "PD" guy if I have a change of heart and want to do other work?

For example, I also have a strong interest to do private practice. At 2L OCI, will many firms look at PD experience negatively and just assume that this is the career path that I really want to do?
Some firms, esp. the more conservative ones, will look at a PD internship in less favorable terms than others. However, considering the types of internships that 1Ls get, I don't think most firms will look at is as negatively.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:11 pm

When in doubt, should we e-mail job apps? Also, should everything go into a single pdf, or should we separate cover letter, writing sample, resume all in their own pdfs? Remember seeing this somewhere on the forum, but after searching a long time I couldn't find it. Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:18 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:I'm thinking of taking a 1L summer internship at the Public Defenders office. Does this risk pigeonholing me as a "PD" guy if I have a change of heart and want to do other work?

Answer to any question by a 1L that has a summer job:

You'll be fine bro.

Answer to any question by a 1L that doesn't have a summer job:

You're fucked bro.

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:24 am

Besides 1L SA, what is the most favorable summer gig heading into 2L OCI? I'm particuarly interested in fed. distirct/state supreme internships for the summer. Decided its probably not even worth applying to COA (non t-14 t1). Through ties, I will likely have a spot at a midlaw firm (30-50) in a secondary market that I'm not terribly interested in. I understand that 1L summer is more about having an experience you can discuss candidly, but which looks better on paper for 2L OCI biglaw? Fed District/State Supreme or unpaid (assumed) midlaw?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:36 am

BEAST_mode wrote:Besides 1L SA, what is the most favorable summer gig heading into 2L OCI? I'm particuarly interested in fed. distirct/state supreme internships for the summer. Decided its probably not even worth applying to COA (non t-14 t1). Through ties, I will likely have a spot at a midlaw firm (30-50) in a secondary market that I'm not terribly interested in. I understand that 1L summer is more about having an experience you can discuss candidly, but which looks better on paper for 2L OCI biglaw? Fed District/State Supreme or unpaid (assumed) midlaw?
u got everything just about right. COA appeals looks best on paper, everything else is equal (doesnt matter).

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:49 am

I have to get really fancy paper for my fed district court internship apps. :| I don't have time to buy this stuff. why can't judges just accept good old fax paper?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:57 am

gdane wrote:I have to get really fancy paper for my fed district court internship apps. :| I don't have time to buy this stuff. why can't judges just accept good old fax paper?
They do. Don't waste your money. Especially don't buy "resume" paper. They sell executive class paper the same weight for half the price.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:54 am

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:08 pm

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:14 pm

blowhard wrote:
gdane wrote:I have to get really fancy paper for my fed district court internship apps. :| I don't have time to buy this stuff. why can't judges just accept good old fax paper?
They do. Don't waste your money. Especially don't buy "resume" paper. They sell executive class paper the same weight for half the price.
FWIW, I used normal, cheap printer paper for everything in the apps I sent out as 1L for judicial internships. I don't think it matters.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:18 pm

I really don't think I'm going to make the Dec 1 deadline for applying to CoA justices. My first final is Dec 1st and I don't think I can really take enough time off to get all of my mailings together. How big of a deal is it?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:19 pm

ilovesf wrote:I really don't think I'm going to make the Dec 1 deadline for applying to CoA justices. My first final is Dec 1st and I don't think I can really take enough time off to get all of my mailings together. How big of a deal is it?
I'm not applying until after finals personally (late December).

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:59 am

You guys can do it. It does not take much time to put a resume and coverletter together..for the writing sample, just send your final memo.

Calljudges' chambers and email firms' recruiting contacts. This process took me 20 minutes total. The clerks were friendly and the firms responded on the same day.

On november 30, I'm sending out six mailings so they get to their destinations on dec 1.

Good luck everyone..

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:25 am

Sent my CDO a cover letter to review 2 weeks ago, they still haven't gotten back to me. THANKS FOR THE HELP WITH THE JOB

Anyway, I gotta figure out how to make my printer work right so I can mail have it print the addresses on my envelopes. Do printers do that? I guess I could also get those big roles stickers that people put the stickers on the envelopes. Maybe that's a better idea for mass mailing.

I hope my printer doesn't run out of ink..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:37 am

shock259 wrote:Sent my CDO a cover letter to review 2 weeks ago, they still haven't gotten back to me. THANKS FOR THE HELP WITH THE JOB

Anyway, I gotta figure out how to make my printer work right so I can mail have it print the addresses on my envelopes. Do printers do that? I guess I could also get those big roles stickers that people put the stickers on the envelopes. Maybe that's a better idea for mass mailing.

Yes, some printers can do that, obviously. But why are you applying via mail anyway? I thought the standard procedure was to just email your resume.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:49 am

acrossthelake wrote:For diversity 1L programs, do they favor Dec 1st apps, or is it actually okay if I apply after finals?

ETA:
I get that 12/1 is preferred for general applying to firms, I'm inquiring about firms where there's like an actual scholarship program with a deadline in like February where they're asking for an essay and letter of rec, etc.
I am trying to send them out as soon as I can. For those that ask for either law school transcript or letter of rec, I will send app out as soon as either one is available.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:50 am

shock259 wrote:Sent my CDO a cover letter to review 2 weeks ago, they still haven't gotten back to me. THANKS FOR THE HELP WITH THE JOB

I think you are better off buying mail label, mail merge all addresses and print them out altogether.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:31 pm

ph14 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I really don't think I'm going to make the Dec 1 deadline for applying to CoA justices. My first final is Dec 1st and I don't think I can really take enough time off to get all of my mailings together. How big of a deal is it?
I'm not applying until after finals personally (late December).
Ditto. I actually just popped in to check that I wasn't the only one, so thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:09 am

When firms say they want transcripts, if you're a 1L do we send undergrad transcripts?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:22 am

thegrayman wrote:When firms say they want transcripts, if you're a 1L do we send undergrad transcripts?
If they want UG they'll specifically say so. Otherwise it means law school. You'll just have to update your app once grades are out.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:23 am

ugh, i totally forgot about summer jobs with all this finals prep. i might just apply after finals, but i still don't even know what i want to do this summer. is it bad that i really don't care (seeing as everyone i've talked to says employers don't seem to care what someone does in the summer with a few notable exceptions)?

my resume is totally done and i have a draft of a cover letter which i have to edit and tailor, but i don't even know where to apply to...which seems counter-intuitive.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:47 am

ran12 wrote:
thegrayman wrote:When firms say they want transcripts, if you're a 1L do we send undergrad transcripts?
If they want UG they'll specifically say so. Otherwise it means law school. You'll just have to update your app once grades are out.
so would you forgo sending transcripts altogether or print out an unofficial LS transcript with no grades on it and send that?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”