Need Help Adjusting to Mac

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Need Help Adjusting to Mac

Postby goosey » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:27 pm

I am really used to one note and am having a hard time adjusting to note-taking on a mac without it. i am trying to use microsoft office in notebook view, and it is pretty familiar--but my issue is that you can't have pages within he sub-sections---is this something that is not possible at all, or do I just not know how to do it?

does anyone know of anything I can use that permits notebook>section>pages
my understanding thus far is that word on mac just lets you have a notebook with sections. i don't understand how you can organize notes like this--i typically have one section for home notes, one for class notes, and one for statutes/regs...then within those sections i divide the notes up by assignment and the statute section usually has one page for each code/reg section.

i am confused as to how you can separate your notes on word when it seems like one long document in each section. do i just need to make every topic a different section and then have sep notebooks for each of my one note sections [home vs class notes and statutes/regs]??

this seems so inefficient. i miss my windows laptop :(

truevines

Re: Need Help Adjusting to Mac

Postby truevines » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:03 pm

goosey wrote:I am really used to one note and am having a hard time adjusting to note-taking on a mac without it. i am trying to use microsoft office in notebook view, and it is pretty familiar--but my issue is that you can't have pages within he sub-sections---is this something that is not possible at all, or do I just not know how to do it?

does anyone know of anything I can use that permits notebook>section>pages
my understanding thus far is that word on mac just lets you have a notebook with sections. i don't understand how you can organize notes like this--i typically have one section for home notes, one for class notes, and one for statutes/regs...then within those sections i divide the notes up by assignment and the statute section usually has one page for each code/reg section.

i am confused as to how you can separate your notes on word when it seems like one long document in each section. do i just need to make every topic a different section and then have sep notebooks for each of my one note sections [home vs class notes and statutes/regs]??

this seems so inefficient. i miss my windows laptop :(

Bootcamp + OneNote.
Case closed.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:18 pm

I have mine as an outline. I can click the triangle and hide, etc.

Try circus ponies if you need greater organization. You can try for free and get a student discount if buy...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:02 pm

truevines wrote:Bootcamp + OneNote.
Case closed.

This.

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 pm

kalvano wrote:
Case closed.

This.

This!!!

But get at least 8 gigs of Ram. I have 6, and it's still a little slow.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:45 pm

nelaw2010 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Case closed.

This.

This!!!

But get at least 8 gigs of Ram. I have 6, and it's still a little slow.

I had no problems booting Windows 7 on a 2007 Macbook pro with less than 6 gigs of ram. Macs run Windows through Bootcamp just as well as any other computer. I have bootcamped windows on two different macs (mid range 2007 macbook pro and low end 13inch 2011 macbook pro) and have had absolute no slowness through either.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Case closed.

Parallels or VMWare?

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:58 pm

i didnt get 4 gig ram so I wound up using circus ponies. i like it..its pretty close to onenote...i just wish you could use roman numerals, letters, etc to organize....it gets a little ocnfusing with the little triangle thing being used on everything. i like to see which things go together, etc...but...i guess this is as good as it gets. otherwise i love the mac.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”