Environmental Law or Intellectual Property?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
batch

Environmental Law or Intellectual Property?

Postby batch » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:30 pm

2L. Working in TX Oil and Gas industry. School part-time. Debating which to specialize in. I have the technical background that would make me useful in either. Weighing pros and cons of going environmental (which is sure to grow in the US, if isn't already) or IP (which is already growing and has solid/stable track record).

(Assuming of course I can actually choose in the given market) I'm interested in feedback:

growth opportunity
compensation
rewarding subject matter (both have rep for being a little dry on the surface)

Thanks.

Eco

Re: Environmental Law or Intellectual Property?

Postby Eco » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:34 pm

Intellectual Property= you will find a job even if your grades suck.

Environmental law= you will work for a) PI firm that does good stuff for the environment but pays you shit or b) an evil firm that pays you a lot. See How I Met Your Mother (Marshall's Career).

Go IP.

batch

Re: Environmental Law or Intellectual Property?

Postby batch » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:48 pm

The 3rd option (and most likely choice for me) is in-house at oil and gas company or refinery (again, assuming I can get in).
- ensuring co is not violating regs
- working to direct whatever $$ gets paid into avenues that actually put the $$ towards cleanup instead of private enrichment
- interfacing w/ agencies and other groups to get "sensible" legislation passed (yeah I know, don quixote).

I'm sure inhouse woudl have an "evil" component but no client is beyond reproach. I'm sure plenty of NGOs would like to see certain industries fined out of existence. It's all a matter of perspective.

I'm not sure if inhouse environmental compensation would be ~= in-house IP. I'm guessing close but less. Then again, env has an element of specialization to it.

But from what I can tell, in-house env would allow me branch out to other areas if I wanted where in-house IP would be a very narrow field. Not sure if that's true at other companies.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”