Best Civ Pro supliment? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschoolproblems86

New

Best Civ Pro supliment?

Post by lawschoolproblems86 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:21 pm

I need some major help in Civil Procedure. My teacher is brand new and therefore no past exams or outlines exist. She doesn't know how to lecture and is all over the place. She provides us with no notes or anything, and every time she cold calls on someone, nobody ever seems to know what's going on in this class. The entire class just clicks away on the internet while she blabs on. Whenever someone tries to ask about what we need to know for the final, she just says "everything! know all the rules and apply them!" Thanks, very helpful....

Considering the entire class is having difficulty with this class, I think it might be one that I could potentially do good in, if I work really hard to understand the material. Since not too many people are gonna do great on this exam unless they seek outside sources, I figure I should focus on this class.

I'm gonna be honest, I really have no idea what is going on this class. The casebook doesn't do that great of a job at explaining things and the lectures don't really help explain things any better either. So I was wondering what the best supplement out there is for Civil Procedure... one that can explain everything to me in a way where everything will make sense and I can start to catch up in understanding everything. Someone in my class mentioned Gilberts, but I had heard here before that Gilbert books in general are not that great? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

patrickd139

Gold

Re: Best Civ Pro supliment?

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:24 pm

I'd buy a dictionary first. Or at least learn to use spellcheck.

ETA: if you're looking just for rules, check out Steven S. Gensler, Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Rules and Commentary. Your library should have a copy. It's fantastic.
Last edited by patrickd139 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:25 pm

lawschoolproblems86 wrote:I need some major help in Civil Procedure. My teacher is brand new and therefore no past exams or outlines exist. She doesn't know how to lecture and is all over the place. She provides us with no notes or anything, and every time she cold calls on someone, nobody ever seems to know what's going on in this class. The entire class just clicks away on the internet while she blabs on. Whenever someone tries to ask about what we need to know for the final, she just says "everything! know all the rules and apply them!" Thanks, very helpful....

Considering the entire class is having difficulty with this class, I think it might be one that I could potentially do good in, if I work really hard to understand the material. Since not too many people are gonna do great on this exam unless they seek outside sources, I figure I should focus on this class.

I'm gonna be honest, I really have no idea what is going on this class. The casebook doesn't do that great of a job at explaining things and the lectures don't really help explain things any better either. So I was wondering what the best supplement out there is for Civil Procedure... one that can explain everything to me in a way where everything will make sense and I can start to catch up in understanding everything. Someone in my class mentioned Gilberts, but I had heard here before that Gilbert books in general are not that great? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Civ Pro E&E and/or Gilbert/Emmanuels.

Pato_09

Bronze

Post by Pato_09 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Civ Pro E & E, hands down.

Vronsky

Silver

Post by Vronsky » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:26 pm

don't get an outline like gilberts, get E&E or Freer to understand the concepts. Both are excellent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:32 pm

Acing Civil Procedure by A. Benjamin Spencer.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:07 pm

The E&E and Glannon Guide will make things most clear.

The Glannon Guide is the lesser-know little brother of the E&E, but it's the bomb for studying. Use the E&E to get the major overview down, and the Guide for exam prep.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:09 pm

If you don't know the answer to this question, no wonder you are having trouble. Glannon's E&E is the gold standard.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:29 pm

freer to understand, glannon e&e for practice.

freer might be the best supplement i've read so far first year, and i've looked through tons of supplements in search of ones to use.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

morris248

Bronze

Post by morris248 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:56 am

Here is a site with old exams that might help you with your studying

http://courses.washington.edu/civpro04/exams.shtml

As for a civ pro supplement I agree that Glannon is the best

Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:51 pm

Learn to spell...

and http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Civil-Proc ... 0735564086

Howard Erichson's Inside Civil Procedure: What Matters and Why.

Created my outline ENTIRELY around his book. Got an A in Civ Pro because of it.

jtb00711

Bronze

Post by jtb00711 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:08 pm

kalvano wrote:The E&E and Glannon Guide will make things most clear.

The Glannon Guide is the lesser-know little brother of the E&E, but it's the bomb for studying. Use the E&E to get the major overview down, and the Guide for exam prep.
+1

Throw in Acing Civ Pro as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”