Westlaw - Extracting citations used in the Case

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Westlaw - Extracting citations used in the Case

Postby LoyalRebel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Moved this post to the right forum. :oops:

It would save me SOOO much time if there was a way in which to list all the sources that are cited within a particular case on Westlaw or LexisNexis. I've found a way to list the cited cases, but I can't figure out how to list the statutes and/or secondary materials that are mentioned in the case. There has to be a way!

This case is 12 pages long with like 50-something citations - many of which are repeated throughout the text. I'd rather not have to go through and identify them individually and erase the duplicates manually.

Please help me save a ton of time on this BS legal research assignment.

Re: Westlaw - Extracting citations used in the Case

Postby molazapuku » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:26 am

The LexisNexis Office plug-in is SUPPOSED to be able to do this. There is a "Pull Citations" button in the ribbon that tries to pull all citations to cases, documents, statutes etc. It ALMOST works...does a great job for cases but is not so good at figuring out Restatements and treatises. Does ok with statutes, but haven't used it as much on those.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”