How much to write? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
KCBUFF

New

How much to write?

Post by KCBUFF » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:03 am

Hi everyone thanks in advance for the help

Im in a 1L civil procedure class TT school,

I have a homework question. The way the questions are phrased are like this. Is Acuna consistent with the pleading philosophy of rule 8? With Swierkiewicz? with Bell Atlantic? Can you argue that the technique in Acuna has textual support in rule 11?

From my understanding all of these questions can be answered with a yes or no. There is no mention of explaining your reasoning or anything. I always thought that lawyers should answer questions in as few words as possible. Would I screw myself over by just answering yes or no, and then commenting that the question as phrased only requests a one word answer.

Or would it be better to mention that "if I follow the exact nature of the questions this would be my answer", give list of yes or no
and then write I assume the policy behind the assignment is to get my reasoning behind these answers and then proceed to write the assignment with my answers and reasons

zanda

Silver

Re: How much to write?

Post by zanda » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:14 am

Your professor gives your homework?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:20 am

A question is asking you about a philosophy and you are going to answer with one word?

Really?

Also:
zanda wrote:Your professor gives your homework?

KCBUFF

New

Post by KCBUFF » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 am

Really?
Yes
See what I did there.
There are 2 assignments the entire semester pass/fail

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:50 am

I'm all for not caring about pass/fail assignments but I think if you answer with one word you will probably fail. Don't be a smart ass.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KCBUFF

New

Post by KCBUFF » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:52 am

"Is" question at minimum requires a yes or no, Is today monday? Is this thread neglecting to answer a question I asked?
If the question was phrased: "How" is Acuna consistent or inconsistent with rule 8? Then clarification is a necessary aspect of the answer.

I'm just seeing If I can justify with legal reasoning writing yes or no, hoping that I'll get extra credit for that.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:01 am

You will not get extra credit. No professor is going to think you are clever for doing this. They are going to think you are annoying and fail you. Is blah blah consistent with blah blah means you write why it is or is not consistent.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:04 am

KCBUFF wrote:"Is" question at minimum requires a yes or no, Is today monday? Is this thread neglecting to answer a question I asked?
If the question was phrased: "How" is Acuna consistent or inconsistent with rule 8? Then clarification is a necessary aspect of the answer.

I'm just seeing If I can justify with legal reasoning writing yes or no, hoping that I'll get extra credit for that.
Yes, your professor would love to give you extra credit for doing less than expected. That's normally how extra credit works, right?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:27 am

KCBUFF wrote:"Is" question at minimum requires a yes or no, Is today monday? Is this thread neglecting to answer a question I asked?

yfwgi

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KCBUFF

New

Post by KCBUFF » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:31 am

ok guys thanks for the advice Ill answer yes and then explain the reasoning behind
thanks

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:45 pm

troll

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Enjoy below-median.

KCBUFF

New

Post by KCBUFF » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:08 am

It would be trolling if the Professor didn't answer a question I asked in class with a yes or no and then made a big deal about phrasing questions, and how if you want a question with a real answer don't phrase it so someone can answer yes or no.
Maybe I'm just bitter about that lol.
But seriously thanks for the advice It's prolly better to not try to be too clever (lazy in some of your opinions smart ass in others) and just answer the question.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:45 am

With your logic, I can see how you ended up at a TTT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”