Cases?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
micwrecka45

Re: Cases?

Postby micwrecka45 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:00 pm

The best way to answer this is to look at your professor's old exams and model answers.

Not sure what you mean by "do we need to know cases". If you mean names, facts, dates, procedural history, then generally no. It's usually only important to remember the specific case names for the big cases, the ones whose propositions come up over and over. Civ Pro (Erie, International Shoe, etc.), Torts (Palsgraf, etc). Exams won't test your knowledge of the specific facts or procedure in the case. Instead, they will generally give you a long hypothetical and will test how you can take the proposition/BLL that the case stood for and apply it to the hypothetical.

However, this isn't a shortcut. The only way to know which cases will be the important ones and understand what proposition the case stands for, and how it has been applied by courts is to do all the readings, go to class, pay attention, and tackle tons of practice exams.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Some cases will be very important. You'll know them because they will be referred to constantly, like Eerie or Iqbal or Twombly or Terry or Miranda. Those kind of cases. You should cite those.

HyeMart

Postby HyeMart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:08 pm

im not trying to avoid readings. im making an outline and don't know what i need. I can find exam questions, but no model answers, so i dont know

micwrecka45

Postby micwrecka45 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:40 pm

kalvano wrote:Some cases will be very important. You'll know them because they will be referred to constantly, like Eerie or Iqbal or Twombly or Terry or Miranda. Those kind of cases. You should cite those.

ERIE! not EERIE! Haha. How come everyone does this? I think I saw Eerie on a model answer once though which goes to show how much case names matter .. or don't.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”