Graded LRW

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
queenlizzie13

Re: Graded LRW

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:25 pm

My professor likes certain words and told us so. I tried to use the words he likes. I'll tell you if it paid off when we get it back.

But for the most part, I tried to go off what he wanted. Problem is he was explicit in class so probably everyone else did too and thus no way to know how good or bad I did. We will see.
Last edited by queenlizzie13 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:30 pm

My LRW professor crossed out where I wrote inter alia (used correctly, lol) and noted that she doesn't have a problem with it, but that she knows that some attorneys would.

I suppose I should have known better, anyway. My Contracts professor said that when a lawyer starts using Latin, you know he doesn't have a leg to stand on. "Latin is the last refuge of scoundrels!" he said. lol.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:53 pm

Redzo wrote:My LRW professor crossed out where I wrote inter alia (used correctly, lol) and noted that she doesn't have a problem with it, but that she knows that some attorneys would.

I suppose I should have known better, anyway. My Contracts professor said that when a lawyer starts using Latin, you know he doesn't have a leg to stand on. "Latin is the last refuge of scoundrels!" he said. lol.

I was under the impression that supra, inter alia, and infra were all pretty standard.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I cannot wait to get my LRW grade back on my first memo. I know this is probably a waste, but part of me cannot help but imagine the work I put in... the obscene amount of work I put in... will yield something.

I want to be abused of that subconscious notion as quickly as possible so I can put in less effort next time.

I did go to several office hours with the prof though... so maybe that'll help. Except that it might cause me to put in a lot of effort again... :(

It won't. You'll be median.

Quoting this so I can come back and tell you if you were right or wrong. With my luck, I'll probably be below median :lol:

target

Postby target » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:04 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I cannot wait to get my LRW grade back on my first memo. I know this is probably a waste, but part of me cannot help but imagine the work I put in... the obscene amount of work I put in... will yield something.

I want to be abused of that subconscious notion as quickly as possible so I can put in less effort next time.

I did go to several office hours with the prof though... so maybe that'll help. Except that it might cause me to put in a lot of effort again... :(

It won't. You'll be median.

Quoting this so I can come back and tell you if you were right or wrong. With my luck, I'll probably be below median :lol:

No shit. I put in minimum amount of work since I know I am not the best writer in a 10 students class. I am praying for not finishing last though.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:02 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Redzo wrote:My LRW professor crossed out where I wrote inter alia (used correctly, lol) and noted that she doesn't have a problem with it, but that she knows that some attorneys would.

I was under the impression that supra, inter alia, and infra were all pretty standard.

My legal writing prof told us to NEVER, EVER use those words in a memo. *shrug*

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:42 am

sidhesadie wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

We were also told not to use words like that - it makes you sound like you're pretentious and you're trying too hard to sound intelligent.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:41 am

ilovesf wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

We were also told not to use words like that - it makes you sound like you're pretentious and you're trying too hard to sound intelligent.

I have heard those words are only for academic writing- LR and such.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:09 am

memo due tomorrow.. remembering why everyone hates LWR. :(

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”