Trespass to Chattels Q. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SwampRat88

Bronze

Trespass to Chattels Q.

Post by SwampRat88 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:55 pm

I understand that in trespass to chattels, unlike trespass to land, harm must occur. I don't understand, however, if the harm must be shown on only the chattel, or is harm to the possessor is also sufficient.

For example, A takes B's keys, promising to return them after A is done showing B some cars in his used car lot. Several hours later, B requests his keys back, and A denies having them. This continues for several minutes. B, who has little patience, is progressively enraged. A finally gives up his little game and surrenders the keys to B's car.

There was no harm done to the keys or the car, but could a trespass to chattels claim still be made in that B was harmed?

UT1502

New

Re: Trespass to Chattels Q.

Post by UT1502 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:59 pm

SwampRat88 wrote:I understand that in trespass to chattels, unlike trespass to land, harm must occur. I don't understand, however, if the harm must be shown on only the chattel, or is harm to the possessor is also sufficient.

For example, A takes B's keys, promising to return them after A is done showing B some cars in his used car lot. Several hours later, B requests his keys back, and A denies having them. This continues for several minutes. B, who has little patience, is progressively enraged. A finally gives up his little game and surrenders the keys to B's car.

There was no harm done to the keys or the car, but could a trespass to chattels claim still be made in that B was harmed?
You have to show that you were substantially deprived of its use for a significant amount of time. Demonstrating harm to you might do it (like you missed work).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:00 pm

I think the better tort claim will be when B sneaks up behind A and hits him over the head with a shovel and yells "Take that bitch!"

SwampRat88

Bronze

Post by SwampRat88 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:14 pm

UT1502 wrote:
SwampRat88 wrote:I understand that in trespass to chattels, unlike trespass to land, harm must occur. I don't understand, however, if the harm must be shown on only the chattel, or is harm to the possessor is also sufficient.

You have to show that you were substantially deprived of its use for a significant amount of time. Demonstrating harm to you might do it (like you missed work).
What if A's actions caused B to have a heart attack because of a unique condition. Would that be sufficient for harm in IIED in this example?

UT1502

New

Post by UT1502 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:24 pm

SwampRat88 wrote:
UT1502 wrote:

What if A's actions caused B to have a heart attack because of a unique condition. Would that be sufficient for harm in IIED in this example?
IIED is damn near impossible to prove. I think A would have to know about the unique condition AND know (or reasonably should) that his actions could cause B to have a heart attack.

My torts prof only cared about spotting the possibility, not what ACTUALLY would sway a court, and I'm realizing the shortcomings of that method now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”