What do you have? Sony (Vaio) versus Mac (or other) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Sony (Vaio) versus Mac

Poll ended at Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:14 pm

Sony Vaio
14%
Mac
59%
Other
27%

Total votes: 56

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Re: What do you have? Sony (Vaio) versus Mac (or other)

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:22 am

Both of my vaios have died in under two years. I have high hopes for my 9-month old pro.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:51 am

tyro wrote:
kalvano wrote:Apple is such an absurd corporation that they are the most successful company on the planet with cash reserves other companies can't even dream about.

I like my Lenovo just fine, but if I could have gotten an Air for a few hundred more when I bought it, I would have. The knock on Apple is always that you can more PC for less money, and it's true. But Apple makes a goddamn nice form factor for their components, and their trackpads are second to none.
So is it inevitably going to be Apple taking over and Microsoft falling?

Microsoft makes software, not hardware.

But no, they cost to much for everyone to adopt them. But I think you'll see a lot of companies pull out of the market over the next few years. There will always be Windows-based hardware, particularly for businesses. But for regular consumers, I think Apple will become the dominant brand.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:11 am

kalvano wrote:
tyro wrote:
kalvano wrote:Apple is such an absurd corporation that they are the most successful company on the planet with cash reserves other companies can't even dream about.

I like my Lenovo just fine, but if I could have gotten an Air for a few hundred more when I bought it, I would have. The knock on Apple is always that you can more PC for less money, and it's true. But Apple makes a goddamn nice form factor for their components, and their trackpads are second to none.

But for regular consumers, I think Apple will become the dominant brand.
Most consumers pay $400-500 for their computers. This is sort of like saying that Porsche will eclipse Ford in the consumer market because they make sexier, more fun to use cars.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:06 am

mrloblaw wrote:Most consumers pay $400-500 for their computers. This is sort of like saying that Porsche will eclipse Ford in the consumer market because they make sexier, more fun to use cars.

9 million people also didn't know they needed a tablet before Apple came out with the iPad. Then they started paying $400, $500, $600 for one. People will pay more for things they perceive have increased value.

Further, this current generation is certainly the Apple generation. Laptops, phones, tablets...they buy Apple stuff. The generation that didn't grow up with computers and Apple like this one did will start to pass on and this generation will continue to buy Apple stuff. If Apple has done anything better than anyone else, it's customer retention. I saw yesterday a study where Apple has almost 90% customer retention rate on the iPhone. HTC was next with a whole 39%. That's enormous. And Apple controls something like 85% of the tablet market.

When I was in undergrad about 10 years ago, the ratio of Macs to PC laptops was the exact opposite. Macs certainly don't have the market share of PC laptops, but the gains they have made in a few short years is astounding. There is no reason to think that they will not continue to do so.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:53 pm

kalvano wrote:Macs certainly don't have the market share of PC laptops, but the gains they have made in a few short years is astounding. There is no reason to think that they will not continue to do so.
Perhaps with the general population Macs trail behind PCs, but with few exceptions, all I have seen at law school are Macs. Percentage wise, far more Law School Macs than the 62% reported in this survey.

When I purchased my Vaio I was under the [mistaken] impression that Mac owners did not have access to many of the popular software programs and that Mac owners were last in line to receive popular software updates (i.e., Office). That does not seem to be the case. Right?

For whatever reason my Vaio is notably faster than my friend’s new +$2K Mac. . . especially gathering info on the net. Perhaps this is an anomaly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Most people in law school have MAC's because everyone else has MAC's.

If you don't wan't a mac like virtually everyone else (I don't have one either), get a nice business grade laptop like a T-series thinkpad. I've never in all my years of IT seen a Viao being used in a business setting. All those extra bells and whistles just become liabilities capable of making your system unstable.
I'm going to give you best advice from an IT standpoint: Get yourself an i5 Core thinkpad, Windows 7 professional, 8 gigs of RAM, with a SOLID STATE HARD-DRIVE. I guarantee it'll be much faster and more reliable than any of its counterparts.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:13 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I'm going to give you best advice from an IT standpoint: Get yourself an i5 Core thinkpad, Windows 7 professional, 8 gigs of RAM, with a SOLID STATE HARD-DRIVE. I guarantee it'll be much faster and more reliable than any of its counterparts.

Except for a Mac, which you just surpassed in price.

Kirk

New

Post by Kirk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:09 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I'm going to give you best advice from an IT standpoint: Get yourself an i5 Core thinkpad, Windows 7 professional, 8 gigs of RAM, with a SOLID STATE HARD-DRIVE. I guarantee it'll be much faster and more reliable than any of its counterparts.
From your IT standpoint, is there much difference between these two?

Lenovo ThinkPad T410-2518 Core i5 540M 2.53 GHz 14.1" TFT
Apple MacBook Pro Core i7 2.66 GHz – 15.4" 500GB

Both are close in price. One of the key features I like on the MAC is the backlit keyboard (which is strangely not a Lenovo option).

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:03 am

Kirk wrote:
From your IT standpoint, is there much difference between these two?

Lenovo ThinkPad T410-2518 Core i5 540M 2.53 GHz 14.1" TFT
Apple MacBook Pro Core i7 2.66 GHz – 15.4" 500GB

Both are close in price. One of the key features I like on the MAC is the backlit keyboard (which is strangely not a Lenovo option).
tough call, they're really close performance wise. However, if I were you I'd go with the Mac, because they're customer service is awesome and a lot more accessible if you aren't tech savvy or just don't have the patience to troubleshoot. (most law students don't) If you have a problem, take it to the apple store and they'll swap it out no questions asked. But personally, I'd go with the Lenovo because I know them inside out, there simple to fix, and built like a tank. Plus Windows 8 is coming out soon which will be perfect fit for that i5 processor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:06 am

Im rockin a Vaio. Love it so far.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:49 am

I will say that, going from a Mac to a Lenovo, Windows 7 is awesome and Mac's have the best trackpads, and it's not even close. I hate the trackpad on my Lenovo.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:54 am

kalvano wrote:I will say that, going from a Mac to a Lenovo, Windows 7 is awesome and Mac's have the best trackpads, and it's not even close. I hate the trackpad on my Lenovo.
Mac hardware with Windows really is the best of both worlds. Problem is that you have the expense of both buying a Mac and buying Windows.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:04 am

Apple sux.. don't buy an ffing mac

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:24 am

Thinkpad T420 FTW

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:02 am

Apple has had immense success marketing itself to young upper-middle class kids who, for the most part, have had everything paid for by their parents?!

Shocking.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:38 am

bk187 wrote:Apple has had immense success marketing itself to young upper-middle class kids who, for the most part, have had everything paid for by their parents?!

Shocking.
hahaha

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:33 pm

kalvano wrote:
tyro wrote:

Microsoft makes software, not hardware.
Yes but Apple makes both. My answer to the question is no because Apple is not business friendly and probably never will be.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”