My school offers extra help only to lower ranked students

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschoolisfun2012

My school offers extra help only to lower ranked students

Postby lawschoolisfun2012 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Last edited by lawschoolisfun2012 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

kahechsof

Re: My school offers extra help only to lower ranked students

Postby kahechsof » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:39 pm

lawschoolisfun2012 wrote:I must stay in the top 25% of my class to keep my scholarship. Today, I found out my school offers extra help to everyone in my section hosted by all the TAs from each class with ONE exception. You can only attend this special section if you have a low grade (from summer), or you are a "special" applicant (low grades and LSAT).

Is this fair? I was looking for a way to get extra help, but apparently I need to ask for the Dean's approval to join. Should I both asking?

Yes, ask.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:47 pm

lawschoolisfun2012 wrote:I must stay in the top 25% of my class to keep my scholarship. Today, I found out my school offers extra help to everyone in my section hosted by all the TAs from each class with ONE exception. You can only attend this special section if you have a low grade (from summer), or you are a "special" applicant (low grades and LSAT).

Is this fair? I was looking for a way to get extra help, but apparently I need to ask for the Dean's approval to join. Should I both asking?

This is the biggest waste of time and will not give anyone an advantage. Out school has one of these, but they ended up inviting everyone who would RSVP till 100 spots got filled. I got a spot and came to day 1 (2 day event). The ONLY productive thing I got out of it was meeting people. The TA's and Dean teaching this "class" were clueless about everything and gave terrible advice. Be thankful if you don't get an invite to this. Oh, and stop bitching.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:51 pm

I really don't understand any of the "How to lawschool" advice market. Learn the black letter rules (and the exceptions to them/minority rules), learn how to apply those rules to fact patterns by synthesizing the flow of how judges write opinions, and learn how to structure an exam so that you don't lose points on an instructor who has no idea what you're rambling on about.

Maybe I should market the above paragraph for $99.95 to incoming law students?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:01 pm

I don't really get what this extra help is exactly.

My school has a TA for every section. They meet either every week or every other week for a "review" session. I've gone to one and it was mostly a waste of time. The TA just gave us a very brief, mostly useless overview of all of the cases. Won't be going to those again.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Do you get to keep the scholarship for the full year, or could you lose it after one semester!?!? Do what you have to do to keep the scholarship!

Basically, it sounds like many of students that receive a scholarship transfer out after the first year, and the rest are stuck paying full tuition.

Maybe ask your professor before going to the dean (but, if you have not already met your dean, it might be a good way to meet the dean).

It might be worth attending the TA sessions. The TA probably got good grades as a 1L, and the TA might be able to give you some insight...

Also, it'd probably be more helpful if the TA had your particular professor as a 1L.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:03 am

Schools do this to make money.

My school has TA's who do weekly overviews of the 1L courses, and small group tutors to help the dumb kids. To get into the small group sessions, a student had to either 1) mess up on the 1-week intro course before the start of the first semester, or 2) get below a C average after 1st semester grades come out. The school does not allow good students to join, even if they ask.

The purpose of these classes is to decrease the amount of people who keep their contingent scholarships. People who did bad first semester ended up doing much better second semester. And contrawise, those who did well first sem., did worse second sem. This resulted in a classes with median grades, and a lot of people with lost scholarships.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:28 am

1L the TA sessions for me ranged to extremely helpful to a waste of time. None were ever limited based on class ranking.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:35 am

mrloblaw wrote:I really don't understand any of the "How to lawschool" advice market. Learn the black letter rules (and the exceptions to them/minority rules), learn how to apply those rules to fact patterns by synthesizing the flow of how judges write opinions, and learn how to structure an exam so that you don't lose points on an instructor who has no idea what you're rambling on about.

In other words, you should be Getting to Maybe.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 pm

PDaddy wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:I really don't understand any of the "How to lawschool" advice market. Learn the black letter rules (and the exceptions to them/minority rules), learn how to apply those rules to fact patterns by synthesizing the flow of how judges write opinions, and learn how to structure an exam so that you don't lose points on an instructor who has no idea what you're rambling on about.

In other words, you should be Getting to Maybe.

Dood, you jacked thexfactor's 'tar.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”