Going Home for Fall Break? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ikki

Bronze

Going Home for Fall Break?

Post by Ikki » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:14 am

My dad just got a bonus from work and is offering to pay for my plane tickets to go home and visit. I'm in school in NY and I would be flying to SoCal. For all you 2Ls here, would that be a good idea? I know people usually start outlining during that week and it provides ample time to really catch up on anything one might have missed. I know I can get shit done if I go home, but I don't know if I should do it. Any thoughts?

oh and obligatory 666 post:

plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: Going Home for Fall Break?

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:22 am

Not a 2L, but if you know that you can get shit done, why wouldn't you go home?

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:25 am

plenipotentiary wrote:Not a 2L, but if you know that you can get shit done, why wouldn't you go home?
I'm not sure... Might just be freaking out, a 2L during ASW told me that most people that leave during Fall Break end up doing not very well. They go home thinking they can perform as well as being close to the law school and end up doing other things. I would be staying in an apartment by myself, so maybe it would make it easier to concentrate, I would be at my parent's only for breakfast. etc.

agathos

New

Post by agathos » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:18 am

I will go to my best friend's wedding . I suposse to be groomsman :D

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:12 am

It's too early to not go if you are keeping up with everything. I debated Thanksgiving for a while because it was so close to finals, but Fall Break is early so I don't see a problem assuming you're caught up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:38 am

Go home. Seeing your parents and chillin' for a bit can probably re-energize you. At the same time, it depends...I'm always a little fucked up after long flights. I think it has to do with the altitude.

JCUGuy0428

New

Post by JCUGuy0428 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:15 am

I took Fall Break off. I had planned on doing the reading for my next few classes and starting to outline. Needless to say, I barely did anything.

What I did do, (and the same in the spring with Spring Break), was essentially take Fall break off, with the knowledge that when I got back to school I was going to kick it into super high gear for the rest of the semester with reading and outlining and getting ready for finals (and memo writing). I took Thanksgiving break completely off. I knew I wanted to take Thanksgiving break off, so I worked hard to be able to do so. And I didn't miss a home football game, either. If you can focus each day, you can do all these things and succeed.

I did the same thing in the Spring.

It really did a good job of refreshing me and getting me ready to hit it hard getting ready for finals.

Some of my friends who stayed and "worked" over Fall Break did not do so in spring semester because they really didn't get much done because they just needed a break after 7 or 8 weeks of classes and wanted to take a break.

Doing work over Fall Break isn't going to make or break you. For me, it's everything I do after fall break. For others, its everything you do after thanksgiving break.

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks guys, so far it looks like going home for Fall Break won't be such a bad idea after all.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:43 am

wtf is fall break

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ikki

Bronze

Post by Ikki » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:08 am

thecilent wrote:wtf is fall break
I'm assuming you are in a quarter system? At my school we get a break starting on Oct. 8th and classes resume on Oct. 17th.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:20 am

Ikki wrote:
I'm assuming you are in a quarter system? At my school we get a break starting on Oct. 8th and classes resume on Oct. 17th.
Damn. We have the 17th through the 19th.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:46 am

Ikki wrote:
WHAT! That is so long. We don't have a fall break either, and we aren't on a quarter system.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:14 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Ikki wrote:
WHAT! That is so long. We don't have a fall break either, and we aren't on a quarter system.

same

i thought the guy was referring to thanksgiving break

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:33 pm

Curse you NYU. Fall break?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:44 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:It's too early to not go if you are keeping up with everything. I debated Thanksgiving for a while because it was so close to finals, but Fall Break is early so I don't see a problem assuming you're caught up.
Yeah I agree with this.

Just for the sake of comparison: I didn't go home on my Fall Break but I went home on my Spring Break. I got a bunch of stuff done over Fall Break and barely anything done over Spring Break. Same GPA both semesters. Like BarbellDreams, the toughest thing for me was deciding about Tgiving. My parents essentially forced me to come home for that but I stayed away from school as little as possible; I think I was only gone for 24 hours. Obviously that's not really possible since you're NY-->SoCal.

I say go home for Fall Break especially because you probably can't for Tgiving. I very much doubt any adverse consequences.

quiver

Silver

Last edited by quiver on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quiver

Silver

Last edited by quiver on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:17 pm

FWIW, I went home for Thanksgiving and actually managed to get work done and go out with friends one night. Outlining was probably helped out by getting a bad cold and being hopped up on Sudafed :lol:. Also went home for both Easter and Passover. However, for me "home" was about an hour and a half driving distance from school, so it really wasn't a big thing.

I really doubt going home for a few days in October is going to hurt you. And that's even if you end up doing absolutely nothing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”