Partner hypocrisy "Oh, I didn't get into law to make money"

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NightHooded

Partner hypocrisy "Oh, I didn't get into law to make money"

Postby NightHooded » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:20 pm

I've heard a couple partners mention things similar to the above. They talk about working hard, working all the time, etc. etc. then at some point pepper in this whole holier-than-thou "oh I don't do this for the money."

Maybe I'm just cynical but I can't imagine anyone working that hard, talking about their kids they never see and sacrifice for, and truly making a lot of money, and yet being driven by some unknown X factor. I mean is this just lawyer-speak for, "I'm just cranky right now I didn't go into finance."

downing

Re: Partner hypocrisy "Oh, I didn't get into law to make money"

Postby downing » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:24 pm

NightHooded wrote:I've heard a couple partners mention things similar to the above. They talk about working hard, working all the time, etc. etc. then at some point pepper in this whole holier-than-thou "oh I don't do this for the money."

Maybe I'm just cynical but I can't imagine anyone working that hard, talking about their kids they never see and sacrifice for, and truly making a lot of money, and yet being driven by some unknown X factor. I mean is this just lawyer-speak for, "I'm just cranky right now I didn't go into finance."

Because the grass is always greener.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:49 pm

I mean, I'm sure they do lots of interesting cases/deals and that aspect can partly drive them. That said, change their salary to 50k with no bonuses and, everything else held constant, I doubt many of them would be where they are.

Also, this:
downing wrote:Because the grass is always greener.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:24 am

NightHooded wrote:I've heard a couple partners mention things similar to the above. They talk about working hard, working all the time, etc. etc. then at some point pepper in this whole holier-than-thou "oh I don't do this for the money."

Some people actually enjoy their jobs. Some people even enjoy jobs that you think are unenjoyable.

If I was at a major firm, I could easily see myself staying just from the trip of constantly working on deals/cases that are making the papers. And personally, the less time I spent home with the wife and kids (don't worry; I currently have neither), the better.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:46 am

I personally know both ends of the spectrum. Those that hate their job and in it just for the $ and those who genuinely like their jobs and wouldn't do something else even if it paid more.

There are some people that really like what they do and those are the happy lawyers in my experience.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:02 am

I know a partner who works about 70 hours a week. Hes always at the firm. I can tell he really likes what he does even though hes constantly stressed. Some people actually like being that busy, it makes them feel good about themselves. Theres nothing wrong with that.

ClarDarr

Postby ClarDarr » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:28 am

First, I think if you reduce most salaries 90% the people doing those jobs would not do them anymore. Pay typically corresponds to the level of time/stress/skill/risk/responsibility of a job and a 90% reduction would irritate anyone.

Second, i think there are things far worse than choosing a job because you're good at it (which I'll presume most partners are) and it pays well.

Finally, I think the intellectual challenge, rigor and competition might be equally if not more attractive parts of the job.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:48 am

One partner at a V30 told me:
There are 3 important things about a job; (1) doing something you enjoy, (2) the pay, (3) the lifestyle. You get to choose 2.

downing

Postby downing » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:03 am

Extension_Cord wrote:I know a partner who works about 70 hours a week. Hes always at the firm. I can tell he really likes what he does even though hes constantly stressed. Some people actually like being that busy, it makes them feel good about themselves. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Well put.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:04 am

downing wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:I know a partner who works about 70 hours a week. Hes always at the firm. I can tell he really likes what he does even though hes constantly stressed. Some people actually like being that busy, it makes them feel good about themselves. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Well put.

More rewarding than memorizing the restatement of contracts, dontcha think?

introversional

Postby introversional » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:09 am

kahechsof wrote:One partner at a V30 told me:
There are 3 important things about a job; (1) doing something you enjoy, (2) the pay, (3) the lifestyle. You get to choose 2.

2 + 3 FTW.

With enough pay, 3 will invariably engulf whatever hold ups you might have had about 1. ( or lack of #1)

downing

Postby downing » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 am

kahechsof wrote:
downing wrote:

Well put.

More rewarding than memorizing the restatement of contracts, dontcha think?

Oban

Postby Oban » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:19 am

downing wrote:

Well put.

Workaholics die younger.

Remember, money is nice but, you can't take it with you.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:21 am

introversional wrote:
kahechsof wrote:One partner at a V30 told me:

2 + 3 FTW.

With enough pay, 3 will invariably engulf whatever hold ups you might have had about 1. ( or lack of #1)

Maybe, but I don't think what they pay associates puts you there.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:55 am

You're looking at this the wrong way. People who make partner at top firms probably have other doors open along the way. They could probably have gone in-house somewhere and started accruing stock options. If they were doing it for the money they probably would've went for chances at even more money.

As much as it's unclear to law students whether you can make partner somewhere, it starts becoming clearer once you're a mid-level associate. If you're really on partner track then that actually becomes your lower-pay, lower-risk career path eventually. People who make partner and stay partner are there for more than just the money at that point. They're there because they enjoy the work, or at least because they enjoy the relative stability they've accrued, and they'd rather stay put then take another set of risks all over again.

Of course they're doing it to get paid. What they mean is they're not doing it because it was the highest-paying possibility for them. They had other choices, some of which could have paid much better, and they didn't take them.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Oban wrote:
downing wrote:

Well put.

Workaholics die younger.

Remember, money is nice but, you can't take it with you.

What does dying of heart disease have to do with liking your job? I suppose you could say you have less time to enjoy your employment...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”