How is the MPRE Roughly Scored?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: How is the MPRE Roughly Scored?

Postby mvp99 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:39 pm

passed... well above the required score. studied hard 8-10 hours

Re: How is the MPRE Roughly Scored?

Postby PropFan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:26 pm

I have a somewhat unique perspective in this, given that I first took the MPRE in 1984 shortly after completing my Professional Responsibility class in law school. As I recall, I did not study particularly hard for the exam, and I certainly did not take a review class. Even so, I scored a 79, which met the jurisdiction's requirement of a 75. Fast-forward 31 years, wanting to be admitted to another jurisdiction via reciprocity. The bad news, though, is that I needed an MPRE score of at least an 85 for admission. So, I signed up for the Kaplan course and obsessively made use of every resource: video (twice!); outline (multiple times); bar notes (reviewed multiple times); and four practice exams, taking care to read the explanations of questions I missed, also reading explanations of questions I got right but had flagged as questionable. I suppose I spent about 25-30 hours studying. This time, I scored a 120. I'm not bragging about that. Rather, I think this just demonstrates that for the vast majority of us, we need to do more than minimal studying (like I did the first time), and you probably don't need to over-study (like I did the second time). Having said that, there is certainly no harm in over-studying, and you can be almost positive you will get the score you need.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”