For you 2L+ Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
johansantana21

Silver

For you 2L+

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:08 pm

Did you guys miss any lectures during 1L?

luthersloan

Bronze

Re: For you 2L+

Post by luthersloan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:11 pm

Yes, I think almost everyone does.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Get an old outline and either E&E's or X in a Nutshell and you will be more than fine.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:29 pm

What about getting lecture notes? Already missed a few classes.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:50 pm

I maxed out my skips in almost all my classes when it came to 3-4 weeks before finals.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm doing the class readings but I missed a few classes. Got the lecture notes and stuff but how important is class? Won't make this a habit but considering I've missed like 5 classes I want to make sure I'm not so behind.

Maybe I should go see the prof?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:50 pm

johansantana21 wrote:I'm doing the class readings but I missed a few classes. Got the lecture notes and stuff but how important is class? Won't make this a habit but considering I've missed like 5 classes I want to make sure I'm not so behind.

Why are you missing so many classes this early?

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:15 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:I'm doing the class readings but I missed a few classes. Got the lecture notes and stuff but how important is class? Won't make this a habit but considering I've missed like 5 classes I want to make sure I'm not so behind.

I'm sick :(

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:24 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

If you can type online, you can go to class.

Unless your vomiting or passing out, you really shouldn;t be missing class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

Mom?

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Mom?
If this advice is not common sense to him (considering the importance of grades and what's on the line) then probably not even mom could help him, although that would be a good starting point.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 pm

I take my grades seriously. I've only not gone to class when I have a reliable person who can forward me the notes and I keep up with the readings. I know it's not a good idea, just was wondering how much damage had been done.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Mom?
If this advice is not common sense to him (considering the importance of grades and what's on the line) then probably not even mom could help him, although that would be a good starting point.
Mom?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:42 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Mom?
Mom?
lolololol

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Mom?
Mom?
haha
johansantana21 wrote:Did you guys miss any lectures during 1L?
I didn't miss any but you can almost always get notes from someone if you do. I don't think too much damage has been done by missing classes this early in the semester but there's really no substitute for being in class IMO so I'd avoid it as much as possible.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Im a 1L, so take this with a handful of salt, but it seems like class really just reiterates the reading so far.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:53 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Im a 1L, so take this with a handful of salt, but it seems like class really just reiterates the reading so far.

A bad idea, young man.

It depends on the professor. Yes its usually a waste of time, but sometimes you get what leews (highly reccomended) calls "nuggets" of information. I.e. in my fed income tax, the professor said, and remember in real life and on the exam, you should always challenge relevancy on 401 grounds followed by 403 grounds.

He's telling us how to answer part of his exam question. That makes it worth it for me.

Speaking of nuggets, I couldn't get your under pants clean. So I'm just going to throw that pair away.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:55 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Im a 1L, so take this with a handful of salt, but it seems like class really just reiterates the reading so far.
Yes, except when the professor goes off on:

a) What's going to be on the final

b) What the professor "thinks" the law is (and is different from the supplements)

This is the main reason I make sure not to skip a class. You never know when this is going to happen and fellow students may miss the distinction.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:56 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:

A bad idea, young man.

It depends on the professor. Yes its usually a waste of time, but sometimes you get what leews (highly reccomended) calls "nuggets" of information."
You beat me to it! :)

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Relax dooderz.

Im not saying class is worthless, but if youre sick and missing for a legitimate reason, you likely didnt miss all that much, and this early in the semester its prolly not gunna make or break your year.

All Im saying.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:01 pm

2-3 absences for each class is generally fine. There's always a chance you may miss something critical that you won't be able to glean otherwise, but it's small if you're not missing a ton of class.

Many 2Ls miss way more time in classes that are curved the same as 1L classes and still maange to do fine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:01 pm

kapital98 wrote:

b) What the professor "thinks" the law is (and is different from the supplements)

This is the main reason I make sure not to skip a class. You never know when this is going to happen and fellow students may miss the distinction.
I may have beat too it, but I forgot to mention this one.

The quickest way to get a low grade is to state a definition that is not your professors/paraphrased on your professor's definition.

When they see a definition that conflicts with their own or is clealry not theirs
-You will lose points because you will not have the right elements, and not be able to do the correct analysis. Even if you do get the relatively correct elements, you essentially flagging for the teacher: I didn't pay attention in class/ go to class, instead I thought it would be better to read supplements? That'll piss em off.

-if there is multiple choice, you might not be able to understand the answers.

OP/JerrySienfeld the met-
And I know what you're thinking- Well I get the notes from a class mate so thatll have the right definition. Here's a fun game to play- next time you skip class because you are too cool for school, get notes from 2 different people. I guarantee 1 will have stuff the other doesn't and vice versa.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

The quickest way to get a low grade is to state a definition that is not your professors/paraphrased on your professor's definition.

When they see a definition that conflicts with their own or is clealry not theirs
-You will lose points because you will not have the right elements, and not be able to do the correct analysis. Even if you do get the relatively correct elements, you essentially flagging for the teacher: I didn't pay attention in class/ go to class, instead I thought it would be better to read supplements? That'll piss em off.

And I know what you're thinking- Well I get the notes from a class mate so thatll have the right definition. Here's a fun game to play- next time you skip class because you are too cool for school, get notes from 2 different people. I guarantee 1 will have stuff the other doesn't and vice versa.
Heres a fun game:

/self

So get notes from two people and youll be ok? Right?

Im not saying its a good idea to skip class all the time, but dude said thats not what hes doing. Youve never missed class homie?

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:07 pm

goodolgil wrote:2-3 absences for each class is generally fine. There's always a chance you may miss something critical that you won't be able to glean otherwise, but it's small if you're not missing a ton of class.

Many 2Ls miss way more time in classes that are curved the same as 1L classes and still maange to do fine.

Thats because the classes are curved. With curved classes if lots of people are missing class, then lots of people... wait, wait, do I really have to explain this to you?

In 1L, there will not be a lot of people missing class.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:08 pm

bport hopeful wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

Heres a fun game:

/self

So get notes from two people and youll be ok? Right?

Im not saying its a good idea to skip class all the time, but dude said thats not what hes doing. Youve never missed class homie?
Of course I miss class, how else would I know to get it from 2 people?

Also, your violent turn scares me a little bit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”