Simple Contracts HYPO Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
fdr123

New

Simple Contracts HYPO

Post by fdr123 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Buyer and seller enter into a contract where buyer agrees to purchase a car for 100$. Buyer breaches the contract. What are the expectancy damages that will be awarded to seller if the car is still valued at 100$?

fdr123

New

Re: Simple Contracts HYPO

Post by fdr123 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:47 pm

???

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:05 am

Lots of attempts to dissuade people from attending law school on these forums, but this is definitely a new one.

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:42 am

fdr123 wrote:Buyer and seller enter into a contract where buyer agrees to purchase a car for 100$. Buyer breaches the contract. What are the expectancy damages that will be awarded to seller if the car is still valued at 100$?
What do you think the damage award should be?

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:45 am

I.P. Daly wrote:
fdr123 wrote:Buyer and seller enter into a contract where buyer agrees to purchase a car for 100$. Buyer breaches the contract. What are the expectancy damages that will be awarded to seller if the car is still valued at 100$?

However if the seller posted an ad in a newspaper after buyer1 breached he could recover those fees.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:28 pm

The $ sign comes before the number, not after.

Redzo

Bronze

Post by Redzo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Nice try, Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

target

Silver

Post by target » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Another contract hypo (feel free to disregard if this is hijacking op's thread)

As a broke law student, A browses through an internet site where ppl sell, among other things, their furniture directly to buyer. A sees a table that he likes. However, the seller asks for $100. A can't afford it. As sends the seller an email asking: "Is the table still available? will you take $50 for the table?" The seller responds "Yes, and I will take $50 for the table." A replies to the first seller: "Sorry, I am not interested."

The seller, meanwhile, don't know that A simultaneously contacts a second seller, and buys a table from that second seller for for $30.

The first seller is pissed. He comes to you for legal advice. What will you tell him?

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:38 pm

target wrote:Another contract hypo (feel free to disregard if this is hijacking op's thread)

As a broke law student, A browses through an internet site where ppl sell, among other things, their furniture directly to buyer. A sees a table that he likes. However, the seller asks for $100. A can't afford it. As sends the seller an email asking: "Is the table still available? will you take $50 for the table?" The seller responds "Yes, and I will take $50 for the table." A replies to the first seller: "Sorry, I am not interested."

The seller, meanwhile, don't know that A simultaneously contacts a second seller, and buys a table from that second seller for for $30.

The first seller is pissed. He comes to you for legal advice. What will you tell him?
I understand that this is a completely douchey response, but:

What do you think his legal advice should be?

I learned an important and painful lesson this summer. If you pose a legal question to a supervising attorney, you better be prepared for the question: "what do you think the answer is?"

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
I.P. Daly wrote:

However if the seller posted an ad in a newspaper after buyer1 breached he could recover those fees.
Unless there was some reliance or some reason that the car was worth more to Buyer than the $100 that it is supposedly valued at (which we would expect since he bothered to make the contract).... right?

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:14 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:

I agree with this.

A car is a good so the UCC would apply in this situation.

Under the UCC, in the case of a buyer's breach, the seller may, among other things, resell the goods and recover damages for the breach. 2-703.

This would probably be the seller's best remedy in this situation.

target

Silver

Post by target » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:54 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
I understand that this is a completely douchey response, but:

What do you think his legal advice should be?

I learned an important and painful lesson this summer. If you pose a legal question to a supervising attorney, you better be prepared for the question: "what do you think the answer is?"
lol. chill dude. I am not your supervising attorney. I was bored in contract, so I made something up to make my study more interesting.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:42 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

I agree with this.

Under the UCC, in the case of a buyer's breach, the seller may, among other things, resell the goods and recover damages for the breach. 2-703.

UCC doesn't apply to the sale of used goods.

Or does it? I'm a bit rusty.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

agathos

New

Post by agathos » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:19 pm

UCC apply when the value of good is more than $500 , I think , in this hypo it does not apply .Or I confuse it with Statute of frauds ? However it can apply to used good
I.P. Daly wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

I agree with this.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:29 pm

agathos wrote:UCC apply when the value of good is more than $500 , I think , in this hypo it does not apply .Or I confuse it with Statute of frauds ? However it can apply to used good
I.P. Daly wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

I agree with this.

I think the $500 is from the Statute of Frauds.

agathos

New

Post by agathos » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:34 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
agathos wrote:UCC apply when the value of good is more than $500 , I think , in this hypo it does not apply .Or I confuse it with Statute of frauds ? However it can apply to used good
I.P. Daly wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

I agree with this.

I think the $500 is from the Statute of Frauds.
thanks

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:35 pm

See UCC 2-102: "...this Article applies to transactions in goods..."
target wrote:
lol. chill dude. I am not your supervising attorney. I was bored in contract, so I made something up to make my study more interesting.
Right on. That was douchey. I had a nasty boss this summer and that stuff got burned into my head.

I don't think the exchange in your hypos was "sufficient to show agreement, (including conduct by both parties) which recognizes the existence of such a contract. UCC 2-204.

What do you think?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:05 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:
I don't think the exchange in your hypos was "sufficient to show agreement, (including conduct by both parties) which recognizes the existence of such a contract. UCC 2-204.

What do you think?
No, I don't think the buyer made an offer, therefore, he didn't enter into an agreement when the seller agrees to sell the table for $50.
How do we even know if the buyer and seller in this hypo are merchants? Should we just assume that when the terms "buyer" and "seller" are used?

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:00 pm

target wrote:
I.P. Daly wrote:

What do you think?
No, I don't think the buyer made an offer, therefore, he didn't enter into an agreement when the seller agrees to sell the table for $50.
How do we even know if the buyer and seller in this hypo are merchants? Should we just assume that when the terms "buyer" and "seller" are used?

Doesn't matter if they were merchants under the UCC in this situation.

TyTyLoco

New

Post by TyTyLoco » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:43 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
I.P. Daly wrote:

Don't forget. Car dealers are usually lost volume sellers. So the seller can make up the $100 for not selling the car to the buyer that breached. (or 100$)

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:46 pm

TyTyLoco wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:
I.P. Daly wrote:

Don't forget. Car dealers are usually lost volume sellers. So the seller can make up the $500 for not selling the car to the buyer that breached. (or 500$)
Check the dates before posting. These people might be retired by now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:51 pm

dead at the idea of a senior associate getting a notification that some 1L is correcting his UCC analysis on TLS right now.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:10 am

What do you mean "valued"? If the seller sales the car for $100, then damages would be extra marketing effort, if any. If I have to run a multi year marketing process, breacher is getting hit with that.

In real world this is all contractually agreed because nobody just relies on UCC defaults, but get this is a law school exam.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”