So where do the law school drop outs go?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
longhornlaw

Re: So where do the law school drop outs go?

Postby longhornlaw » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 pm

There was a guy in my office who dropped out after a semester and a half and became an accountant. Audits sound worse than 1L.

hexyz

Postby hexyz » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:40 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Sooo.. how's that Java treating you?

Java is going great.
C++ is going great as well.

Can't wait to get into cryptography.

Thanks for asking. :)

You are in law school, right? How is that going for you?

hexyz

Postby hexyz » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:41 pm

This thread should have been posted in the Social Networking Section. Hmmmm...

NegaDuck

Postby NegaDuck » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:42 pm

LjakW wrote:One guy ended up at Comedy Central:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demetri_Martin

Funny guy. Wonder what he got on his LSAT. A guy who went to grade school with my brother dropped out and went into pharmaceutical sales. He was making like $200K a year at 25.

haus

Postby haus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:48 pm

NegaDuck wrote: went into pharmaceutical sales.

So, is that the title that your friendly neighborhood cocaine dealer goes by now a days?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:53 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
shock259 wrote:If I went to a TTT and I didn't do well first semester, I'd drop out. No point in waiting, really.

What an obnoxious thing to say...and I doubt you would.

Obnoxious? Not at all. At a TTT you're already looking at a long uphill battle. If you're at median or below coming from a school like Southwestern Cal Law you absolute should drop out unless you're dad is either K, L, or Gates in K&L Gates.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:40 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
shock259 wrote:If I went to a TTT and I didn't do well first semester, I'd drop out. No point in waiting, really.

Obnoxious? Not at all. At a TTT you're already looking at a long uphill battle. If you're at median or below coming from a school like Southwestern Cal Law you absolute should drop out unless you're dad is either K, L, or Gates in K&L Gates.

Not everyone wants to do big law. In fact, most people at 3rd tier schools want to do something outside of biglaw.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:56 pm

shepdawg wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:

Not everyone wants to do big law. In fact, most people at 3rd tier schools want to do something outside of biglaw.

If you go to a TTT you never had a shot at biglaw to begin with. I am talking about getting a 40k public interest job. If you honestly think that being at median or below at a TTT and have a decent chance of landing one of those you are dreaming. I have friends above median at my T2 that dominates its secondary market that are struggling mightily. If you read any sort of statistics or news about the current state of the market you would know this. People thinking "Oh, if I don't get good grades I guess I'll just go become a PD or a DA" are absolutely delusional. DA/PD and similar jobs are being absolutely fought over right now.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Obnoxious? Not at all. At a TTT you're already looking at a long uphill battle. If you're at median or below coming from a school like Southwestern Cal Law you absolute should drop out unless you're dad is either K, L, or Gates in K&L Gates.[/quote]
Not everyone wants to do big law. In fact, most people at 3rd tier schools want to do something outside of biglaw.[/quote]

If you go to a TTT you never had a shot at biglaw to begin with. I am talking about getting a 40k public interest job. If you honestly think that being at median or below at a TTT and have a decent chance of landing one of those you are dreaming. I have friends above median at my T2 that dominates its secondary market that are struggling mightily. If you read any sort of statistics or news about the current state of the market you would know this. People thinking "Oh, if I don't get good grades I guess I'll just go become a PD or a DA" are absolutely delusional. DA/PD and similar jobs are being absolutely fought over right now.[/quote]

Well, the original statement was that you should drop out, period, if you had lousy first semester grades, and judging by the personalities on here, I am guessing that mean's below top 10%. The initial statement also said drop out, regardless of what your goal was. Everyone knows the legal market is saturated. Everyone has read the articles in the NYT and WSJ, and probably have read the commiseration of people who can't find a job, and have decided to use their time to blog about it, rather than actually look for one.

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:58 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:

Whether or not you're right, or could be right, doesn't preclude you from being obnoxious. And for fuck's sake, everyone is different.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:22 pm

OT, but I read a REALLY interesting article on the percent of non-bar-passes (10-12% of all JD holders) and what they eventually go on to do. The article also did a great job laying out empirical data on the association with salaries and bar passage rate, schools, GPA etc. Damn good read, extremely eye opening! The best part is the author identified the trends that relate all the back to what field of law people initially set out for and the correlation between bar failure.

Public policy law = higher likelihood of 1st time bar failure
Big Law = higher instances of bar passage

As soon as I get home I'll post a cite to the article

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:37 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:OT, but I read a REALLY interesting article on the percent of non-bar-passes (10-12% of all JD holders) and what they eventually go on to do. The article also did a great job laying out empirical data on the association with salaries and bar passage rate, schools, GPA etc. Damn good read, extremely eye opening! The best part is the author identified the trends that relate all the back to what field of law people initially set out for and the correlation between bar failure.

BigLaw is not a discipline of law. Before insinuating that those who do, or set out to do, public policy, aren't as intelligent as those doing BigLaw, you may want to learn that. BigLaw is not defined by the difficulty of the cases or the scope, but mostly by money. How much the attorney's charge, how much the firm is worth, the number of branches, and especially the financial resources of the clients. If a lawyer is making $300,000 a year at Hale and Dorr. then he is doing BigLaw, regardless of the substance of the cases. A much different job from a DA, but is it even fair to compare what job is more challenging, or requires more brain power? No, I don't think so.

But yeah, sounds like a great read....

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:56 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:OT, but I read a REALLY interesting article on the percent of non-bar-passes (10-12% of all JD holders) and what they eventually go on to do. The article also did a great job laying out empirical data on the association with salaries and bar passage rate, schools, GPA etc. Damn good read, extremely eye opening! The best part is the author identified the trends that relate all the back to what field of law people initially set out for and the correlation between bar failure.

BigLaw is not a discipline of law. Before insinuating that those who do, or set out to do, public policy, aren't as intelligent as those doing BigLaw, you may want to learn that. BigLaw is not defined by the difficulty of the cases or the scope, but mostly by money. How much the attorney's charge, how much the firm is worth, the number of branches, and especially the financial resources of the clients. If a lawyer is making $300,000 a year at Hale and Dorr. then he is doing BigLaw, regardless of the substance of the cases. A much different job from a DA, but is it even fair to compare what job is more challenging, or requires more brain power? No, I don't think so.

I was not insinuating, nor did the article imply that BigLaw was thought of as a (majored in) discipline. The article was conveying the correlation between personal professional aspirations and first time bar passage rates. It was quite fascinating. I literally could not put the 25 page document down even though I had a ton of reading to complete!

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:00 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:

I was not insinuating, nor did the article imply that BigLaw was thought of as a (majored in) discipline. The article was conveying the correlation between personal professional aspirations and first time bar passage rates. It was quite fascinating. I literally could not put the 25 page document down even though I had a ton of reading to complete!

Public policy law is a discipline of law, and BigLaw is not, so it's not fair to compare the two. Who the fuck cares? If it doesn't insinuate the type of people who go into a certain field of law, then what is it supposed to say?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:02 pm

waxecstatic wrote:

But yeah, sounds like a great read....Public policy law is a discipline of law, and BigLaw is not, so it's not fair to compare the two. Who the fuck cares? If it doesn't insinuate the type of people who go into a certain field of law, then what is it supposed to say?

UMAD?

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:06 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:

Public policy law is a discipline of law, and BigLaw is not, so it's not fair to compare the two. Who the fuck cares? If it doesn't insinuate the type of people who go into a certain field of law, then what is it supposed to say?

LoL, you keep talking about disciplines.

It's this simple:

Q: Where do you see yourself working after law-school?

A: Biglaw = statistically higher first time bar passage rates

A: Gov't job = statistically lower first time bar passage rates

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:52 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:

LoL, you keep talking about disciplines.

It's this simple:

Q: Where do you see yourself working after law-school?

A: Biglaw = statistically higher first time bar passage rates

A: Gov't job = statistically lower first time bar passage rates

...No? If you have data on this in the forum of a 3D Doughnut Chat, I'd love to see it.

Or a Doughnut.

I'm cool either way.

Promise.

meshtdagn

Postby meshtdagn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:00 pm

Back to the topic, I know a dropout who is in bigconsulting. Dropped out from a place where biglawl was not really an option. Crushing it now.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:02 pm

meshtdagn wrote:Back to the topic, I know a dropout who is in bigconsulting. Dropped out from a place where biglawl was not really an option. Crushing it now.

You can't talk about Canada like that. :|

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:15 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:

If your dad was Gates of K&L Gates, you'd probably be pretty set these days.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:52 pm

http://www.swlaw.edu/pdfs/jle/jle601yakowitz.pdf

waxecstatic

Postby waxecstatic » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:40 am

LAWYER2 wrote:

http://www.swlaw.edu/pdfs/jle/jle601yakowitz.pdf

I was going to comment but after reading all the concessions the author makes on the flaws and limitations of the data, I'm reading an article on FHM about things girls say on Facebook, and really don't know why anyone cares about what happens to people who didn't pass the bar exam and what they reported as their interest on some survey they filled out when they took the LSAT, from the early 90s.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:42 am

waxecstatic wrote:I was going to comment but after reading all the concessions the author makes on the flaws and limitations of the data, I'm reading an article on FHM about things girls say on Facebook, and really don't know why anyone cares about what happens to people who didn't pass the bar exam and what they reported as their interest on some survey they filled out when they took the LSAT, from the early 90s.

This sentence makes my head hurt.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:13 am

I think my friend dropped out of law school (I haven't asked her outright) and is now interning as a pastry chef.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:39 am

Pleasye wrote:I think my friend dropped out of law school (I haven't asked her outright) and is now interning as a pastry chef.

Delicious.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”