Need some note taking advice (readings and in class) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nyx

New

Need some note taking advice (readings and in class)

Post by Nyx » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:31 am

Hi all,

I'm aware this will seem like a really stupid question to most of you...but...

I'm really unsure about taking notes on supplements and required reading. I read all of the "how to do well in law school" guides and it seems that a lot of people made notes a week in advance on the required reading and supplements and then fleshed them out during class/cut things out. I've been trying to do this for my classes but making the notes is extremely time consuming and very little of the content gets discussed in class.

Would you guys and gals mind telling me how you use supplements and the required reading effectively? Do you read them after, add to class notes with them, etc? I'm really curious as to what has worked for others over time as I'm (obviously) clueless and overwhelmed with readings.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Re: Need some note taking advice (readings and in class)

Post by Extension_Cord » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:58 am

I take note in at home and then again in class. What cover in class is what will be on the exam most likely, so thats the most important. My reading notes are to just help me referece my stuff in class.

Torts I just brief cases because whats in my brief is 95% of what we cover in class. If theres anything special mentioned, I write it on the margins.

crossarmant

Silver

Re: Need some note taking advice (readings and in class)

Post by crossarmant » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 am

I make notes on the cases, lightly brief, focus on the rule gleaned from the cases and the text before and after while I'm reading. Then I take notes on what's discussed in class, I put particular emphasis on where my reading notes and class notes meet in substance.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”