Scholarships after 1L? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Silver

Scholarships after 1L?

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:09 pm

During orientation my school mentioned they give academic scholarships away for 2L and 3Ls that may not have received one going into 1L. Is this something they just say or is it something schools actually do? Is it like really difficult to get, like be in the top 5% or more like top 33%? I was in a room full of 700 people, I didnt have a chance to inquire with the registar.

Thanks!

kahechsof

Bronze

Re: Scholarships after 1L?

Post by kahechsof » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:10 pm

AFAIK, you get it by getting a transfer admission somewhere else and showing it to them.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:19 pm

kahechsof wrote:AFAIK, you get it by getting a transfer admission somewhere else and showing it to them.
Interesting.

Can anyone confirm this?

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:26 pm

My school gave me a 100% scholarship after my 1L year because I dominated gradeswise. It does happen, but that was like top 5%. Each school is likely different.

I don't think you have to show them a transfer admission - but they are doing it to prevent you from transfering. It worked - free lawschool vs. 2 full tuition years at UofM? It was really a tough decision, but I'm practicing at a large firm, making good money, and also working with UofM graduates, but with $80k (or whatever) less debt that I would have had otherwise.

Your school likely publishes this information in some sort of handbook, student guide, or on the website.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:12 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:My school gave me a 100% scholarship after my 1L year because I dominated gradeswise. It does happen, but that was like top 5%. Each school is likely different.

I don't think you have to show them a transfer admission - but they are doing it to prevent you from transfering. It worked - free lawschool vs. 2 full tuition years at UofM? It was really a tough decision, but I'm practicing at a large firm, making good money, and also working with UofM graduates, but with $80k (or whatever) less debt that I would have had otherwise.

Your school likely publishes this information in some sort of handbook, student guide, or on the website.
If you dont mind me asking, where did you attend?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:00 am

It happens a lot for the l33t students at TTT. However, sometimes even the good students get shafted with a token scholarship offer after 1L year. My TTT gave out too many scholarships to incoming 1L's to give good scholarships to the top new 2L's. They lost a few, but most just sucked it up and took the weak ass scholarship.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:02 am

I go to a T14. Their strategy is to take away your financial aid after the first year.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:03 am

shepdawg wrote:l33t students at TTT.
lol, WUUUUTTTTT?

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:14 pm

shoeshine wrote:I go to a T14. Their strategy is to take away your financial aid after the first year.
huh? Did you trip and accidentally type "T14" instead of "TTT"?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:40 pm

5ky wrote:
shoeshine wrote:I go to a T14. Their strategy is to take away your financial aid after the first year.

I shit you not. Look into it. Make sure your scholarship is guaranteed (none of that top quarter stipulation bs) because sometimes "Financial Aid" and grants magically disappear after your first year.

At least that is what the 2Ls say. And if you search on this forum you will find that is pretty common where the scholarship or aid is not guaranteed.

crazyblink653

Bronze

Post by crazyblink653 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:51 pm

all depends on the school. i was around top 5% at a T25 school and they hardly gave me anything, even with a transfer admission to a T10. Needless to say, i didn't stick around.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:10 pm

shoeshine wrote:
5ky wrote:

I shit you not. Look into it. Make sure your scholarship is guaranteed (none of that top quarter stipulation bs) because sometimes "Financial Aid" and grants magically disappear after your first year.

At least that is what the 2Ls say. And if you search on this forum you will find that is pretty common where the scholarship or aid is not guaranteed.
out the school. I've never, ever heard of this for a T14 school.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:17 pm

5ky wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
5ky wrote:

He might be talking about "need based aid." Need based aid is an epic flame.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:22 pm

duckmoney wrote:
5ky wrote:
shoeshine wrote: I shit you not. Look into it. Make sure your scholarship is guaranteed (none of that top quarter stipulation bs) because sometimes "Financial Aid" and grants magically disappear after your first year.

He might be talking about "need based aid." Need based aid is an epic flame.
I've heard rumors that the UC schools have been doing that as of late. Apparently their definition of "need" changed when their state subsidized budgets were decimated. Unsubstantiated rumors though.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:31 pm

duckmoney wrote:He might be talking about "need based aid." Need based aid is an epic flame.
I am primarily talking about need based aid but also grants. Anything not guaranteed for three years can disappear.

Search around on TLS and you will find many T14ers who it has happened to. I am not sure about the individual circumstances but I know it happens.

Truthfully, I thought it was a TLS myth till I met 2Ls and 3Ls IRL who it happened to.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”