Study Group Suggestions

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BeachedBrit

Study Group Suggestions

Postby BeachedBrit » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what exactly to do in a study group? I have the general idea, just want to make sure we're not doing anything we shouldn't be/not doing things we should be.

(Please, no need for the study groups are a waste of time responses, I'm dedicating a very minimal amount of time to this, which is acceptable to me)

Thanks

target

Re: Study Group Suggestions

Postby target » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:58 pm

BeachedBrit wrote:Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what exactly to do in a study group? I have the general idea, just want to make sure we're not doing anything we shouldn't be/not doing things we should be.

(Please, no need for the study groups are a waste of time responses, I'm dedicating a very minimal amount of time to this, which is acceptable to me)

Thanks

To me, you shouldn't sleep with ppl in your study group, but it's just me.

On a serious note, how can we tell you what you need to know without you telling us what you already know?

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:20 am

target wrote:
BeachedBrit wrote:Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what exactly to do in a study group? I have the general idea, just want to make sure we're not doing anything we shouldn't be/not doing things we should be.

Thanks

On a serious note, how can we tell you what you need to know without you telling us what you already know?

But, how can he tell us what he knows without knowing what we know that he needs to know but doesn't know?

target

Postby target » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:32 am

Redzo wrote:
But, how can he tell us what he knows without knowing what we know that he needs to know but doesn't know?

:mrgreen:

I am afraid what I know is what he knows, and thus, make what I tell him he needs to know redundant to what he already knows.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 am

Fuck TLS

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:04 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Fuck TLS

this is obviously relevant... :shock:

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:18 pm

The key to a study group is finding people who are smarter than you. Beyond that, whatever works.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:19 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:The key to a study group is finding people who are smarter than you. Beyond that, whatever works.

what if you are obviously the smartest person in your class?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:19 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:The key to a study group is finding people who are smarter than you. Beyond that, whatever works.

It's hard to figure out who is actually smart.

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:20 pm

TheFactor wrote:

what if you are obviously the smartest person in your class?

Then I just study alone!

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Seriously though... even the brightest people benefit from discussing their ideas with somebody else. It's essential to making sure that you are on the right track and aren't missing anything. But, if you are more intelligent than the other students, they won't be much help with this. So... go to the professors' office hours! Talk to them. 10 minutes talking to your professor can be more enlightening than 4 hours talking to a group of idiots in your class.

Another strategy: Talk law to random strangers. It's kinda like House, in that episode where he was on an airplane and he didn't have his team, but he needed to bounce ideas off someone to help him think, so he picked random people on the plane and asked them medical questions, just to get the ball rolling.

Tip: Go up to random people on the street and say, "You! When is an agreement legally binding? What is the policy reasoning behind the doctrine of consideration?"

target

Postby target » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:30 pm

Redzo wrote:Seriously though... even the brightest people benefit from discussing their ideas with somebody else. It's essential to making sure that you are on the right track and aren't missing anything. But, if you are more intelligent than the other students, they won't be much help with this. So... go to the professors' office hours! Talk to them. 10 minutes talking to your professor can be more enlightening than 4 hours talking to a group of idiots in your class.

Another strategy: Talk law to random strangers. It's kinda like House, in that episode where he was on an airplane and he didn't have his team, but he needed to bounce ideas off someone to help him think, so he picked random people on the plane and asked them medical questions, just to get the ball rolling.

Tip: Go up to random people on the street and say, "You! When is an agreement legally binding? What is the policy reason behind the doctrine of consideration?"

Pretty sure go to office hours will accomplish the bold statement. And I laugh hard at the tip part. Can I study with you?

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Sorry.... no. Not unless you are as smart as I am!

Are you??

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:37 pm

Just discuss stuff, don't distribute work load.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:50 pm

target wrote:

Thanks

Seems like solid advice to me.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:10 pm

zeth006 wrote:
target wrote:

Thanks

I thought that was the whole point of a study group.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:37 am

smokyroom26 wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
target wrote:

Thanks

I just had some dirty thoughts enter my mind...

Never mind, carry on.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:08 am

zeth006 wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
target wrote:

I just had some dirty thoughts enter my mind...

Never mind, carry on.

Those last few quotes are rife with innuendo.

agathos

Postby agathos » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:26 pm

I do not know how to reject to help other people ...Help me ...
I have to use nearly one or two hour to answer all kinds of question for my classmate.(at less ten persons ...)
Their questions are totally foolish ,they just did not read the case at all or they can not understand what professor means ....btw ,they did not read any supplement , brief case or google it ....
I do not want to borrow my outline to them in final exam (most of them have not idea about what outline is ), what should I do .. :cry:

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:18 am

agathos wrote:I do not know how to reject to help other people ...Help me ...
I have to use nearly one or two hour to answer all kinds of question for my classmate.(at less ten persons ...)
Their questions are totally foolish ,they just did not read the case at all or they can not understand what professor means ....btw ,they did not read any supplement , brief case or google it ....
I do not want to borrow my outline to them in final exam (most of them have not idea about what outline is ), what should I do .. :cry:

Start by being less of a douche.

Also, learn how to use proper grammar.

target

Postby target » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:51 am

TheFactor wrote:
agathos wrote:I do not know how to reject to help other people ...Help me ...

Start by being less of a douche.

Also, learn how to use proper grammar.

And learn proper definition (?)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”