Any other full time day 1Ls working? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hous

Bronze

Any other full time day 1Ls working?

Post by hous » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:45 pm

I work 20 hours a week.

Its tough, but manageable.

Gold

Re: Any other full time day 1Ls working?

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:47 pm

I can't imagine around finals. You just started right? This is your slowest time of the year by far so I wouldn't judge your ability to work off of your current schedule.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:49 pm

blowhard wrote:I can't imagine around finals. You just started right? This is your slowest time of the year by far so I wouldn't judge your ability to work off of your current schedule.
This is the first time since high school I haven't worked 30 hours while taking classes, and it is amazing. I have time to really comprehend all the material. Right now I could definitely work around 15 hours, but there is no way I can hold that up come late October.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:20 pm

blowhard wrote:I can't imagine around finals. You just started right? This is your slowest time of the year by far so I wouldn't judge your ability to work off of your current schedule.
I dont plan on working at all for the two weeks leading into finals.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:00 pm

hous wrote:
I dont plan on working at all for the two weeks leading into finals.

You might want to avoid working the month before finals. Your legal writing memo will make that period kind of busy as well. Working outside of the month before finals won't hurt you much other than limiting your ability to network/socialize.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:54 am

My school makes 1L's sign a K that they won't work more than 5 hours/week. Work + LS = nonlaw job.

frost

Bronze

Post by frost » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:37 am

I'm a 3L now, but I also worked 20hrs/wk during my fall semester 1L. I would have continued in the spring but my section had a crap schedule that didn't give us big blocks of time in between classes. I'm the kind of person who needs to feel slightly overwhelmed always so working actually helped me manage my time better. Spring semester I always felt like I had a ton of time and procrastinated more. Working is definitely hard but doable... good luck!

CanuckObserver

New

Post by CanuckObserver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:58 pm

i worked about 20 hours a week during 1L in a non-law related position, and 10-20 hours a week during 2L and 3L in a position with my bar in the disciplinary department (summered with them in 1L and 2L as well).

It was not always easy, but I did have a mortgage to pay, and it was interesting work (the bar stuff at least). It was flexible enough that I could rearrange my schedule when needed.

You do have to be very adept at time management and you cannot afford to procrastinate. This was more the case for me after the beginning weeks of 1L.

I definitely could not socialize with classmates as much, but I did not mind as I still was able to socialize with my family and non-school friends often enough.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:56 pm

I notice that the guys saying they worked 1L year are leaving out details about their current employment situation.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:57 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
This is the first time since high school I haven't worked 30 hours while taking classes, and it is amazing. I have time to really comprehend all the material. Right now I could definitely work around 15 hours, but there is no way I can hold that up come late October.
I was planning on 20 hours a week, but now plan changed and I am not working. It is much more enjoyable this way. I still think it's doable, maybe even without impacting my grades/performance at all, but having the free time to take discretionary breaks, devote more time to do public interest work, or simply indulging in a hobby ... it feels amazing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”