Too many gunners Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SilverE2

Silver

Re: Too many gunners

Post by SilverE2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Cupidity wrote:
FlanAl wrote:Just started at a T20 and it seems like everyone is gunning super hard. A good deal of people practically quote from the TLS study guides and are in the library all day. Its the first week of school and a lot of people weren't out at all over the weekend because they wanted to get studying done. Anyone else feeling like their school is a lot more gunnerish than expected?
They will burn out and fail.

I got drunk and went to hockey games all year --> top 10%.

Fuck them.
write the drunk hockey game guide to top 10% plz

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:08 am

SilverE2 wrote:I'm at Vandy, its super laid back.
That will change. Enjoy the honeymoon.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:11 am

I've only met a few gunners. Most people are chill and relaxed. I know a lot who are going away for the 3 day weekend and etc. I probably won't do any work until Sunday night...

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:29 am

Peg wrote:That's still a little scary, basically because it means you're up against people who have read all the study guides you've read. Sucks.

My section is almost self-consciously anti-gunner, but I think everyone's working just as hard. They are just being very quiet about it.
Undercover gunner

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:59 am

What this forum needs is yet another thread of new 1Ls talking about gunners.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:34 pm

I don't have gunners- but everyone is working very hard and about a third of them seem to be working very smart- looking towards the exam, doing hypos, etc. I will admit that I was kind of hoping this wouldn't be the case and I would have less competition who knew what was actually going on the first semester... but since they are all great people I'll just have to live with being median or just above.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:54 pm

spleenworship wrote:I don't have gunners- but everyone is working very hard and about a third of them seem to be working very smart- looking towards the exam, doing hypos, etc. I will admit that I was kind of hoping this wouldn't be the case and I would have less competition who knew what was actually going on the first semester... but since they are all great people I'll just have to live with being median or just above.
Or maybe below lulz

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:14 pm

spleenworship wrote:I don't have gunners- but everyone is working very hard and about a third of them seem to be working very smart- looking towards the exam, doing hypos, etc. I will admit that I was kind of hoping this wouldn't be the case and I would have less competition who knew what was actually going on the first semester... but since they are all great people I'll just have to live with being median or just above.
Already doing hypos? Shit I'm behind already.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:51 pm

wtf already doing hypos, much more gunnerish than here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Already doing hypos? Shit I'm behind already.
I wouldn't worry about it. Provided the rest of your class isn't doing them already, I'm guessing you'll be fine. It is just me who has to apparently catch up to my overly clever peeps. Maybe it is because everyone is so concerned about getting a job upon graduation- it isn't like I am in the T14.

oh, and @ grizz: dude, a third of them studying smart plus a few lucky ones... median seems most likely, not below. There are some seriously lost, confused, or slackerific people in my class who should fill up the bottom half, realistically.

Metaread

Bronze

Post by Metaread » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:26 pm

People use TLS study guides? Are they of any use?

I think my class has only 2 true gunners, and several others who are "gunner-ish." One person whose comment was approved by our prof. in class when he was cold-called decided to then become a gunner. Over the next 4 classes, he proceeded to raise his hand at virtually every juncture. To what extent he knows his stuff is questionable.

I'd say don't worry about it. I think gunners have more enthusiasm than intelligence in most cases, though SOME gunners do seem truly intelligent as far as applying the law to the facts.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:29 pm

FlanAl wrote:haha that but it just seems like the level to compete a year ago was like 50-60 hours a week according to TLS and people at asw's. it seems like a lot of people from my class have decided to work about 80 hours a week. It will probably mellow out. I'm doing all the readings and I understand the severity of the situation I'm not going to skip out on free drinks so I can read ahead though. Maybe everyone just wanted a free labor day weekend and decided to work extra hard this week?

EDIT
Also should be added that I'm doing law related stuff (class, studying etc.) at least 10-12 hours a day and I definitely feel like I'm doing less than most of my classmates. It's probably just due to the weekend though.

Brah it's probably because your section suuuuckkkkssss.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:36 pm

Metaread wrote:People use TLS study guides? Are they of any use?

I think my class has only 2 true gunners, and several others who are "gunner-ish." One person whose comment was approved by our prof. in class when he was cold-called decided to then become a gunner. Over the next 4 classes, he proceeded to raise his hand at virtually every juncture. To what extent he knows his stuff is questionable.

I'd say don't worry about it. I think gunners have more enthusiasm than intelligence in most cases, though SOME gunners do seem truly intelligent as far as applying the law to the facts.
I am not sure those who continuously raise hand after giving right answer are true gunners. They probably just feel more confident and want to reaffirm their confidence. I pay more attention to those who're usually quiet but sound articulate in their response.

And shit, after reading this thread, I feel like I need to up my tempo.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:45 pm

I've noticed a few gunners so far. I've also noticed a bunch of people paying tens of thousands of dollars, with legit questions, who keep quiet for fear of being labeled a gunner. The other side of the coin.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:55 pm

The true gunners are fucking silent. I call them snipers. They are the people who got four outlines for your Torts class before the semester even started. They don't speak in class unless they are called on but when they do they it sounds like they are quoting the restatement from memory. They drink with you at bar review but always seem to be three days ahead in the readings. When you ask them to explain a hypo they recite a clear and concise application of the BLL to the facts while discovering three issues you have yet to cover in class.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:22 am

shoeshine wrote:The true gunners are fucking silent. I call them snipers. They are the people who got four outlines for your Torts class before the semester even started. They don't speak in class unless they are called on but when they do they it sounds like they are quoting the restatement from memory. They drink with you at bar review but always seem to be three days ahead in the readings. When you ask them to explain a hypo they recite a clear and concise application of the BLL to the facts while discovering three issues you have yet to cover in class.
Meh just sounds like someone who works hard. Fine by me. As long as I don't have to listen to them and they don't flaunt it to psych people out

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:36 am

shoeshine wrote:The true gunners are fucking silent. I call them snipers. They are the people who got four outlines for your Torts class before the semester even started. They don't speak in class unless they are called on but when they do they it sounds like they are quoting the restatement from memory. They drink with you at bar review but always seem to be three days ahead in the readings. When you ask them to explain a hypo they recite a clear and concise application of the BLL to the facts while discovering three issues you have yet to cover in class.
Having done quite well 1L year, I can confidently that nobody should ever memorize the restatement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:17 am

kwais wrote:I've noticed a few gunners so far. I've also noticed a bunch of people paying tens of thousands of dollars, with legit questions, who keep quiet for fear of being labeled a gunner. The other side of the coin.
No one is stopping you from asking the prof a question after class.

Just stop doing it frequently on everyone else's time. Chances are whatever the professor has to say is much more important than whatever you have to ask.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:13 am

johansantana21 wrote:
kwais wrote:I've noticed a few gunners so far. I've also noticed a bunch of people paying tens of thousands of dollars, with legit questions, who keep quiet for fear of being labeled a gunner. The other side of the coin.

Just stop doing it frequently on everyone else's time. Chances are whatever the professor has to say is much more important than whatever you have to ask.
right I get that. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. A few people have relayed their question after class to classmates and the reaction is something like "oh, that's a good question, I would have like to here what the professor would have said. I was confused on that point as well". When this stuff persists, you have crossed the line into groupthink with this whole gunner-shaming thing.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:09 pm

kwais wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:

right I get that. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. A few people have relayed their question after class to classmates and the reaction is something like "oh, that's a good question, I would have like to here what the professor would have said. I was confused on that point as well". When this stuff persists, you have crossed the line into groupthink with this whole gunner-shaming thing.
Questions are fine. Multiple questions during class are not. Neither are extended hypotheticals you pulled out of your ass.

target

Silver

Post by target » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:07 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:
Having done quite well 1L year, I can confidently that nobody should ever memorize the restatement.
Maybe you can give me more insights on this. In my contract class, the prof pulls everything out of the restatement. I mean literally everything. He prefaces every case with restatement definition (for now, and the UCC later on).

I guess I don't have to memorize word-by-word the restatement. But should I memorize the key elements of each section of the restatement?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”