General advice for LRW Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
croggs

New

General advice for LRW

Post by croggs » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey all,

Like many 1Ls, my first LRW assignment is approaching, and I was wondering if anyone had any general tips for making a smooth transition to legal writing. It's difficult for me to understand how I am progressing since I cannot just take a paper to the writing lab and get feedback (like the good ole days). I know the post is vague, but if anyone had any insight into what makes a "good memo" as a legal writer, I'd appreciate it!

target

Silver

Re: General advice for LRW

Post by target » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 am

Does your instructor tell you what s/he wants specifically on the memo? I will have my first memo due in a few weeks as well, and I just follow what my instructor says she wants. Be concise and support your arguments.

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:07 am

1. CRAC/IRAC/whateveryoulearn
2. Be concise
3. Smooth transitions
4. ?????
5. Profit

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:47 am

Don't freak out on LRW assignments. Good writing is good writing. The trick with legal writing is to provide all the necessary information to the relevant audience (judge, client, etc.) in as clear a way as possible. My suggestion is always to outline your memo/brief. Understand what the legal issue is. Lay out the elements for that issue (if its negligence: duty, breach, causation, harm), and figure out a good method for navigating within those elements in your written product. Keep sentences short and clear. Avoid unnecessary repetition.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:56 am

Here is my bit on LRW.
My creds: I improved from well below the curve on first assignment to getting B+ on first semester, to getting A second semester.
What I did (at the end)-
1. Spend a ridiculous amount of time on it. Start when it is assigned, and work on it every available study minute besides when reading for class.
2. Follow all directions and especially helpful pointers precisely. So, if your professor gives out a checklist for you, make sure you actually go through it.
3. Read it through and make sure it does everything it purports to do. So if you have a Rule, make sure that rule has a Proof, an explanation, an application, and a conclusion. Nothing slides through.
4. Make sure it does everything it should do. No gaps in logic, even if obvious.
5. Do it how the professor wants, not your own brilliant way. Even if you are getting straight A's besides for this class.

croggs

New

Post by croggs » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:23 am

kahechsof wrote:Here is my bit on LRW.
My creds: I improved from well below the curve on first assignment to getting B+ on first semester, to getting A second semester.
What I did (at the end)-
1. Spend a ridiculous amount of time on it. Start when it is assigned, and work on it every available study minute besides when reading for class.
2. Follow all directions and especially helpful pointers precisely. So, if your professor gives out a checklist for you, make sure you actually go through it.
3. Read it through and make sure it does everything it purports to do. So if you have a Rule, make sure that rule has a Proof, an explanation, an application, and a conclusion. Nothing slides through.
4. Make sure it does everything it should do. No gaps in logic, even if obvious.
5. Do it how the professor wants, not your own brilliant way. Even if you are getting straight A's besides for this class.
vyelps wrote:Don't freak out on LRW assignments. Good writing is good writing. The trick with legal writing is to provide all the necessary information to the relevant audience (judge, client, etc.) in as clear a way as possible. My suggestion is always to outline your memo/brief. Understand what the legal issue is. Lay out the elements for that issue (if its negligence: duty, breach, causation, harm), and figure out a good method for navigating within those elements in your written product. Keep sentences short and clear. Avoid unnecessary repetition.

Thanks for the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”