does anyone else love law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
crossarmant

Silver

Re: does anyone else love law school

Post by crossarmant » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:50 am

While it's only been two full weeks, half way through the third, I am enjoying the hell out of law school. Socially it's whatever, a little too clique-y and reminiscent of middle/high school with too many people wanting to go to the pubs every night. But academically and work-wise, I love it. After being out of school for a while, it's great to finally be back in classes, engaged in discussion, learning something with practical and applicable purposes to a profession rather than reading useless "rounding oneself" course materials. I even enjoy doing the nightly reading of cases and taking notes. It's just an engrossing topic and I find it all very enjoyable to work on. Let's hope that feeling persists for the rest of my life.

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:56 am

crossarmant wrote:While it's only been two full weeks, half way through the third, I am enjoying the hell out of law school. Socially it's whatever, a little too clique-y and reminiscent of middle/high school with too many people wanting to go to the pubs every night. But academically and work-wise, I love it. After being out of school for a while, it's great to finally be back in classes, engaged in discussion, learning something with practical and applicable purposes to a profession rather than reading useless "rounding oneself" course materials. I even enjoy doing the nightly reading of cases and taking notes. It's just an engrossing topic and I find it all very enjoyable to work on. Let's hope that feeling persists for the rest of my life.
werd up

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:00 am

crossarmant wrote:While it's only been two full weeks, half way through the third, I am enjoying the hell out of law school. Socially it's whatever, a little too clique-y and reminiscent of middle/high school with too many people wanting to go to the pubs every night. But academically and work-wise, I love it. After being out of school for a while, it's great to finally be back in classes, engaged in discussion, learning something with practical and applicable purposes to a profession rather than reading useless "rounding oneself" course materials. I even enjoy doing the nightly reading of cases and taking notes. It's just an engrossing topic and I find it all very enjoyable to work on. Let's hope that feeling persists for the rest of my life.
Little off on bolded, I think

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:09 am

thecilent wrote:
A little off, but not too much. In undergrad I took classes in almost every discipline but never once applied them. I imagine understanding mutual assent and consideration in contracts is much more useful for being a lawyer than learning the formation process of schist would ever be.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:13 am

diane23 wrote:i think i got really lucky. my boring ass professor is torts - where the subject matter is pretty interesting. and my "dry" classes - civpro and contracts - are young, super energetic, super funny professors.

i honestly love law school. i thought it'd be like studying 12 hours a day for the LSAT - which i wasn't crazy about - but there is so much new, fresh material that it isn't anything like that.

i worked for 2 years and hated working. i spent almost 4 months doing absolutely nothing and hated myself. i can't say i'm crazy about the subject matter, especially in civpro, but the professors literally inspire me to want to do all my work right after class and then some.

is this like the honeymoon period in a new relationship when you think your girlfriend is the hottest thing ever? will i later find out about the MMF threesomes she's been in? or does that happen when you get a below-median grade for a class you busted your ass on?

You haven't even had your first exam, or interview, or not had an interview...

You're jumping the gun.

Oh and all the people who love "learning about law"- you realize that is intellectual masturbation. The vast majority of what you practice has nothing to do with what you learn in law school.

Oh and all you people talking about your wise professors etc- most of them have the same degree as you (a JD) and only worked about 2-3 years. It is highly likely that by the end of the year, you will have as much formal legal training in torts as your professor does. And, if you work at a small firm, after about 6 months you will probably have more legal experience in torts than your professor does, since they probably worked for a high powered firm where they were a glorified paralegal for a couple of years.

Those of you wanting to make a lot of money- you will be doing mind numbing work, absolutely nothing like what you learn.

THose of you wanting to work for the gov't- you might have fun, but I hope you didn't take out a lot of debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:36 am

crossarmant wrote:
thecilent wrote:
A little off, but not too much. In undergrad I took classes in almost every discipline but never once applied them. I imagine understanding mutual assent and consideration in contracts is much more useful for being a lawyer than learning the formation process of schist would ever be.

Very off on the bolded. If you plan on being a prosecutor, mutual assent and consideration are worthless. Defense attorney? Worthless. Litigator? Worthless.

And in the types of job where you will use it, you will go much more in depth and on specific topics- you will be researching the relevant state and federal rules during practice and learning about it then.

Are you aware that consideration rules you are learning about vary by state? Are you learning the up to date rules for your state? Or are you learning about cases from a mixture of states that your professor picked from a text book.

What you are learning is mostly useless, and even when what you are learning *could* be helpful, the teachers choose to use a mixture of rules from different states and time periods, that represent no real, coherent body of law.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:43 am

Right now, I am in federal income taxation. Surely, this is a class where we will learn lots of real life skills!

WE HAVE SPENT THAT LAST 40 minutes talking about WHETHER AIRLINE FREQUENT FLYER MILES SHOULD BE TAXABLE.

Either they are, or they aren't- that is all that is relevant to my practice of law. The last 40 minutes, which I'm sure I have been paying like 200 dollars for, has been full of useless bullshit that my rain-man professor enjoys talking about.

You think they want to talk abotu real-life practical skills?

No.

Reason # 1: Those bore them- why teach you how to practice when they could pose stupid questions and show how smart they are.

Reason #2: They don't know about real life practicing skills. Most of them went to harvard/yale/standford, where they learned nothing about the practice of law, and then they practice for 2-3 years, where they picked up little to nothing.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:48 am

Actually, I take it all back. You learn tons of useful things in law school.

That is why, after 3 years, and 100k+, you can go just go ace the BAR. It's not like you have to pay 2k and spend 2 months at a bar review class learning everything you were supposed to be learning, but you didn't learn it because your criminal law professor had you pretend to be a jury member so that you can understand what legislators think, because you will no doubt all become congress members.

Its not like, when your professor could have been telling you about what the relevant good samaritan law was, she was talking about what type of liability should attach on good samaritan laws, and why?

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:54 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Actually, I take it all back. You learn tons of useful things in law school.

That is why, after 3 years, and 100k+, you can go just go ace the BAR. It's not like you have to pay 2k and spend 2 months at a bar review class learning everything you were supposed to be learning, but you didn't learn it because your criminal law professor had you pretend to be a jury member so that you can understand what legislators think, because you will no doubt all become congress members.

Its not like, when your professor could have been telling you about what the relevant good samaritan law was, she was talking about what type of liability should attach on good samaritan laws, and why?
:D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:37 am

People wanting to go to pubs every night is reminiscent of middle school and high school? Shit I guess I grew up in a Norman Rockwell painting.

But yeah I feel you. There are definitely a lot of hard workers and people on top of their game. There's also the "misery poker" players one-upping each other on how late they stayed up or how hard it is in the 3rd week. And the people who revel in blowing off the reading, yeah they do exist. I think people get the impression that I'm a milquetoast based on the last bar review, but really I love drinking, but alone-not cause I'm an alcoholic but I hate having to pee while I'm out. I've never turned down a lunch/dinner/general hanging out social invitation, but have never gone out to bars earlier than a Thursday. I know it's the beginning of the semester, but I'm not an undergrad anymore. It's not even the workload-just putting that shit behind me.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:52 am

Naked Dude wrote:
People wanting to go to pubs every night is reminiscent of middle school and high school? Shit I guess I grew up in a Norman Rockwell painting.

But yeah I feel you. There are definitely a lot of hard workers and people on top of their game. There's also the "misery poker" players one-upping each other on how late they stayed up or how hard it is in the 3rd week. And the people who revel in blowing off the reading, yeah they do exist. I think people get the impression that I'm a milquetoast based on the last bar review, but really I love drinking, but alone-not cause I'm an alcoholic but I hate having to pee while I'm out. I've never turned down a lunch/dinner/general hanging out social invitation, but have never gone out to bars earlier than a Thursday. I know it's the beginning of the semester, but I'm not an undergrad anymore. It's not even the workload-just putting that shit behind me.
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Seriously though, more than one beer and...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Seriously though, more than one beer and...
Are you OCD or just a fear of public restrooms?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:43 pm

It's not a fear of public restrooms OR OCD, it's just that after a few drinks you really feel like you have to pee. It's just uncomfortable

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Naked Dude wrote:It's not a fear of public restrooms OR OCD, it's just that after a few drinks you really feel like you have to pee. It's just uncomfortable
So go to the bathroom bro. How does the amount you have to pee differ based on whether or not you are in your home? If you're drinking, you'll need to pee. So pee.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:12 pm

Kronk wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:It's not a fear of public restrooms OR OCD, it's just that after a few drinks you really feel like you have to pee. It's just uncomfortable
So go to the bathroom bro. How does the amount you have to pee differ based on whether or not you are in your home? If you're drinking, you'll need to pee. So pee.
Yeah but alcohol makes you feel like you gotta go more. It's irritating.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:12 pm

....too much information.
But I do know what you mean. Still bar review is fun. And I think this week's should be good. and it's close for once. Some of the other ones have been a bit of a trip.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:17 pm

Yall need to multitask -- drink while you read. It is really the best of both worlds.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:22 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Yall need to multitask -- drink while you read. It is really the best of both worlds.
Dude, I started doing this about a year ago and...I felt like the smartest man in the world for a little while. A nice IPA, a stack of articles I need to plow through, BOOM. Great success.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
Kronk wrote:
I'm actually gonna go out on a limb and agree with you here. It's just a hassle since everyone else that's out is going to need to pee too. Drinking at home = convenience of toilet, easy accessibility to food, don't have to worry about how to get home, and much cheaper (on the food and alcohol end). Hence why house parties trump all IMO (although some of the bathroom issues still remain).

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Oh and all the people who love "learning about law"- you realize that is intellectual masturbation. The vast majority of what you practice has nothing to do with what you learn in law school.
I kind of figure they are teaching us how to learn law, and why it works that way. I am OK with that...

I found in my previous profession that knowing "why" made me better at what I did. Anybody could perform the technical skills required with a little training. Even though I ended up learning about 5,000 things I never used, they frequently tied together with my more technical knowledge in a way that made me considered one of the best in my area at my job.

TL;DR- sometimes knowing why makes you better, and I am hoping that is what I will get out of it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
Kronk wrote:
How does that differ whether you are at home or out and about?

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Man, my school must start early, Im ending my 4th week of 1L. So far loving it, Legal Writing is making me rethink my affection though, lol.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:05 pm

Kronk wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
Kronk wrote:
How does that differ whether you are at home or out and about?
It's not different, but you don't have to go on a trek downstairs and around the corner and squeeze through crowds of people multiple times just to go.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:23 pm

the best part of law school is the fact that i found a real clean toilet in the library so i can poopat school....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”