does anyone else love law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sidhesadie

Bronze

Re: does anyone else love law school

Post by sidhesadie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:59 pm

I know my Con Law is closed book, NO notes or outlines. Not sure about the rest yet.

CanuckObserver

New

Post by CanuckObserver » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:29 pm

For those worried about closed book exams - I actually found I did better on those than on the open book. They sort of narrow out those who really know the stuff compared to those who just have really good outlines. Those marking them also realize you were doing it closed book, so seem to be more impressed when you can refer to cases in the right places too.

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Oh. Closed book exams=flash cards make sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Grizz wrote: Until everyone writes substantially the same paper, but you get a B-
P/F

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Grizz wrote: Until everyone writes substantially the same paper, but you get a B-
P/F
My school's a P/F too but for some reason they still give us a grade. The grade is reported to employers during OCI.

If it was just P/F I wouldn't put much effort into the memos. Because it's technically graded I'm going to put in a good faith effort and hope to get ~B+ (median.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:39 am

kapital98 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
P/F
My school's a P/F too but for some reason they still give us a grade. The grade is reported to employers during OCI.

If it was just P/F I wouldn't put much effort into the memos. Because it's technically graded I'm going to put in a good faith effort and hope to get ~B+ (median.)
That's interesting. If grade is reported, how would it be P/F practically? I believe we just have credit/no credit with 25% receiving HP. I actually wished we had grades so we get some performance feedback, but we were told that we will receive extensive feedback/critique.

I am going to put a lot of effort into LRW. As someone who have worked extensively, I know ability to clearly and efficiently communicate is one of the most essential skills at any work place. No matter what happens inside of your head, you still need to convince someone else in order to work as a lawyer.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:50 am

r6_philly wrote: I am going to put a lot of effort into LRW. As someone who have worked extensively, I know ability to clearly and efficiently communicate is one of the most essential skills at any work place. No matter what happens inside of your head, you still need to convince someone else in order to work as a lawyer.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:57 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
r6_philly wrote: I am going to put a lot of effort into LRW. As someone who have worked extensively, I know ability to clearly and efficiently communicate is one of the most essential skills at any work place. No matter what happens inside of your head, you still need to convince someone else in order to work as a lawyer.
Don't stop there. You're ahead.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:00 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
Shows why someone like me needs to take writing seriously. I obviously don't take writing on TLS very seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:04 am

ResolutePear wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
No need to continue, I has already won.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:05 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
What did you win? When did the race start?

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:08 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
GOD DAMMIT YOU CAPITALIST RABBIT! DON'T STOP OR THE COMMUNIST TURTLE WILL CATCH UP!!

But, very well. Can't argue there.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:08 am

I love law school. I could do it my whole life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:20 am

r6_philly wrote:
TheFutureLawyer wrote:
What did you win? When did the race start?
I won at life. It started the day I was born.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:27 am

Been enjoying it so far, only 2 weeks in though.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:06 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:After a couple weeks, I think it's great. I have been out of the school game for a few years, so maybe that has influenced my opinion. I actually feel like the younger students (K-JD types) are missing out on the moment to a certain extent. To them this is just normal. Going to classes seems like a chore. Their professors are all lame. Their classmates don't dress hip enough for them. The subject matter is boorrriingg. Everything sucks. They're too cool for school.

But they're wrong. It is pretty much, dare I say this, a blessing to be able to spend ones time learning the law from amazingly accomplished and wonderfully unique professors (hopefully you have some of those where you are. If you don't think so, maybe it's you, not them, so check.).

Here's the typical law student schedule as I see it:
  • Get up and put on clothes that you want to wear, for some this means completely comfortable, for others it means looking killer. Either way, no one is telling you what to do or expecting anything out of you.
  • Eat a quick breakfast (or a slow one if you have the time).
  • Grab a cup of coffee on borrowed money (or maybe mommy & daddy's, or maybe yours that you've earned and saved).
  • Review your reading and notes from the prior day while enjoying your coffee and taking in the beautiful atmosphere you find yourself in. Notice the birds and trees. Definitely the trees and the way the light plays off of them, the dance that is occurring as the morning springs to life.
  • Head to your first class and behold the engaging conversation that is spurned on by your professor. You take for granted what he/she is doing, but teaching/leading a class well takes a lot of preparation, dedication, and passion. You are the envious spectator of a continually unfolding show. The majority of the people alive right now will NEVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY you now have on a daily basis. Soak in the glory of the cold call, revel in the beauty of off-point rants, and hold dear the constant questioning of the gunner sitting next to you. Soon this chapter will end in your life.
  • Your school day ends after attending classes most people will never attend. You feel great because you were prepared for the day and you benefited from the wisdom around you.
  • You figure out what work you need to get done before your head hits the pillow, and you put off for tomorrow that which can wait. You complete that which is for today while chatting with a friend you've recently made at orientation. Who knows, this can be the start of a friendship that lasts your lifetime.
  • You say your goodbyes and head for home, knowing full well that tomorrow morning you will have the opportunity to do it again. An opportunity that should not be squandered.
This is the gift you have been given, young 1L. Appreciate it appropriately. You are not too cool for school. Your professors and friends and assignments are not stupid. This is a time in your life you will always look back on. Be the person now that you hope to be in the future. Don't be a douche. Don't be cynical. Drink in the beauty of being a law school student in the greatest nation on earth (at least for now).
What is wrong with you? Could you have a more rosy vision of that which a person could conceivably learn without enrolling in law school? You left out the fact the opportunity comes with a price to the tune of 40K. Many people alive will never have the opportunity because they never sought out the opportunity in the first place, or perhaps couldn't afford it, or perhaps just weren't interested in it enough. Get up and put on clothes that you want to wear? Dude, don't know why you find this relevant, or meaningful, but whatever works for ya!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:17 am

Why do people keep bringing up this stupid fucking "you could learn all this without law school" thing? You people have absolutely given up on life before its even started. You are missing the point.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:26 am

kwais wrote:Why do people keep bringing up this stupid fucking "you could learn all this without law school" thing? You people have absolutely given up on life before its even started. You are missing the point.

Given up on life? Maybe going a bit too far there. It emphasizes the actual substance of law school versus the vision that people have of it.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:31 am

Yes, I love law school. I just smile and nod when people complain.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:41 am

MC Southstar wrote:Yes, I love law school. I just smile and nod when people complain.
I'm not complaining about it. I think the mindset a person has is fine for them, but it's not necessarily practical in terms of a future payoff, or professional security, which impacts your quality of life. Unless you're going for free, or you're a millionaire, or guaranteed a job, then the perspective you have on the characteristics of law school is not necessarily going to help you. Being unwaveringly optimistic is not necessarily going to bring forth a benefit that will justify having gone to law school, but devoting three years of opportunity cost as well as the expense of attending is necessary. So one thing is guaranteed, while the other isn't. Accordingly the vision a person has of a legal education is not always going to matter, so harping on others who recognize this is a bit absurd.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:43 am

waxecstatic wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:Yes, I love law school. I just smile and nod when people complain.
I'm not complaining about it. I think the mindset a person has is fine for them, but it's not necessarily practical in terms of a future payoff, or professional security, which impacts your quality of life. Unless you're going for free, or you're a millionaire, or guaranteed a job, then the perspective you have on the characteristics of law school is not necessarily going to help you. Being unwaveringly optimistic is not necessarily going to bring forth a benefit that will justify having gone to law school, but devoting three years of opportunity cost as well as the expense of attending is necessary. So one thing is guaranteed, while the other isn't. Accordingly the vision a person has of a legal education is not always going to matter, so harping on others who recognize this is a bit absurd.
TL;DR. Imagine me smiling and nodding.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanuckObserver

New

Post by CanuckObserver » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:27 pm

waxecstatic wrote:
kwais wrote:Why do people keep bringing up this stupid fucking "you could learn all this without law school" thing? You people have absolutely given up on life before its even started. You are missing the point.

Given up on life? Maybe going a bit too far there. It emphasizes the actual substance of law school versus the vision that people have of it.
Yes. Also, once you are actually practicing, you realize more and more how much you could have learned it on your own if you were committed to it, when you realize how much more you have to learn anyway (and will spend a career learning) as law school falls short of a lot as well. There is something to be said for the days when law was learned "on the job" without paying hundreds of thousands in tuition.

I do not see how that opinion is akin to "giving up on life". I very much enjoy the practice of law, and do not regret law school as in this day and age it is the way you get to being a lawyer, but that does not mean it is without criticism.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:31 pm

CanuckObserver wrote:
waxecstatic wrote:

Yes. Also, once you are actually practicing, you realize more and more how much you could have learned it on your own if you were committed to it, when you realize how much more you have to learn anyway (and will spend a career learning) as law school falls short of a lot as well. There is something to be said for the days when law was learned "on the job" without paying hundreds of thousands in tuition.

I do not see how that opinion is akin to "giving up on life". I very much enjoy the practice of law, and do not regret law school as in this day and age it is the way you get to being a lawyer, but that does not mean it is without criticism.
Yeah. I guess it just reached a point where there needed to be *some* barrier to entry. I think for a lot of less than stellar people though, getting into a law school is easier than convincing someone to take you on and learning on the job. Credentialization is the next big bubble. It's building for quite some time now.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:49 pm

waxecstatic wrote: Being unwaveringly optimistic is not necessarily going to bring forth a benefit that will justify having gone to law school,
But it does make the three years you have already committed to more fun :D . I have enough stress without worrying about the other stuff I can't control every day.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:54 am

r6_philly wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
P/F

That's interesting. If grade is reported, how would it be P/F practically? I believe we just have credit/no credit with 25% receiving HP. I actually wished we had grades so we get some performance feedback, but we were told that we will receive extensive feedback/critique.

I am going to put a lot of effort into LRW. As someone who have worked extensively, I know ability to clearly and efficiently communicate is one of the most essential skills at any work place. No matter what happens inside of your head, you still need to convince someone else in order to work as a lawyer.
The grade has no impact on GPA or class rank. For graduation purposes an A+ is equivalent to a C-.

The grade is on the transcript and showed to employers.

What impact this has I have no clue. I'm guessing it's something nice to show off but largely irrelevant.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”