does anyone else love law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
diane23

New

does anyone else love law school

Post by diane23 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:55 pm

i think i got really lucky. my boring ass professor is torts - where the subject matter is pretty interesting. and my "dry" classes - civpro and contracts - are young, super energetic, super funny professors.

i honestly love law school. i thought it'd be like studying 12 hours a day for the LSAT - which i wasn't crazy about - but there is so much new, fresh material that it isn't anything like that.

i worked for 2 years and hated working. i spent almost 4 months doing absolutely nothing and hated myself. i can't say i'm crazy about the subject matter, especially in civpro, but the professors literally inspire me to want to do all my work right after class and then some.

is this like the honeymoon period in a new relationship when you think your girlfriend is the hottest thing ever? will i later find out about the MMF threesomes she's been in? or does that happen when you get a below-median grade for a class you busted your ass on?

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Re: does anyone else love law school

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:58 pm

Just wait till you find out about the donkey shows in Tijuana with the midgets and such

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:59 pm

I have similar feelings, but I also just finished a two year stint of post-UG mindnumbing employment, so... yeah. This is pretty awesome right now. We'll see how long that lasts. I'm guessing another week at most.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi, I'm a 2L who is randomly surfing this forum, thought I'd answer. Yup, I love law school too, and I'd be pleased if you'd keep yer hands off the civ pro subject matter - that's my favorite!

I'm a little worried about the fact that you 'hated working and hated yourself when you were out of work, but here's hoping you've found something you can love in perpetuity. I'm still enjoying it and I don't think there's a 'honeymoon period' (though I don't really believe in that in relationships either). Good luck with grades; study your face off for tests and do the damn practice exams.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:43 pm

2L here. I love law school as well. Or maybe more accurately: I love the study of law. I've always found something interesting in every subject and my judicial internship over the summer only enhanced that feeling. No signs of the infamous 2L laziness setting in (although that might also be because I'm a transfer/classes haven't started yet).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Do you really love law school, or are you just saying it because you saw it?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:46 pm

sundance95 wrote:Do you really love law school, or are you just saying it because you saw it?

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:49 pm

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:51 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
sundance95 wrote:Do you really love law school, or are you just saying it because you saw it?
Not sure what to make of this. I guess that you think this joke was in the 96th percentile of funny-ness as compared to all other jokes?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:56 pm

Fair enough. Also, I'm enjoying lawl school so far besides gf being 4 hours south

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:04 am

I am loving LS so far. But I am only 3 weeks in, so that could totally change.

D'Angelo

Bronze

Post by D'Angelo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:21 am

i was called on the first day but I still like it! love is a strong word though...

DreamsInDigital

Bronze

Post by DreamsInDigital » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:36 am

spleenworship wrote:I am loving LS so far. But I am only 3 weeks in, so that could totally change.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Redzo

Bronze

Post by Redzo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:41 am

I am only a 1L and so only a few weeks in, but yes, I love it. I have been working unskilled jobs for the past 5 years and it feels good to be learning something.

I find the subject matter genuinely interesting.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:44 am

Well yeah, obviously 1L is amazing if we're going to compare it to working... Eventually school has to end and you'll have the same miserable grind again.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:22 am

After a couple weeks, I think it's great. I have been out of the school game for a few years, so maybe that has influenced my opinion. I actually feel like the younger students (K-JD types) are missing out on the moment to a certain extent. To them this is just normal. Going to classes seems like a chore. Their professors are all lame. Their classmates don't dress hip enough for them. The subject matter is boorrriingg. Everything sucks. They're too cool for school.

But they're wrong. It is pretty much, dare I say this, a blessing to be able to spend ones time learning the law from amazingly accomplished and wonderfully unique professors (hopefully you have some of those where you are. If you don't think so, maybe it's you, not them, so check.).

Here's the typical law student schedule as I see it:
  • Get up and put on clothes that you want to wear, for some this means completely comfortable, for others it means looking killer. Either way, no one is telling you what to do or expecting anything out of you.
  • Eat a quick breakfast (or a slow one if you have the time).
  • Grab a cup of coffee on borrowed money (or maybe mommy & daddy's, or maybe yours that you've earned and saved).
  • Review your reading and notes from the prior day while enjoying your coffee and taking in the beautiful atmosphere you find yourself in. Notice the birds and trees. Definitely the trees and the way the light plays off of them, the dance that is occurring as the morning springs to life.
  • Head to your first class and behold the engaging conversation that is spurned on by your professor. You take for granted what he/she is doing, but teaching/leading a class well takes a lot of preparation, dedication, and passion. You are the envious spectator of a continually unfolding show. The majority of the people alive right now will NEVER HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY you now have on a daily basis. Soak in the glory of the cold call, revel in the beauty of off-point rants, and hold dear the constant questioning of the gunner sitting next to you. Soon this chapter will end in your life.
  • Your school day ends after attending classes most people will never attend. You feel great because you were prepared for the day and you benefited from the wisdom around you.
  • You figure out what work you need to get done before your head hits the pillow, and you put off for tomorrow that which can wait. You complete that which is for today while chatting with a friend you've recently made at orientation. Who knows, this can be the start of a friendship that lasts your lifetime.
  • You say your goodbyes and head for home, knowing full well that tomorrow morning you will have the opportunity to do it again. An opportunity that should not be squandered.
This is the gift you have been given, young 1L. Appreciate it appropriately. You are not too cool for school. Your professors and friends and assignments are not stupid. This is a time in your life you will always look back on. Be the person now that you hope to be in the future. Don't be a douche. Don't be cynical. Drink in the beauty of being a law school student in the greatest nation on earth (at least for now).

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:26 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:34 am

Everything I expected and better. Beats working. Nice to use my head and think about something challenging.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:34 am

r6_philly wrote:Everything I expected and better. Beats working. Nice to use my head and think about something challenging.
That's right.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:38 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Everything I expected and better. Beats working. Nice to use my head and think about something challenging.
That's right.
Old people!

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:39 am

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
That's right.
Old people!
:D . Wish you were here!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote: :D . Wish you were here!
:D

Judging by the fact that you have time to type all that instead of reading/briefing cases, I probably should have been!

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:44 am

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote: :D . Wish you were here!
:D

Judging by the fact that you have time to type all that instead of reading/briefing cases, I probably should have been!
Tonight's Friday for me. I honestly haven't been on these forums really for a couple of weeks. What is this briefing you speak of -- for me it is all book briefing from here on out 8) . Best wishes!

target

Silver

Post by target » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:02 am

DreamsInDigital wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I am loving LS so far. But I am only 3 2 weeks in, so that could totally change.
Fixed for me. And I certainly hope to prolong this honeymoon period.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:08 am

I'd say the law school lovers are doin' it right. If you entered law school after leaving a job you got sick of, then you'll actually find the study of law preferable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”