how do you backup your files?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
random5483

Re: how do you backup your files?

Postby random5483 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:40 pm

OneEl14 wrote:
random5483 wrote:
OneEl14 wrote:
kalvano wrote:You can put pretty much anything on Dropbox. I run my Onenote files off of Dropbox so it automatically syncs when I open it, not matter what computer.

How do you do this?

1. Create a dropbox account at http://www.dropbox.com.
2. Install dropbox on all your computers.
3. Move your OneNote folders or create the new OneNote notebook in the Dropbox folder (saved on hardrive and auto syncs online).
4. Open the Notebook from your other computers.

After that you are all set. Any changes will sync to your dropbox and to any computer accounts with dropbox installed (given that they are all online). Offline computers will sync when they get online.

Appreciate it, thanks. If I simply copy an existing OneNote notebook into the dropbox folder, it won't automatically update? I need to actually move the notebook into the dropbox folder?

You can copy your existing notebook to the dropbox folder and it will work fine. However, you will also have to open the new notebook in your dropbox folder from OneNote to use it (ie. the old folder will not sync). Dropbox only syncs your dropbox folder. You can get around this with some other third party add-ons, but I found it easiest to move all my OneNote folders to a new folder in Dropbox. This way I don't have two copies of my Notebook, one which syncs and one which does not.

To clarify, Dropbox saves every file on your computer harddrive. It also saves a copy online. Any changes you make to the files on your harddrive (in the dropbox folder) will automatically sync with the online copy of the folder and then sync to all your computers. Unlike other online backup solutions, dropbox is not solely online. The files are on your computer and online and any changes to the online or computer copy will result in changes to all copies.

OneEl14

Postby OneEl14 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:46 pm

random5483 wrote:
OneEl14 wrote:
random5483 wrote:
OneEl14 wrote:
How do you do this?

1. Create a dropbox account at http://www.dropbox.com.
3. Move your OneNote folders or create the new OneNote notebook in the Dropbox folder (saved on hardrive and auto syncs online).

After that you are all set. Any changes will sync to your dropbox and to any computer accounts with dropbox installed (given that they are all online). Offline computers will sync when they get online.

Appreciate it, thanks. If I simply copy an existing OneNote notebook into the dropbox folder, it won't automatically update? I need to actually move the notebook into the dropbox folder?

You can copy your existing notebook to the dropbox folder and it will work fine. However, you will also have to open the new notebook in your dropbox folder from OneNote to use it (ie. the old folder will not sync). Dropbox only syncs your dropbox folder. You can get around this with some other third party add-ons, but I found it easiest to move all my OneNote folders to a new folder in Dropbox. This way I don't have two copies of my Notebook, one which syncs and one which does not.

To clarify, Dropbox saves every file on your computer harddrive. It also saves a copy online. Any changes you make to the files on your harddrive (in the dropbox folder) will automatically sync with the online copy of the folder and then sync to all your computers. Unlike other online backup solutions, dropbox is not solely online. The files are on your computer and online and any changes to the online or computer copy will result in changes to all copies.

Thanks for the explanation. I just went ahead and moved my OneNote folders into my dropbox folder. Last question: any idea how to set up custom keyboard shortcuts in OneNote? Specifically things such as Alt + P as a shortcut for Pi.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:14 am

OneEl14 wrote:
random5483 wrote:
OneEl14 wrote:
random5483 wrote:1. Create a dropbox account at http://www.dropbox.com.

Thanks for the explanation. I just went ahead and moved my OneNote folders into my dropbox folder. Last question: any idea how to set up custom keyboard shortcuts in OneNote? Specifically things such as Alt + P as a shortcut for Pi.

What I've done is set the autocorrect to certain symbols, for example I set it so when I type (s) it gets autocorrected to §.

OneEl14

Postby OneEl14 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:18 am

SilverE2 wrote:
OneEl14 wrote:
random5483 wrote:
OneEl14 wrote:

What I've done is set the autocorrect to certain symbols, for example I set it so when I type (s) it gets autocorrected to §.

That's perfect! How can I do that?

OneEl14

Postby OneEl14 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:06 pm

OneEl14 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
OneEl14 wrote:
random5483 wrote:

That's perfect! How can I do that?

So i'm having a problem with this, when I type a word like plaintiff's, the possessive s gets autocorrected into the section symbol. Any idea how to fix that?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:12 pm

Tools --> Autocorrect options --> scroll down until you see what is giving you problems.

Also, you can add stuff. I like to use "ss" for the section symbol.

rafelmarken

Postby rafelmarken » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:30 am

SPAM

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 am

Dropbox is great, but I prefer Google Drive. I like the website / android app interface better, you can use your gmail/other google accounts for it, and it offers 5gb of free storage as opposed to Dropbox's 2gb. Just my 2 cents.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 am

Whatever you decide on, get it set up right away. My new laptop had a catastrophic hard drive failure the 3rd Monday of class. I already had Dropbox up and running, so I was able to go home between classes and grab my backup laptop and be working by the next class. (There was some drama with the network adapter, but that wasn't Dropbox's fault.)

When setting up your autocorrect symbols, pick combinations that won't ever be used in regular text. Like !s, not s!. Obviously an apostrophe is probably not a good choice.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”