It's only the second week of Crim Law, but... Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Adjudicator

Silver

It's only the second week of Crim Law, but...

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:51 pm

...I can already tell who the future prosecutors, DAs, and gubernatorial candidates are in my class. The clean-cut, humorless young men who vocally and unapologetically advocate harsh retributive justice in every case.

Teacher: "Now, what do you all think? Should they be punished? Why?"
G.I. Joe: "Yes, I think they should all be punished, because what they did was wrong."

Just an observation. I find it amusing.

Disclaimer: If this post offends you, you may be one of them!

kalvano

Diamond

Re: It's only the second week of Crim Law, but...

Post by kalvano » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:53 pm

That will change about 30 seconds after they are actually exposed to the criminal justice system.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:55 pm

Adjudicator wrote:...I can already tell who the future prosecutors, DAs, and gubernatorial candidates are in my class. The clean-cut, humorless young men who vocally and unapologetically advocate harsh retributive justice in every case.

G.I. Joe: "Yes, I think they should all be punished, because what they did was wrong."

What do you think the future holds for a crunchy granola enlightened guy like yourself?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:01 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:...I can already tell who the future prosecutors, DAs, and gubernatorial candidates are in my class. The clean-cut, humorless young men who vocally and unapologetically advocate harsh retributive justice in every case.

What do you think the future holds for a crunchy granola enlightened guy like yourself?
Looks like I found one of them right here. :P

Lighten up.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Lighten up.
Yes. H20man is the very picture of the humorless right-leaning ideologue.

We had someone like this in my crim class, too, she wanted to put damn near everyone on death row. Always got a laugh out of it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:

Lighten up.
*cough* projection *cough*

pinkcamellia

Silver

Post by pinkcamellia » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:13 pm

My personal favorite so far was the guy who believed that because everyone enters a social contract, everyone starts off at the same point in life and gets the same benefits as everyone else.

Guy: Well, they (poor people) get the same protection as everyone else. They shouldn't be out committing crimes. It's their own fault they aren't receiving their benefits.
Prof: So, you think if you're an underprivileged individual, and you call the police in a poor neighborhood in the middle of the night, they're going to come right away?
Guy: Of course, they're the police.
Prof: *laughs and shakes head*
Guy sitting next to me: Hasn't he ever seen The Wire?

Moomoo2u

Bronze

Post by Moomoo2u » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:50 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:My personal favorite so far was the guy who believed that because everyone enters a social contract, everyone starts off at the same point in life and gets the same benefits as everyone else.

Guy: Well, they (poor people) get the same protection as everyone else. They shouldn't be out committing crimes. It's their own fault they aren't receiving their benefits.
Prof: So, you think if you're an underprivileged individual, and you call the police in a poor neighborhood in the middle of the night, they're going to come right away?
was his name Hobbes?

D'Angelo

Bronze

Post by D'Angelo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:05 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:My personal favorite so far was the guy who believed that because everyone enters a social contract, everyone starts off at the same point in life and gets the same benefits as everyone else.

lol! i suppose people who go to law school are usually not people like wallace though...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:34 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:What do you think the future holds for a crunchy granola enlightened guy like yourself?
And not that I think it's relevant, but since you asked... I plan to use my law degree to put an end to poverty, war, and hunger, heal Mother Earth, and save a penguin.

This penguin.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:51 pm

I love "the law is the law" types. I mean, I have respect for the rule of law and all, but I am absolutely amazed at the number of people who not only have draconian beliefs, but are almost entirely ignorant of the realities of the prison system. See: discussion on three strikes laws. Unsustainable to say the least.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:52 pm

So you don't think retribution is a valid theory of punishment. Got it.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:55 pm

This thread makes me want to be a hardline law-and-order type just out of spite.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:57 pm

Prosecutors tend to view things in black & white terms; unfortunately, even that simplistic view of the world gets misapplied.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Naked Dude wrote: I love "the law is the law" types. I mean, I have respect for the rule of law and all, but I am absolutely amazed at the number of people who not only have draconian beliefs, but are almost entirely ignorant of the realities of the prison system. See: discussion on three strikes laws. Unsustainable to say the least.
lol wut does this even mean

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:00 pm

Grizz wrote:
Naked Dude wrote: I love "the law is the law" types. I mean, I have respect for the rule of law and all, but I am absolutely amazed at the number of people who not only have draconian beliefs, but are almost entirely ignorant of the realities of the prison system. See: discussion on three strikes laws. Unsustainable to say the least.
Pretty much just agreeing with OP and commenting on my impression of the blanket pro-three strikes types in my class. Three strikes laws are unsustainable, as long as we're talking about all felonies, including nonviolent ones. I can even agree with three strikes in theory while recognizing that it's a waste of resources to take a three-time grand larceny offender.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Pretty much just agreeing with OP and commenting on my impression of the blanket pro-three strikes types in my class.
How do you know that people who are draconian are ignorant of the realities of the prison system.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:03 pm

Grizz wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Pretty much just agreeing with OP and commenting on my impression of the blanket pro-three strikes types in my class.
How do you know that people who are draconian are ignorant of the realities of the prison system.
I consider it giving them the benefit of the doubt.

ETA: Look at California being ordered to reduce its prison population. How can one possibly reconcile that reality with a firm belief in three strikes laws for even nonviolent felons? I'm not even trying to make a comment on drug laws, just in general.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
Grizz wrote: How do you know that people who are draconian are ignorant of the realities of the prison system.
I recommend thinking long and hard about who is the insufferable one in your class.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Grizz wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
Grizz wrote: How do you know that people who are draconian are ignorant of the realities of the prison system.
I recommend thinking long and hard about who is the insufferable one in your class.
I haven't uttered a peep in Crim thus far.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Grizz wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
I wasn't really trying to attack the character of anyone with such beliefs, just wondering how people could justify their beliefs in the context of a conversation about California.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:06 pm

I almost forgot. When my class was discussing the infamous People vs. Superior Court (Du), one guy raised his hand and went on a rant about how the trial court Judge's opinion made him physically sick to his stomach and how it was a sham and how it suggests that a young black girl's life has no meaning, etc.

He must have been the son of the DA in that case, or something.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:38 pm

Adjudicator wrote:I almost forgot. When my class was discussing the infamous People vs. Superior Court (Du), one guy raised his hand and went on a rant about how the trial court Judge's opinion made him physically sick to his stomach and how it was a sham and how it suggests that a young black girl's life has no meaning, etc.

He must have been the son of the DA in that case, or something.
I think you're looking for this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=11

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Thank you. I know you meant well, but nobody reads those things. I'm a special snowflake with interesting things to say, so I thought I should post here so everyone will have a chance to read it.

studentofthelaw

New

Post by studentofthelaw » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Ohhhh yes! I love people like the guy in your class who think like this. Not really but they give me great belly laughs. My abs are insane btw. Jk.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”