Stopped Reading the Casebook

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Stopped Reading the Casebook

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
rawrab wrote:I have pretty much given up on reading my casebooks in favor of casenote legal brief books (which I think are amazing) and online briefs. It doesn't seem like I'm missing anything and I completely understand everything the profs talk about in class. Is this a horrible idea? Will this come back to bite me in the ass on the final?

I dunno man, lets get some people on an internet message board to speculate.

Yeah, because asking an internet message board filled with hundreds of current law students (many of whom are at top schools or have great grades or both) a question about law school is a terrible idea.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 pm

You can probably skate by with this on the basic cases, but eventually you're going to get to cases where they look essentially the same but have minute differences in the facts or application of the law, which leads to a different result. Being able to use that type of reason is how you kill exams.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:Yeah, because asking an internet message board filled with hundreds of people claiming to be current law students (many some of whom are might be at top schools or have great grades or both) a question about law school is a terrible idea.
Last edited by Naked Dude on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Read the casebook quickly (highlight the BLL or crucial rule) so you know what is going on, then look at the case brief if that helps you. But be warned... sometimes those canned briefs do not focus on the rule or analysis that your prof is looking for. I got away with not reading a decent number of cases last year (especially in Ks for some reason), but in general, you really should be using the casebook.

Also, I find case briefing to be an utter waste of time and so do most of the people I know at the top of my class, but YMMV. Some people swear by it, but if you don't get anything from it, don't worry about it.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:Read the casebook quickly (highlight the BLL or crucial rule) so you know what is going on, then look at the case brief if that helps you. But be warned... sometimes those canned briefs do not focus on the rule or analysis that your prof is looking for. I got away with not reading a decent number of cases last year (especially in Ks for some reason), but in general, you really should be using the casebook.

Also, I find case briefing to be an utter waste of time and so do most of the people I know at the top of my class, but YMMV. Some people swear by it, but if you don't get anything from it, don't worry about it.

I've heard the same about Ks from a lot of people at different schools.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Read the casebook quickly (highlight the BLL or crucial rule) so you know what is going on, then look at the case brief if that helps you. But be warned... sometimes those canned briefs do not focus on the rule or analysis that your prof is looking for. I got away with not reading a decent number of cases last year (especially in Ks for some reason), but in general, you really should be using the casebook.

Property, crim, and con law are probably the most prof-dependent, so the canned briefs probably don't help much. You could read the exact same cases as another student in a different section, and their prof may treat it completely differently or emphasize some aspects over others. Torts is a beast all on its own, and I think reading the cases in there is actually fun. The cases for Ks and Civ Pro are usually pretty dry and sometimes complicated, so the canned briefs may offer a short, straightforward explanation that you might not get after 1-2 readings through the case. So I suppose Ks and to some degree Civ Pro would lend themselves to the canned briefs better than other classes.

Still, you're investing lots of time and money, just read the damn cases. They're not that hard, and they can even be interesting at times.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:

Property, crim, and con law are probably the most prof-dependent, so the canned briefs probably don't help much. You could read the exact same cases as another student and the prof may treat it completely differently or emphasize some aspects over others. Torts is a beast all on its own, and I think reading the cases in there is actually fun. The cases for Ks and Civ Pro are usually pretty dry and sometimes complicated, so the canned briefs may offer a short, straightforward explanation that you might not get after 1-2 readings through the case. So I suppose Ks and to some degree Civ Pro would lend themselves to the canned briefs better than other classes.

Still, you're investing lots of time and money, just read the damn cases. They're not that hard, and they can even be interesting at times.

Completely agree. Torts is a lot of fun (although when the comparison is Civ Pro, Ks et al that's not really saying much), especially given my (tentative) interests. Not looking to shirk, just asking is all.

What do you mean Torts is a beast? It's hard or that it's just unique among the classes

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:50 pm

The best case I've ever read was a Crim case where a guy got shot with a sniper arrow and the judge quoted Shakespeare in the opinion.

The second best was where two guys tried to rob a McDonalds and were too stupid to do so, and then set the place on fire trying to steal a TV before the cops got there.

You won't get that reading the canned briefs.

Postby 23402385985 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:53 pm

Cupidity wrote:if you go to a TTT who cares, your fucked anyway.

If you write "your" like that on anything substantial, you're probably fucked. :P

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:
rawrab wrote:I have pretty much given up on reading my casebooks in favor of casenote legal brief books (which I think are amazing) and online briefs. It doesn't seem like I'm missing anything and I completely understand everything the profs talk about in class. Is this a horrible idea? Will this come back to bite me in the ass on the final?

Yeah, because asking an internet message board filled with hundreds of current law students (many of whom are at top schools or have great grades or both) a question about law school is a terrible idea.

Damn son, it was funny. Relax.

target

Postby target » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:14 pm

There is a difference between formal case briefing and reading cases. OP didn't say he doesn't want to do formal briefing. From what he said, he doesn't want to read cases altogether.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:30 pm

kalvano wrote:The best case I've ever read was a Crim case where a guy got shot with a sniper arrow and the judge quoted Shakespeare in the opinion.

The second best was where two guys tried to rob a McDonalds and were too stupid to do so, and then set the place on fire trying to steal a TV before the cops got there.

You won't get that reading the canned briefs.

I think my favorite would be the ghost case of property/contracts (Stambovsky).

king3780

Postby king3780 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:45 pm

I know thinking ahead to the future isn't big on TLS (get good grades, get an SA position, go big law, hurray), but at some point you may actually end up practicing law and reading cases can be pretty useful for that. You probably won't find canned briefs all that helpful when a partner or client comes in to your office with a problem that needs resolving.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:47 pm

king3780 wrote:I know thinking ahead to the future isn't big on TLS (get good grades, get an SA position, go big law, hurray), but at some point you may actually end up practicing law and reading cases can be pretty useful for that. You probably won't find canned briefs all that helpful when a partner or client comes in to your office with a problem that needs resolving.

Ha, like you'd ever have direct client interaction as an associate. Partner: "Hey asshole, figure out this civil procedure issue for me and try not to fuck it up"

I agree with your comment though.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:48 pm

beach_terror wrote:
king3780 wrote:I know thinking ahead to the future isn't big on TLS (get good grades, get an SA position, go big law, hurray), but at some point you may actually end up practicing law and reading cases can be pretty useful for that. You probably won't find canned briefs all that helpful when a partner or client comes in to your office with a problem that needs resolving.

Ha, like you'd ever have direct client interaction as an associate. Partner: "Hey asshole, figure out this civil procedure issue for me and try not to fuck it up"

I agree with your comment though.

The OP is going to work at his family's firm, so I assumed not BigLaw. He might get to interact with clients before year 8 in practice.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:48 pm

Naked Dude wrote:What do you mean Torts is a beast? It's hard or that it's just unique among the classes

Unique. Not hard at all, but it is the most "forkish" / GTM-style type of class.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:What do you mean Torts is a beast? It's hard or that it's just unique among the classes

Unique. Not hard at all, but it is the most "forkish" / GTM-style type of class.

Yeah. Also torts is easy to understand, so exams tend to be racehorse issue spotters with forks everywhere where (not always), writing a TON of words wins.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:03 am

romothesavior wrote:

That's the impression I've been getting. I've been trying to build forks into my notes by paying special attention to the dissents and reinterpretations of rules...although I guess I should do that anyway.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:04 am

Grizz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yeah. Also torts is easy to understand, so exams tend to be racehorse issue spotters with forks everywhere where (not always), writing a TON of words wins.

So essentially just a brute-force attack?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:05 am

Naked Dude wrote:
Grizz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

So essentially just a brute-force attack?

Typically they're closed book issue spotters, so yeah. Too many issues to actually address in the exam, so the more you can do helps tremendously.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:09 am

Transferthrowaway wrote:

lol +180

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:34 am

I stopped reading my Crim Book after week 1 cause my prof was a complete joke and got an A by reading 3 supplements. I wouldn't recommend this unless you really know what you're doing though.

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:22 am

beach_terror wrote:Typically they're closed book issue spotters, so yeah. Too many issues to actually address in the exam, so the more you can do helps tremendously.

Luckily my torts exam is multiple choice.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:35 am

joncrooshal wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Typically they're closed book issue spotters, so yeah. Too many issues to actually address in the exam, so the more you can do helps tremendously.

You mean unluckily, right? Have fun with that, MC exams are shitty as hell.

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:39 am

beach_terror wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:

You mean unluckily, right? Have fun with that, MC exams are shitty as hell.

Was being sarcastic, for sure.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”