First Week of Law School

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Re: First Week of Law School

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:07 pm

target wrote:my reading assignments are not light, but the professor goes over cases so slowly, prob. to ease us in like you said. So, the whole class ends up being well ahead of what is currently discussed.

That'll be great until your professor realizes how far behind he/she is, and covers 300 pages in one week to make up for it.

target

Postby target » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:20 pm

kalvano wrote:
target wrote:my reading assignments are not light, but the professor goes over cases so slowly, prob. to ease us in like you said. So, the whole class ends up being well ahead of what is currently discussed.

That'll be great until your professor realizes how far behind he/she is, and covers 300 pages in one week to make up for it.

way to ruin my excuse for taking the weekend off man. Although some 2Ls at my school already alert us how excruciatingly slow the prof. can be, so we prob just do some advance reading next weekend.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:24 pm

I've looked at the syllabi, and the assignments don't seem to be too outrageously long. Some weeks will be more intense and some weeks will be a joke. The stories of hell and brimstone that we hear are probably from 2L/3Ls who either procrastinated like a motherfucker, or only have a selective memory for those weeks that are torture (i.e. memo due, midterms, finals).

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:29 pm

I feel like a slacker. I've been doing around 3 hours of reading a day...Everyone else seems to be doing 5-6.

And I have more free time than I would have expected.

I'm going to say this is due to a lot of introductory material we are covering in class. Maybe once we jump past the introduction chapter in our textbooks, the reading will become more dense and time consuming...

Either that or I'm approaching this law school thing entirely wrong.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:31 pm

johansantana21 wrote:I feel like a slacker. I've been doing around 3 hours of reading a day...Everyone else seems to be doing 5-6.

And I have more free time than I would have expected.

I'm going to say this is due to a lot of introductory material we are covering in class. Maybe once we jump past the introduction chapter in our textbooks, the reading will become more dense and time consuming...

Either that or I'm approaching this law school thing entirely wrong.

Dude if you're getting your work done (like really getting it done, actually reading and understanding and maybe taking good notes), what's there to worry about? Other people might just be slow readers, obsessive briefers, or be reading 18 different supplements.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:52 pm

what exactly are the supplements for? is there any purpose in buying them, if they're not required?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:58 pm

D'Angelo wrote:what exactly are the supplements for? is there any purpose in buying them, if they're not required?

They are meant to "supplement" the casebook. Casebooks provide you the material to brief, but are rarely if ever explicit about the BLL and do not provide insightful explanations. Considering that your are almost always tested on the latter rather than the former, supplements are often more important than the actual casebook.

TL; DR:
Casebook--Prepare you for class if you are self-conscious about sounding herp derp in front of your section
Supplements--Better preparation for the final

Postby 071816 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:59 pm

D'Angelo wrote:what exactly are the supplements for? is there any purpose in buying them, if they're not required?

I found this thread pretty helpful. I don't know if you've seen it already.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:00 pm

This thread is funny. It's the first week, it isn't supposed to be hard. Wait till writing assignment deadlines are nearing, reading assignments are increasing, outlining time has started and you're attempting to read supplements everyday.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:01 pm

chimp wrote:

I found this thread pretty helpful. I don't know if you've seen it already.

thanks!

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Naked Dude wrote:So whose writing do you like the best (in terms of Supreme Court justices's clerks, currently sitting or retired, etc)? Scalia is no doubt hires people who are one hell of a great writers, but in terms of clarity I'm going to have to go with Breyer's clerks.

FTFY.

(I know that SCOTUS clerks don't actually write entire opinions, but just trying to give some credit where it's due.)

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Heartford wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:So whose writing do you like the best (in terms of Supreme Court justices's clerks, currently sitting or retired, etc)? Scalia is no doubt hires people who are one hell of a great writers, but in terms of clarity I'm going to have to go with Breyer's clerks.

FTFY.

(I know that SCOTUS clerks don't actually write entire opinions, but just trying to give some credit where it's due.)

Yeah that's what I've heard. Regardless, them opinions be easy to read.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:38 am

By far the funniest thing about law school so far:

People who post every time they sit down to read a casebook on face book. It is soo amusing.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:07 am

jarofsoup wrote:By far the funniest thing about law school so far:

People who post every time they sit down to read a casebook on face book. It is soo amusing.

or people who post photos of their desk/stack of books/briefs. or wooooooooo omg spent 5 hours reading today law school is so hard

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:07 pm

Anyone encountering some cases that you just do not understand. like early primitive cases that rely 100% on common law and are written in colonial English suck.

target

Postby target » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:13 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Anyone encountering some cases that you just do not understand. like early primitive cases that rely 100% on common law and are written in colonial English suck.

I hate their use of commas :wink:

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:08 pm

On the topic of awesome opinions. I have to say Justice Easterbrook of the Seventh Circuit is pretty amazing. However, my teachers seem to be totally in love with Posner.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:19 pm

jarofsoup wrote:On the topic of awesome opinions. I have to say Justice Easterbrook of the Seventh Circuit is pretty amazing. However, my teachers seem to be totally in love with Posner.

My professors seem unimpressed by every opinion we read. They make references to mistakes the court made and how and why each position taken is motivated by some outside factor. Then it seems like they give an opinion of how they would have written it differently.

I am taking two classes that are taught by the authors of the casebooks we are using so I guess that may have something to do with it. It confuses the shit out of me because I am unsure of which cases they truly agree with(and will test us on) and which cases are a misapplication of the law.
Last edited by shoeshine on Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:21 pm

jarofsoup wrote:On the topic of awesome opinions. I have to say Justice Easterbrook of the Seventh Circuit is pretty amazing. However, my teachers seem to be totally in love with Posner.

Ithaca??

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Heartford wrote:

FTFY.

LOL at this. Good stuff. And yeah, whoever is writing Scalia's opinions is generally fantastic!

fish52

Postby fish52 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:05 pm

johansantana21 wrote:I feel like a slacker. I've been doing around 3 hours of reading a day...Everyone else seems to be doing 5-6.

Same here. Are people reading cases multiple times? Quadruple briefing a case? I just don't get how people are shutting down the law library at this point... it doesn't take 3-5 hours to read 30 pages and brief 3 cases (what seems to be the usual load for one class)....does it?

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I just feel like I'm missing something.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:22 pm

fish52 wrote:

Same here. Are people reading cases multiple times? Quadruple briefing a case? I just don't get how people are shutting down the law library at this point... it doesn't take 3-5 hours to read 30 pages and brief 3 cases (what seems to be the usual load for one class)....does it?

Depends on the course and professor. It might not take 3 hours to read 30 pages when the textbook is "Torts for Dummies" and the professor lectures the whole class. I spent three hours tonight reading about the difference between adjudicative and legislative functions of administrative agencies, and I'm still deathly afraid that someone will answer something I didn't know. Or worse, I'll get called on for something and not know it.
I have the opposite problem from everyone else on the thread. I don't know how I am going to get close to finishing the reading when there isn't any Labor Day.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:44 pm

delusional wrote:
fish52 wrote:

Depends on the course and professor. It might not take 3 hours to read 30 pages when the textbook is "Torts for Dummies" and the professor lectures the whole class. I spent three hours tonight reading about the difference between adjudicative and legislative functions of administrative agencies, and I'm still deathly afraid that someone will answer something I didn't know. Or worse, I'll get called on for something and not know it.
I have the opposite problem from everyone else on the thread. I don't know how I am going to get close to finishing the reading when there isn't any Labor Day.

Relax dude. There's always going to be someone smarter than you.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:45 pm

you are a student. you are not supposed to know everything ( at least until the class meetings end) rtelax and take a shot

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:46 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
delusional wrote:
fish52 wrote:

Relax dude. There's always going to be someone smarter than you.

<gets defensive>

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”