How much debt are you expecting to graduate with?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Naked Dude

Re: How much debt are you expecting to graduate with?

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 pm

High five figures, less if I can get a fellowship/outside scholarship/good summer job.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:54 pm

spleenworship wrote:Everyone posting $0 in here should be ashamed of themselves, and possibly shot.

You mean because they did the financially responsible thing to do in not taking on a shitload of non-dischargeable debt by refusing to rank-whore themselves out to USNWR?

Chick next to me in Torts has $200,000 from undergrad, and will add $175,000 after lawl school. People are friggin nuts.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:56 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Everyone posting $0 in here should be ashamed of themselves, and possibly shot.

You mean because they did the financially responsible thing to do in not taking on a shitload of non-dischargeable debt by refusing to rank-whore themselves out to USNWR?

Chick next to me in Torts has $200,000 from undergrad, and will add $175,000 after lawl school. People are friggin nuts.

this is insane! at least some of us have LRAP...maybe...

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:08 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Who tells people these things?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:12 pm

dailygrind wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Who tells people these things?

People jonesing for sympathy and someone to tell them "wow that sucks it will be okay though."

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:24 pm

About 90k if tuition doesn't continue to climb. Feel comfortable with it, although making law review and a subsequent summer gig after 2L would make a major dent that would greatly improve my outlook.

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

The only people I know who are graduating debt free from law school are people who's parents are paying for law school. Well, law school, undergraduate, their rent, car, credit card...

I don't want to suggest that everyone who is graduating with little or no debt has that luxury, but I don't think everyone who graduates debt free is the most financially responsible.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:About 90k if tuition doesn't continue to climb. Feel comfortable with it, although making law review and a subsequent summer gig after 2L would make a major dent that would greatly improve my outlook.

Those I knew at Florida who had the biggest problems were all aiming solely for Miami. There are jobs there but it's rough from what I've heard. How's Gainesville these days? Haven't been there in forever (gator growl a couple years back)

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:28 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

The only people I know who are graduating debt free from law school are people who's parents are paying for law school. Well, law school, undergraduate, their rent, car, credit card...

I don't want to suggest that everyone who is graduating with little or no debt has that luxury, but I don't think everyone who graduates debt free is the most financially responsible.

It's not a categorical rule, but debt also usually lights a fire under your ass, in terms of motivation.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:36 pm

Not sure I get this. I didn't make a thread to brag about it - just answered the question. Don't be hatin'

meatball122

Postby meatball122 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:51 pm

Legal Baller wrote:About 90K here. I have a class mate who was in the navy for awhile and is actually being paid to go to law school... lucky fucker.

I will have spent 5 years in the Marine Corps. I often think about how lucky I will be to have LS entirely payed for PLUS a housing/living stipend (a generous one, at that). But then I think... oh yeah, it wasnt free. I was paying for in Iraq (once) and Afghanistan (twice), when I had to stand in a square without moving an inch for 3 hours, when I was awake at 330am and home at 5pm, etc... :lol: So dont be too jealous! We are paying our debt in abnormally rapid aging, deteriorating knees, and a mild case of mental retardation.

Just messing around. But, seriously! :lol:

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:52 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:About 90k if tuition doesn't continue to climb. Feel comfortable with it, although making law review and a subsequent summer gig after 2L would make a major dent that would greatly improve my outlook.

Those I knew at Florida who had the biggest problems were all aiming solely for Miami. There are jobs there but it's rough from what I've heard. How's Gainesville these days? Haven't been there in forever (gator growl a couple years back)

A bit too many UG:normal people ratio, but other than that I like it. Saturday's the first football game which is sure to be a shitshow.

From what I've gathered most people in the top third are making out ok, which sounds about right. Roommate is top 8% & LR and has gotten multiple callbacks from the biggest firms in FL. Not all roses, but not the end of the world, either.

I myself am aiming for Miami, as I have a number of connections through my folks and having grown up there. I'm open to just about anywhere in Orlando and south of that, though.

And 90k sucks. Not earth-shattering, and I have a decent amount of savings that could help me weather a bad situation, but it's a bummer there is such a barrier to doing something I genuinely think I'll enjoy.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:56 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:

A bit too many UG:normal people ratio, but other than that I like it. Saturday's the first football game which is sure to be a shitshow.

From what I've gathered most people in the top third are making out ok, which sounds about right. Roommate is top 8% & LR and has gotten multiple callbacks from the biggest firms in FL. Not all roses, but not the end of the world, either.

I myself am aiming for Miami, as I have a number of connections through my folks and having grown up there. I'm open to just about anywhere in Orlando and south of that, though.

And 90k sucks. Not earth-shattering, and I have a decent amount of savings that could help me weather a bad situation, but it's a bummer there is such a barrier to doing something I genuinely think I'll enjoy.

Good luck-hopefully we all come out with good prospects

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:59 pm

OVER 9000!!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:11 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Aren't you one of those kids not taking on any debt because they are charging the full bill to their daddy's credit card?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:13 pm

bk1 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Aren't you one of those kids not taking on any debt because they are charging the full bill to their daddy's credit card?

Didn't have to. Retook the LSAT and got a full scholarship.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:15 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
bk1 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

To where?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:20 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:To where?

T30

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:22 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:To where?

T30

Neat.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:24 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
bk1 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Well I must admit that you have a genuine leg up on most people then.

To be fair I am jelly of everyone I've met at orientation who has said their parents are paying (it was more than I expected).

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:29 pm

bk1 wrote:To be fair I am jelly of everyone I've met at orientation who has said their parents are paying (it was more than I expected).

Really? I thought the majority of NU students were a few years out of undergrad. Unless that's not the school...

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:30 pm

I went from potentially graduating top-5 students at a T35 with 20k in debt to graduating from a T6 with 120k in debt. Womp womp.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 pm

bk1 wrote:To be fair I am jelly of everyone I've met at orientation who has said their parents are paying (it was more than I expected).

I am fortunate enough to have had my parents foot the bill for my undergrad. I didn't want to ask them to pay again.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:26 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

To be fair, I was trying to joke a little.

Seriously though, because the majority of posters on this board will graduate with some debt, if not a lot of debt, from law school and all these happy ZERO posts kind of rub it in that they are taking a big risk. Even a lot of people who are smart and minimized debt they are still likely to take out at least 30-60K in living expenses. It is like going up to somebody with no legs and tap dancing in front of them. Just a little crude. I don't actually think they should be shot, but a little shame might be nice.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”