tls truths and some questions about 1l

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby bartleby » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:46 pm

just finished first week of law school

truth: 0L prep w/ e&e's (so far) seems useless or at marginally helpful at best; gtm is also a little unclear - definitely makes everything seem so simple, will revisit this weekend

truth: even TTT law schools have people who are working really, really hard. i think i underestimated how smart or how hard working i am. please tell me the 10 or so classmates (in my section) i see at 6 am and 6 pm in the library will stop doing that soon, and it is just first week excitement.

a few questions:

i have a prof who has stated in 2 of first 3 classes "example questions on previous exams." i have written them down word for word obviously and will do the reading and review other his older exams but besides scrambling to write down everything he says before and after that, is there anything else i should do?

i have another prof - torts - that teaches like a UG poli sci professor and has spent a ton of time answering really dumb hypothetical questions asked by other students. the book assigned has terrible ratings on amazon. is this a clear cut case where i should be reading e&e and then reading briefs before looking into the case book for specifics?

however, i have also read and heard that the first week is more of an intimidation / tone setting week and not to look too closely into things.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby beach_terror » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:53 pm

--ImageRemoved--

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby bartleby » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:01 pm

haha i am chill but i have no internet, tv, bed, sofa, or video games.

also i just gotta go through this "boot camp" phase for a week or two because i am one of the laziest people ever.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby beach_terror » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:05 pm

1) Relax
2) Do the readings, and go to class
3) Listen to your professor, are you getting the stuff out of the reading that he/she is harping on during class? If yes, then good. If no, then a) read gooder and b) use the E&E to help guide you
4) Keep an open mind, listen to what your professors say even if you think they're batshit insane - they're the ones who will be grading your exams
5) Relax
6) Get drunk

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby gwuorbust » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:45 pm

ok, you still know nothing. chill, buy some shit so you can live like a normal human being and get drunk and/or laid.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby typ3 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:1) Relax
2) Do the readings, and go to class
3) Listen to your professor, are you getting the stuff out of the reading that he/she is harping on during class? If yes, then good. If no, then a) read gooder and b) use the E&E to help guide you
4) Keep an open mind, listen to what your professors say even if you think they're batshit insane - they're the ones who will be grading your exams
5) Relax
6) Get drunk


TITCR.

Truth About Law School: There is a very vibrant drinking culture. Student mixers, bar nights, house parties with 2L/3Ls etc. Fewer drinking nights a week often means that students go at it harder during these nights.

Tip: Don't be a jackass gunner who refuses to go out with your classmates. Everyone that goes out becomes great friends. Go out the beginning few weeks before the work load really picks up. Not to mention the friends people make the first year tend to remain their friends throughout all three years. If you need to spend 14 hours a day in the library during the first week's material, law school might not have been a solid choice. Those who have declined every offer to go out have few friends and are frankly disliked by their peers and are labeled as standoffish, cut throat, gunners. Plus, if you're struggling during socratic having friends that can help you out is a definite plus-- not to mention these friends can help you come exam time if you need notes / briefs etc. You'll manage the stress better if you can unwind a bit.

Truth About Law School: The rumors about drama and hookups are true.

Tip: If you're going to sleep with a classmate don't be alarmed if people find out the next day and are talking about it. Hookups in my class began before class even started and word spreads quick. It is a small environment and law students are notoriously snarky. Further, people are always dissing other students behind their backs. Be careful what you say about other students because chances are your words will get repeated by someone.

Truth About Law School: You will have plenty of free time in law school.


Tip: Sure the workload is more than undergrad, but it is certainly manageable if you read actively and focus solely on your work instead of facebook / tls / tv / music / what your classmates are doing etc. Sit down and grind your work out then take the rest of your day / evening off if you can. Work smart, efficiently, and ahead. However, when November rolls around you won't have this free time, but for 75% of the law school semester you'll have time to do what you want.

Truth About Law School: You will be able to pick up more chicks because you're a law student.

Tip: Being a professional student will help you a lot in the ladies department at the local bars / clubs / mixers etc. Some of my classmates have made it a game of cockblocking frathards by dropping the law student card on ladies. These women are likely shallow and only interested in you because they think you'll be a gravy train, but take advantage of it while you can and knock boots with some 10's imo. Because when you drive a corolla, live in an apartment, and do doc review for $20 an hour you're not going to be bagging very many chicas.

Ladies on the other hand will hinder their attractiveness by going to law school (as sexist as this sounds all of my female classmates complain about it and how guys shy away from them at bars when they find out they're law students :/ ). Female law students are perceived as "bitchy" by onlookers, although this is hardly a proper generalization-- some of the nicest down to earth girls I've met are in law school. As many of us know, our backwards society has made it that a successful professional woman is less desirable than a knock out sorostitute with a blood alcohol level higher than her GPA with a major in communications sciences.

Truth About Law School: The average nightly reading is likely less than your senior/junior year of undergrad.


Tip: You will read a lot less for law school but will be required to know very minute details of the readings. My solution is to read each case twice. Once to get a gist of it and a second time to highlight / notate. Finally, supplement this by reading a few quick briefs online. These briefs will likely have issues that you missed or a fact or better phrasing of a rule / opinion.
Last edited by typ3 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Moomoo2u
Posts: 349
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby Moomoo2u » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:38 pm

typ3 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:1) Relax
2) Do the readings, and go to class
3) Listen to your professor, are you getting the stuff out of the reading that he/she is harping on during class? If yes, then good. If no, then a) read gooder and b) use the E&E to help guide you
4) Keep an open mind, listen to what your professors say even if you think they're batshit insane - they're the ones who will be grading your exams
5) Relax
6) Get drunk


TITCR.

Truth About Law School: There is a very vibrant drinking culture. Student mixers, bar nights, house parties with 2L/3Ls etc. Fewer drinking nights a week often means that students go at it harder during these nights.

Tip: Don't be a jackass gunner who refuses to go out with your classmates. Everyone that goes out becomes great friends. Go out the beginning few weeks before the work load really picks up. Not to mention the friends people make the first year tend to remain their friends throughout all three years. If you need to spend 14 hours a day in the library during the first week's material, law school might not have been a solid choice. Those who have declined every offer to go out have few friends and are frankly disliked by their peers and are labeled as standoffish, cut throat, gunners. Plus, if you're struggling during socratic having friends that can help you out is a definite plus-- not to mention these friends can help you come exam time if you need notes / briefs etc. You'll manage the stress better if you can unwind a bit.

Truth About Law School: The rumors about drama and hookups are true.

Tip: If you're going to sleep with a classmate don't be alarmed if people find out the next day and are talking about it. Hookups in my class began before class even started and word spreads quick. It is a small environment and law students are notoriously snarky. Further, people are always dissing other students behind their backs. Be careful what you say about other students because chances are your words will get repeated by someone.

Truth About Law School: You will have plenty of free time in law school.


Tip: Sure the workload is more than undergrad, but it is certainly manageable if you read actively and focus solely on your work instead of facebook / tls / tv / music / what your classmates are doing etc. Sit down and grind your work out then take the rest of your day / evening off if you can. Work smart, efficiently, and ahead. However, when November rolls around you won't have this free time, but for 75% of the law school semester you'll have time to do what you want.

Truth About Law School: You will be able to pick up more chicks because you're a law student.

Tip: Being a professional student will help you a lot in the ladies department at the local bars / clubs / mixers etc. Some of my classmates have made it a game of cockblocking frathards by dropping the law student card on ladies. These women are likely shallow and only interested in you because they think you'll be a gravy train, but take advantage of it while you can and knock boots with some 10's imo. Because when you drive a corolla, live in an apartment, and do doc review for $20 an hour you're not going to be bagging very many chicas.

Ladies on the other hand will hinder their attractiveness by going to law school (as sexist as this sounds all of my female classmates complain about it and how guys shy away from them at bars when they find out they're law students :/ ). Female law students are perceived as "bitchy" by onlookers, although this is hardly a proper generalization-- some of the nicest down to earth girls I've met are in law school. As many of us know, our backwards society has made it that a successful professional woman is less desirable than a knock out sorostitute with a blood alcohol level higher than her GPA with a major in communications sciences.


Can I party with you? Awesome.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby typ3 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Moomoo2u wrote:
typ3 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:1) Relax
2) Do the readings, and go to class
3) Listen to your professor, are you getting the stuff out of the reading that he/she is harping on during class? If yes, then good. If no, then a) read gooder and b) use the E&E to help guide you
4) Keep an open mind, listen to what your professors say even if you think they're batshit insane - they're the ones who will be grading your exams
5) Relax
6) Get drunk


TITCR.

Truth About Law School: There is a very vibrant drinking culture. Student mixers, bar nights, house parties with 2L/3Ls etc. Fewer drinking nights a week often means that students go at it harder during these nights.

Tip: Don't be a jackass gunner who refuses to go out with your classmates. Everyone that goes out becomes great friends. Go out the beginning few weeks before the work load really picks up. Not to mention the friends people make the first year tend to remain their friends throughout all three years. If you need to spend 14 hours a day in the library during the first week's material, law school might not have been a solid choice. Those who have declined every offer to go out have few friends and are frankly disliked by their peers and are labeled as standoffish, cut throat, gunners. Plus, if you're struggling during socratic having friends that can help you out is a definite plus-- not to mention these friends can help you come exam time if you need notes / briefs etc. You'll manage the stress better if you can unwind a bit.

Truth About Law School: The rumors about drama and hookups are true.

Tip: If you're going to sleep with a classmate don't be alarmed if people find out the next day and are talking about it. Hookups in my class began before class even started and word spreads quick. It is a small environment and law students are notoriously snarky. Further, people are always dissing other students behind their backs. Be careful what you say about other students because chances are your words will get repeated by someone.

Truth About Law School: You will have plenty of free time in law school.


Tip: Sure the workload is more than undergrad, but it is certainly manageable if you read actively and focus solely on your work instead of facebook / tls / tv / music / what your classmates are doing etc. Sit down and grind your work out then take the rest of your day / evening off if you can. Work smart, efficiently, and ahead. However, when November rolls around you won't have this free time, but for 75% of the law school semester you'll have time to do what you want.

Truth About Law School: You will be able to pick up more chicks because you're a law student.

Tip: Being a professional student will help you a lot in the ladies department at the local bars / clubs / mixers etc. Some of my classmates have made it a game of cockblocking frathards by dropping the law student card on ladies. These women are likely shallow and only interested in you because they think you'll be a gravy train, but take advantage of it while you can and knock boots with some 10's imo. Because when you drive a corolla, live in an apartment, and do doc review for $20 an hour you're not going to be bagging very many chicas.

Ladies on the other hand will hinder their attractiveness by going to law school (as sexist as this sounds all of my female classmates complain about it and how guys shy away from them at bars when they find out they're law students :/ ). Female law students are perceived as "bitchy" by onlookers, although this is hardly a proper generalization-- some of the nicest down to earth girls I've met are in law school. As many of us know, our backwards society has made it that a successful professional woman is less desirable than a knock out sorostitute with a blood alcohol level higher than her GPA with a major in communications sciences.


Can I party with you? Awesome.


Sure. We're like stat twins too.. haha you're my long lost brother right?

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby bouakedojo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:52 pm

typ3 wrote:TITCR.

Truth About Law School: There is a very vibrant drinking culture. Student mixers, bar nights, house parties with 2L/3Ls etc. Fewer drinking nights a week often means that students go at it harder during these nights.

Tip: Don't be a jackass gunner who refuses to go out with your classmates. Everyone that goes out becomes great friends. Go out the beginning few weeks before the work load really picks up. Not to mention the friends people make the first year tend to remain their friends throughout all three years. If you need to spend 14 hours a day in the library during the first week's material, law school might not have been a solid choice. Those who have declined every offer to go out have few friends and are frankly disliked by their peers and are labeled as standoffish, cut throat, gunners. Plus, if you're struggling during socratic having friends that can help you out is a definite plus-- not to mention these friends can help you come exam time if you need notes / briefs etc. You'll manage the stress better if you can unwind a bit.

Truth About Law School: The rumors about drama and hookups are true.

Tip: If you're going to sleep with a classmate don't be alarmed if people find out the next day and are talking about it. Hookups in my class began before class even started and word spreads quick. It is a small environment and law students are notoriously snarky. Further, people are always dissing other students behind their backs. Be careful what you say about other students because chances are your words will get repeated by someone.

Truth About Law School: You will have plenty of free time in law school.


Tip: Sure the workload is more than undergrad, but it is certainly manageable if you read actively and focus solely on your work instead of facebook / tls / tv / music / what your classmates are doing etc. Sit down and grind your work out then take the rest of your day / evening off if you can. Work smart, efficiently, and ahead. However, when November rolls around you won't have this free time, but for 75% of the law school semester you'll have time to do what you want.

Truth About Law School: You will be able to pick up more chicks because you're a law student.

Tip: Being a professional student will help you a lot in the ladies department at the local bars / clubs / mixers etc. Some of my classmates have made it a game of cockblocking frathards by dropping the law student card on ladies. These women are likely shallow and only interested in you because they think you'll be a gravy train, but take advantage of it while you can and knock boots with some 10's imo. Because when you drive a corolla, live in an apartment, and do doc review for $20 an hour you're not going to be bagging very many chicas.

Ladies on the other hand will hinder their attractiveness by going to law school (as sexist as this sounds all of my female classmates complain about it and how guys shy away from them at bars when they find out they're law students :/ ). Female law students are perceived as "bitchy" by onlookers, although this is hardly a proper generalization-- some of the nicest down to earth girls I've met are in law school. As many of us know, our backwards society has made it that a successful professional woman is less desirable than a knock out sorostitute with a blood alcohol level higher than her GPA with a major in communications sciences.

Truth About Law School: The average nightly reading is likely less than your senior/junior year of undergrad.


Tip: You will read a lot less for law school but will be required to know very minute details of the readings. My solution is to read each case twice. Once to get a gist of it and a second time to highlight / notate. Finally, supplement this by reading a few quick briefs online. These briefs will likely have issues that you missed or a fact or better phrasing of a rule / opinion.


Not to be an ass, but aren't you a 1L starting out just like us? Maybe I'm wrong, and if I am, I apologize.

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby BeenDidThat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:57 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
typ3 wrote:TITCR.

Truth About Law School: There is a very vibrant drinking culture. Student mixers, bar nights, house parties with 2L/3Ls etc. Fewer drinking nights a week often means that students go at it harder during these nights.

Tip: Don't be a jackass gunner who refuses to go out with your classmates. Everyone that goes out becomes great friends. Go out the beginning few weeks before the work load really picks up. Not to mention the friends people make the first year tend to remain their friends throughout all three years. If you need to spend 14 hours a day in the library during the first week's material, law school might not have been a solid choice. Those who have declined every offer to go out have few friends and are frankly disliked by their peers and are labeled as standoffish, cut throat, gunners. Plus, if you're struggling during socratic having friends that can help you out is a definite plus-- not to mention these friends can help you come exam time if you need notes / briefs etc. You'll manage the stress better if you can unwind a bit.

Truth About Law School: The rumors about drama and hookups are true.

Tip: If you're going to sleep with a classmate don't be alarmed if people find out the next day and are talking about it. Hookups in my class began before class even started and word spreads quick. It is a small environment and law students are notoriously snarky. Further, people are always dissing other students behind their backs. Be careful what you say about other students because chances are your words will get repeated by someone.

Truth About Law School: You will have plenty of free time in law school.


Tip: Sure the workload is more than undergrad, but it is certainly manageable if you read actively and focus solely on your work instead of facebook / tls / tv / music / what your classmates are doing etc. Sit down and grind your work out then take the rest of your day / evening off if you can. Work smart, efficiently, and ahead. However, when November rolls around you won't have this free time, but for 75% of the law school semester you'll have time to do what you want.

Truth About Law School: You will be able to pick up more chicks because you're a law student.

Tip: Being a professional student will help you a lot in the ladies department at the local bars / clubs / mixers etc. Some of my classmates have made it a game of cockblocking frathards by dropping the law student card on ladies. These women are likely shallow and only interested in you because they think you'll be a gravy train, but take advantage of it while you can and knock boots with some 10's imo. Because when you drive a corolla, live in an apartment, and do doc review for $20 an hour you're not going to be bagging very many chicas.

Ladies on the other hand will hinder their attractiveness by going to law school (as sexist as this sounds all of my female classmates complain about it and how guys shy away from them at bars when they find out they're law students :/ ). Female law students are perceived as "bitchy" by onlookers, although this is hardly a proper generalization-- some of the nicest down to earth girls I've met are in law school. As many of us know, our backwards society has made it that a successful professional woman is less desirable than a knock out sorostitute with a blood alcohol level higher than her GPA with a major in communications sciences.

Truth About Law School: The average nightly reading is likely less than your senior/junior year of undergrad.


Tip: You will read a lot less for law school but will be required to know very minute details of the readings. My solution is to read each case twice. Once to get a gist of it and a second time to highlight / notate. Finally, supplement this by reading a few quick briefs online. These briefs will likely have issues that you missed or a fact or better phrasing of a rule / opinion.


Not to be an ass, but aren't you a 1L starting out just like us? Maybe I'm wrong, and if I am, I apologize.


2L here. Dude's right.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby target » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Truth about law school: people make overgeneralized statements about how law school works

Tip: if you are still in law school, that means you haven't finished it, so shut up.

Truth about law school: people will label you and talk behind your back whether you hang out or friend with them


Tip: give a fuck of what other people think since you are the one who deals with your own debt and your own life.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 pm

This thread is cotton-candy worthy.

How about we make generalizations about people who don't go to law school now?!

Truth About No Law School: You can never be Judge Dredd
Tip: Ah.. fuck. I can't keep a straight face through this one. :lol:

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby Naked Dude » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:07 pm

typ3 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:1) Relax
2) Do the readings, and go to class
3) Listen to your professor, are you getting the stuff out of the reading that he/she is harping on during class? If yes, then good. If no, then a) read gooder and b) use the E&E to help guide you
4) Keep an open mind, listen to what your professors say even if you think they're batshit insane - they're the ones who will be grading your exams
5) Relax
6) Get drunk


TITCR.

Truth About Law School: There is a very vibrant drinking culture. Student mixers, bar nights, house parties with 2L/3Ls etc. Fewer drinking nights a week often means that students go at it harder during these nights.

Tip: Don't be a jackass gunner who refuses to go out with your classmates. Everyone that goes out becomes great friends. Go out the beginning few weeks before the work load really picks up. Not to mention the friends people make the first year tend to remain their friends throughout all three years. If you need to spend 14 hours a day in the library during the first week's material, law school might not have been a solid choice. Those who have declined every offer to go out have few friends and are frankly disliked by their peers and are labeled as standoffish, cut throat, gunners. Plus, if you're struggling during socratic having friends that can help you out is a definite plus-- not to mention these friends can help you come exam time if you need notes / briefs etc. You'll manage the stress better if you can unwind a bit.

Truth About Law School: The rumors about drama and hookups are true.

Tip: If you're going to sleep with a classmate don't be alarmed if people find out the next day and are talking about it. Hookups in my class began before class even started and word spreads quick. It is a small environment and law students are notoriously snarky. Further, people are always dissing other students behind their backs. Be careful what you say about other students because chances are your words will get repeated by someone.

Truth About Law School: You will have plenty of free time in law school.


Tip: Sure the workload is more than undergrad, but it is certainly manageable if you read actively and focus solely on your work instead of facebook / tls / tv / music / what your classmates are doing etc. Sit down and grind your work out then take the rest of your day / evening off if you can. Work smart, efficiently, and ahead. However, when November rolls around you won't have this free time, but for 75% of the law school semester you'll have time to do what you want.

Truth About Law School: You will be able to pick up more chicks because you're a law student.

Tip: Being a professional student will help you a lot in the ladies department at the local bars / clubs / mixers etc. Some of my classmates have made it a game of cockblocking frathards by dropping the law student card on ladies. These women are likely shallow and only interested in you because they think you'll be a gravy train, but take advantage of it while you can and knock boots with some 10's imo. Because when you drive a corolla, live in an apartment, and do doc review for $20 an hour you're not going to be bagging very many chicas.

Ladies on the other hand will hinder their attractiveness by going to law school (as sexist as this sounds all of my female classmates complain about it and how guys shy away from them at bars when they find out they're law students :/ ). Female law students are perceived as "bitchy" by onlookers, although this is hardly a proper generalization-- some of the nicest down to earth girls I've met are in law school. As many of us know, our backwards society has made it that a successful professional woman is less desirable than a knock out sorostitute with a blood alcohol level higher than her GPA with a major in communications sciences.

Truth About Law School: The average nightly reading is likely less than your senior/junior year of undergrad.


Tip: You will read a lot less for law school but will be required to know very minute details of the readings. My solution is to read each case twice. Once to get a gist of it and a second time to highlight / notate. Finally, supplement this by reading a few quick briefs online. These briefs will likely have issues that you missed or a fact or better phrasing of a rule / opinion.


I can get behind a vibrant drinking culture. I've been too sick to make the last couple bar events/bar review but I'll definitely get on them before it gets too late

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby Naked Dude » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 pm

typ3 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:1) Relax
2) Do the readings, and go to class
3) Listen to your professor, are you getting the stuff out of the reading that he/she is harping on during class? If yes, then good. If no, then a) read gooder and b) use the E&E to help guide you
4) Keep an open mind, listen to what your professors say even if you think they're batshit insane - they're the ones who will be grading your exams
5) Relax
6) Get drunk


TITCR.

Truth About Law School: There is a very vibrant drinking culture. Student mixers, bar nights, house parties with 2L/3Ls etc. Fewer drinking nights a week often means that students go at it harder during these nights.

Tip: Don't be a jackass gunner who refuses to go out with your classmates. Everyone that goes out becomes great friends. Go out the beginning few weeks before the work load really picks up. Not to mention the friends people make the first year tend to remain their friends throughout all three years. If you need to spend 14 hours a day in the library during the first week's material, law school might not have been a solid choice. Those who have declined every offer to go out have few friends and are frankly disliked by their peers and are labeled as standoffish, cut throat, gunners. Plus, if you're struggling during socratic having friends that can help you out is a definite plus-- not to mention these friends can help you come exam time if you need notes / briefs etc. You'll manage the stress better if you can unwind a bit.

Truth About Law School: The rumors about drama and hookups are true.

Tip: If you're going to sleep with a classmate don't be alarmed if people find out the next day and are talking about it. Hookups in my class began before class even started and word spreads quick. It is a small environment and law students are notoriously snarky. Further, people are always dissing other students behind their backs. Be careful what you say about other students because chances are your words will get repeated by someone.

Truth About Law School: You will have plenty of free time in law school.


Tip: Sure the workload is more than undergrad, but it is certainly manageable if you read actively and focus solely on your work instead of facebook / tls / tv / music / what your classmates are doing etc. Sit down and grind your work out then take the rest of your day / evening off if you can. Work smart, efficiently, and ahead. However, when November rolls around you won't have this free time, but for 75% of the law school semester you'll have time to do what you want.

Truth About Law School: You will be able to pick up more chicks because you're a law student.

Tip: Being a professional student will help you a lot in the ladies department at the local bars / clubs / mixers etc. Some of my classmates have made it a game of cockblocking frathards by dropping the law student card on ladies. These women are likely shallow and only interested in you because they think you'll be a gravy train, but take advantage of it while you can and knock boots with some 10's imo. Because when you drive a corolla, live in an apartment, and do doc review for $20 an hour you're not going to be bagging very many chicas.

Ladies on the other hand will hinder their attractiveness by going to law school (as sexist as this sounds all of my female classmates complain about it and how guys shy away from them at bars when they find out they're law students :/ ). Female law students are perceived as "bitchy" by onlookers, although this is hardly a proper generalization-- some of the nicest down to earth girls I've met are in law school. As many of us know, our backwards society has made it that a successful professional woman is less desirable than a knock out sorostitute with a blood alcohol level higher than her GPA with a major in communications sciences.

Truth About Law School: The average nightly reading is likely less than your senior/junior year of undergrad.


Tip: You will read a lot less for law school but will be required to know very minute details of the readings. My solution is to read each case twice. Once to get a gist of it and a second time to highlight / notate. Finally, supplement this by reading a few quick briefs online. These briefs will likely have issues that you missed or a fact or better phrasing of a rule / opinion.


Still a fresh 1L but this is not limited to law school--In any small social group that's in forced close proximity (see also: office), be very, very, very judicious about what you say about other people behind their backs, because if you're not careful, news of your shittalking someone can get to the subject of said shittalking headspinningly fast, which can be incredibly awkward. I only talk shit one on one with a person I have immense confidence in.

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby bartleby » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:07 pm

noice. good tips all.

i'm someone who is overreacting with first week excitement.

i am trying to "live like a normal human being" but my planning was pretty bad moving out.

also, i'm a really, really slow reader. taking the advice from TLS vets and some friends, i will just chill and do the normal assignments/briefing for the first little while and see what to do in a couple of weeks.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:33 pm

I swear to god I think I saw a study group on my way to the liquor store. What is this I don't even...

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby ResolutePear » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:35 pm

Naked Dude wrote:I swear to god I think I saw a study group on my way to the liquor store. What is this I don't even...


Studying crystal meth, perhaps?

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby spleenworship » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Naked Dude wrote:I swear to god I think I saw a study group on my way to the liquor store. What is this I don't even...


I figure this has got to be like LSAT studying- diminishing returns at some point. One of the 2Ls I talked to last week was talking about how she spent 6 hours a night in the library, and 8-12 hours per day on the weekends. She was barely top 40% by her own admission. I think after a while you aren't gaining anything new, and may even be doing yourself a disservice.

Which is why I paused while typing this to drink some more scotch. I haven't done a damn thing all day.

Tomorrow, though, tomorrow is going to suck. But at least I'll have had a day off.

User avatar
buckilaw
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 am

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby buckilaw » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:52 pm

bartleby wrote:just finished first week of law school

truth: 0L prep w/ e&e's (so far) seems useless or at marginally helpful at best; gtm is also a little unclear - definitely makes everything seem so simple, will revisit this weekend

truth: even TTT law schools have people who are working really, really hard. i think i underestimated how smart or how hard working i am. please tell me the 10 or so classmates (in my section) i see at 6 am and 6 pm in the library will stop doing that soon, and it is just first week excitement.

a few questions:

i have a prof who has stated in 2 of first 3 classes "example questions on previous exams." i have written them down word for word obviously and will do the reading and review other his older exams but besides scrambling to write down everything he says before and after that, is there anything else i should do?

i have another prof - torts - that teaches like a UG poli sci professor and has spent a ton of time answering really dumb hypothetical questions asked by other students. the book assigned has terrible ratings on amazon. is this a clear cut case where i should be reading e&e and then reading briefs before looking into the case book for specifics?

however, i have also read and heard that the first week is more of an intimidation / tone setting week and not to look too closely into things.


They leave at 6? A full 6-7 hours before the library closes?

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby Naked Dude » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:57 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:I swear to god I think I saw a study group on my way to the liquor store. What is this I don't even...


I figure this has got to be like LSAT studying- diminishing returns at some point. One of the 2Ls I talked to last week was talking about how she spent 6 hours a night in the library, and 8-12 hours per day on the weekends. She was barely top 40% by her own admission. I think after a while you aren't gaining anything new, and may even be doing yourself a disservice.

Which is why I paused while typing this to drink some more scotch. I haven't done a damn thing all day.

Tomorrow, though, tomorrow is going to suck. But at least I'll have had a day off.


I hear you. Today is all about some vodka tonic and catching up on my shows. If you don't take a day off your brain rebels.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: tls truths and some questions about 1l

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:13 pm

buckilaw wrote:
bartleby wrote:just finished first week of law school

truth: 0L prep w/ e&e's (so far) seems useless or at marginally helpful at best; gtm is also a little unclear - definitely makes everything seem so simple, will revisit this weekend

truth: even TTT law schools have people who are working really, really hard. i think i underestimated how smart or how hard working i am. please tell me the 10 or so classmates (in my section) i see at 6 am and 6 pm in the library will stop doing that soon, and it is just first week excitement.

a few questions:

i have a prof who has stated in 2 of first 3 classes "example questions on previous exams." i have written them down word for word obviously and will do the reading and review other his older exams but besides scrambling to write down everything he says before and after that, is there anything else i should do?

i have another prof - torts - that teaches like a UG poli sci professor and has spent a ton of time answering really dumb hypothetical questions asked by other students. the book assigned has terrible ratings on amazon. is this a clear cut case where i should be reading e&e and then reading briefs before looking into the case book for specifics?

however, i have also read and heard that the first week is more of an intimidation / tone setting week and not to look too closely into things.


They leave at 6? A full 6-7 hours before the library closes?

Image




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests