When to start outlining?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: When to start outlining?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:19 am

I started after a few weeks when the real structure of the class was apparent.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:48 am

I'll throw my hat in the "begin your outline about 4 weeks before finals" pile. One thing you may not be realizing as 1Ls is that when the test comes around you will not look at your outline more than a handful of times. You may just look at an attack outline and totally ignore your longer outline. The whole point of outlining is to learn the material, discuss gray areas, think critically about organization, and to learn by immersion. The point is not to have the world's greatest, longest, and most detailed outline.

That said I do know people who are outlining right now because that's how they study. They'll then take an afternoon a week and review their outlines up to that point as the semester progresses. Some of these people do very, very well.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:52 am

joeshmo39 wrote:I'll throw my hat in the "begin your outline about 4 weeks before finals" pile. One thing you may not be realizing as 1Ls is that when the test comes around you will not look at your outline more than a handful of times. You may just look at an attack outline and totally ignore your longer outline. The whole point of outlining is to learn the material, discuss gray areas, think critically about organization, and to learn by immersion. The point is not to have the world's greatest, longest, and most detailed outline.

Unless you want to be that guy from the paper chase.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:53 am

i love that guy. he is as they say, a pimp!

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:10 pm

im thinking that im going to start to outline at the end of each major section- when we are starting a new topic in the class. That way i can piece together all of the information- but not condense the material just yet. Like others said, ill leave the condensing to november and really piece it all together. (But doing it this way will help me learn the info,a nd clear up all of the murky areas before it gets too late).

As for my one class with a midterm in mid october, ill just make sure that the first half of the semesters material is done ( kind of shrink the class into 2 halfs).

But I think it all comes down to how you learn best- and not to be afraid of changing it up as you go along

target

Postby target » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:12 pm

kahechsof wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:I'll throw my hat in the "begin your outline about 4 weeks before finals" pile. One thing you may not be realizing as 1Ls is that when the test comes around you will not look at your outline more than a handful of times. You may just look at an attack outline and totally ignore your longer outline. The whole point of outlining is to learn the material, discuss gray areas, think critically about organization, and to learn by immersion. The point is not to have the world's greatest, longest, and most detailed outline.

I definitely need to watch the paper chase. I missed out a whole lot of references to the movie this past week. When a prof. said something related to the movie, and half of the class laughed, I was like wtf is going on.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:16 pm

target wrote:
kahechsof wrote:

I definitely need to watch the paper chase. I missed out a whole lot of references to the movie this past week. When a prof. said something related to the movie, and half of the class laughed, I was like wtf is going on.

You do not want to be like those people.

Postby 23402385985 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:34 pm

northwood wrote:im thinking that im going to start to outline at the end of each major section- when we are starting a new topic in the class. That way i can piece together all of the information- but not condense the material just yet. Like others said, ill leave the condensing to november and really piece it all together. (But doing it this way will help me learn the info,a nd clear up all of the murky areas before it gets too late).

My feelings, too. Will allow me to start to review it and read over it multiple times which will get it into my long term memory prior to the exam, anyway. Edit it down as I go and remove the needless fluff that I'm sure will be in it. Just outlined the intro Civ Pro shit and I'm sure I'll throw most of it away come final exam time (granted, I have a mid-term and I'm sure some of it will be on there). But for now, I can continue to review it and get it into my mind.

Easiest way for me to study, really. It's how I've always done it.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:26 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
northwood wrote:im thinking that im going to start to outline at the end of each major section- when we are starting a new topic in the class. That way i can piece together all of the information- but not condense the material just yet. Like others said, ill leave the condensing to november and really piece it all together. (But doing it this way will help me learn the info,a nd clear up all of the murky areas before it gets too late).

My feelings, too. Will allow me to start to review it and read over it multiple times which will get it into my long term memory prior to the exam, anyway. Edit it down as I go and remove the needless fluff that I'm sure will be in it. Just outlined the intro Civ Pro shit and I'm sure I'll throw most of it away come final exam time (granted, I have a mid-term and I'm sure some of it will be on there). But for now, I can continue to review it and get it into my mind.

Easiest way for me to study, really. It's how I've always done it.

FWIW, studying in Law School was like nothing I had done before. I had to re-learn how to study, and once I did I kicked ass. Of course, do what works for you, but it is a different sort of learning than what most people have done before.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:26 pm

You haven't started outlining yet?! It's too late I reckon. :shock:

Actually, i don't know when the best time to start would be. I've always gotten a really good outline from a generous 2L and then tweaked it.

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:27 pm

missinglink wrote:You haven't started outlining yet?! It's too late I reckon. :shock:

Actually, i don't know when the best time to start would be. I've always gotten a really good outline from a generous 2L and then tweaked it.

Should've started in the summer. Big pimpin'.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:40 am

So many approaches here... Why not one more!

I work on a very rough "running" outline at the end of each week, starting at the beginning of the semester. This is not much more than a transcription of my notes into a slightly more organized format, and eliminating redundant info, etc. (This usually ends up being 25-30 pages)

Then, in the 2-3 weeks before finals I seriously condense it, and fine tune it. This is where the real synthesis is happening. I usually end up with about 12-14 pages as a final product.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”