First Week of Torts (Reflection thereof)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kaiser

Re: First Week of Torts (Reflection thereof)

Postby kaiser » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:55 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
introversional wrote:
chimp wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:How can you categorically state that there is no intent? Maybe the guy is really pissed off and decides he wants to hit someone.

Because he was dancing, not fighting...

We're getting off point here... The dancing guy wanted to hit the air above his head, that's all. The drunken heathen that ran into the dancer's first with his head is the potential tortfeasor here. If we show fault/negligence (say he was on E along with his bottle of jager) and stumbled into the innocent dancer thereby hurting dancer's first with his sweaty head... we have a case, no?

but what about the whole substantial certainty bit? the nightclub location covers that i guess. whatever man i'm giving legal advice or nothing, feel free to correct me and all. enjoy it if you must, no need to be hostile.

Cmon man, there is no knowledge of a substantial certainty that he would hit someone. Knowledge of a substantial certainty is something like putting on a blindfold and firing a gun into a crowd. Sure, you might hope to the high heavens that you don't hit anyone, but you know with a substantial certainty that you will. Now compare that to the guy pumping his fist in a club. See how it doesn't equate?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:59 pm

People should be banned from posting in the on-topic forums for the first month of classes. Mods, YWIA.

Postby 071816 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:People should be banned from posting in the on-topic forums for the first month of classes. Mods, YWIA.

Dude, the thread is called "first week of torts"...it isn't that big of a deal.

target

Postby target » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
but what about the whole substantial certainty bit? the nightclub location covers that i guess. whatever man i'm giving legal advice or nothing, feel free to correct me and all. enjoy it if you must, no need to be hostile.

Someone did their 0L prep

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:38 pm

1Ls: you're still doing it right. Being wrong and learning from it is the name of the game.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:1Ls: you're still doing it right. Being wrong and learning from it is the name of the game.

hey man i appreciate you taking the time to correct me/us (whether you did it with relish or not). I know the BLL behind intentional torts I just need to apply it more

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:55 pm

betasteve wrote:ITT: I say "jesus fuck" to myself at least eight times.

Also, this is why you don't outline already... you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about.

Already finished my outline. Asking my profs if I can take my finals early. In all seriousness I should have done that 0L prep... :mrgreen:

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:01 pm

i'm about to quit tls because of this thread

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:08 pm

betasteve wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
betasteve wrote:ITT: I say "jesus fuck" to myself at least eight times.

Also, this is why you don't outline already... you don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about.

Already finished my outline. Asking my profs if I can take my finals early. In all seriousness I should have done that 0L prep... :mrgreen:

You try to troll tooo hard.

Some day...some day...you must teach me

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:11 pm

betasteve wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:
Some day...some day...you must teach me

You'd need to put clothes on first.

It's not that I'm kinky or anything, it's sort of a spiritual nakedness really...

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:25 pm

is naked dude actually naked? hopefully he's not in my class... :shock:

introversional

Postby introversional » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:42 pm

I, for one, have to come clean and admit that my ridiculous hypo was only intended to display that nuance (esp. when trying to show fault by negligence) does matter, that's all.

With that said, I don't think someone bumping into another in a club is negligent behavior. Moving on....

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:58 pm

D'Angelo wrote:is naked dude actually naked? hopefully he's not in my class... :shock:

you don't like me for who i am :cry:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:41 pm

This thread is so full of fail. I get that most people are 1Ls just learning the ropes, but Jesus Christ stop being so outrageous. Your classmates (and professors) will not like you if this is how you talk and think in class.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:This thread is so full of fail. I get that most people are 1Ls just learning the ropes, but Jesus Christ stop being so outrageous. Your classmates (and professors) will not like you if this is how you talk and think in class.

--ImageRemoved--

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:This thread is so full of fail. I get that most people are 1Ls just learning the ropes, but Jesus Christ stop being so outrageous. Your classmates (and professors) will not like you if this is how you talk and think in class.

+1. Only in the second week and two guys in my section have already outed themselves as "that guy."

introversional

Postby introversional » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:44 pm

betasteve wrote:
introversional wrote:I, for one, have to come clean and admit that my ridiculous hypo was only intended to display that nuance (esp. when trying to show fault by negligence) does matter, that's all.

With that said, I don't think someone bumping into another in a club is negligent behavior. Moving on....

I thought you all were talking about intentional torts? What does negligence have to do with it? [Also, bumping into someone at a club could very well be negligence.]

Nope - not taking that transferred intent bait; instead I will say that I assumed this entire thread (per title) was about torts, generally speaking. ;)

Also, the only stance I'm confident in taking thus far about the entire law school experience is that 99% of cases we discuss are clearly chosen to display that "it all depends." There are always exceptions, defenses, alternative methods of interpreting rules, facts, and so on....

I'm a little bewildered about the reliance on restatments in class though...

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 pm

You had me at "thereof" in the thread title.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:25 pm

TTH wrote:You had me at "thereof" in the thread title.

Had me irritated that it's not capitalized.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”