Mac - Growlynotes/Evernote/Pages...or Circus Ponies?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MissLucky

Mac - Growlynotes/Evernote/Pages...or Circus Ponies?

Postby MissLucky » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:42 pm

I know this has been talked about quite a bit but I haven't seen much on Growly Notes since it's fairly new and was wondering if anyone has been trying it out and thinks it is the best for a mac? What annoys me the most about it is that blue text box that surrounds your text while you type...there is no way to get rid of that (is that in One Note too)? and I'm confused as to how all the folders would turn out when printed out...and then Evernote and Pages just seem like basic word processors while circus ponies seems way too complicated for me to find it useful. thoughts? thanks a lot

Michaela

Re: Mac - Growlynotes/Evernote/Pages...or Circus Ponies?

Postby Michaela » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 pm

circus ponies is the bomb diggity

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:17 pm

I don't get this obsession with fancy note-taking software.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:20 pm

I personally use Growly Notes, and I love it...I've told a couple of kids in my section about it after seeing the trouble they were having organizing their notes the first few days of class. It's user friendly and intuitive, and perfect for organizing notes and outlines for 1L. Even though it's new and free, whenever I've emailed questions to the "help" email I've gotten responses from the developers within a day or so.

Here's a screenshot of Growly Notes in action.
Last edited by swilson215 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:20 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:I don't get this obsession with fancy note-taking software.

my favorite part is the multidex option on CP- i use it just like a word doc really but right now i'm highlighting important things in different colors and it will just separate those into one separate page so you don't have to read through ALL of your notes to pull it out

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Michaela wrote:

my favorite part is the multidex option on CP- i use it just like a word doc really but right now i'm highlighting important things in different colors and it will just separate those into one separate page so you don't have to read through ALL of your notes to pull it out

Idk, I just use the notebook function of Word. Works for me. The last thing I need to do right now is waste time learning a new software. I keep separate files for my outline and my case list (annotated with class notes). But I can appreciate the organizational options that these various programs offer.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Michaela wrote:

Idk, I just use the notebook function of Word. Works for me. The last thing I need to do right now is waste time learning a new software. I keep separate files for my outline and my case list (annotated with class notes). But I can appreciate the organizational options that these various programs offer.

most mac users in my classes seem to be using word. i didn't want to only for the sake that i have had word crash on me soooo many times while writing papers and such.

CP isn't hard to use in the least bit, takes less than 10 mins to be a pro.

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:19 pm

Michaela wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Michaela wrote:

most mac users in my classes seem to be using word. i didn't want to only for the sake that i have had word crash on me soooo many times while writing papers and such.

CP isn't hard to use in the least bit, takes less than 10 mins to be a pro.

Also Circus Ponies' Index feature is incredible. It indexes every work you types and displays them in context when you click on the word. I find this to be the fastest way to find a particular section of notes in any word processing/note taking software product.

minuit

Postby minuit » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:11 pm

i'm using growly notes and like it thus far - and it's free! i haven't done really complicated actions with it yet, but hopefully it works as seamlessly as they suggest it should.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:14 pm

So are none of you guys thinking of running Windows and using OneNote? That seems both tedious and expensive, but I though OneNote was supposed to be the UNDISPUTED BEST NOTE-TAKING SOFTWARE, PERIOD. Maybe I'll return Parallels to the Apple Store and not go through with that plan after all...

YOUNGHOVA616

Postby YOUNGHOVA616 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:28 pm

whats a free alternative for windows

minuit

Postby minuit » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:07 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:So are none of you guys thinking of running Windows and using OneNote? That seems both tedious and expensive, but I though OneNote was supposed to be the UNDISPUTED BEST NOTE-TAKING SOFTWARE, PERIOD. Maybe I'll return Parallels to the Apple Store and not go through with that plan after all...

nope! i don't think there is a need to run parallels anymore - software for macs is, as far as i can tell, on par with windows now. exam4 runs on macs just fine (and already works with lion). less hassle = good

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:31 pm

I started with CP and ended up just using word and taking notes in outline form. A lot of people spend more time taking notes than really thinking about class.

brickman

Postby brickman » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Michaela wrote:circus ponies is the bomb diggity

Perch

Postby Perch » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:58 am

brickman wrote:

Before I go and buy CP, just to clarify is it the $59.99 app called Notebook that is developed by CP?

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:02 am

Perch wrote:
brickman wrote:

Before I go and buy CP, just to clarify is it the $59.99 app called Notebook that is developed by CP?

Yup notebook is what the app will download as, but I got mine for $30 on the CP website with a .edu email address

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:09 am

Make sure if you buy CP...you are elgibile for an education license on their website. DO NOT buy it at regular price. It's $29.95 for you.

Perch

Postby Perch » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:17 am

Sounds good thanks all. Any trial period available?

Jay W. Weatherman

Postby Jay W. Weatherman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:22 am

I switched from CP to Growly Notes mid-class last year. It was a little annoying at the time it came to studying but Growly Notes was so much better than CP for me that it was worth it.

CP does have a lot of nice indexing features, but at least on my mac it ran pretty slowly and switching pages had enough of a delay to really start to bug me. Also, the fact that the designers tried to replicate an actual notebook becomes a huge pain in the ass. If you want to look at two pages in the same notebook at once you need to "tear one out" and then from the torn page you can't flip back and forth in the notebook. Annoying.

Growly notes had a much better UI for me, especially since I like keeping my cases on different pages. IT's search function is much better as well -- lightning fast and with a useful results pane.

And if I recall CP has a 30-day trial, I'd use it for a few days before purchasing.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:42 am

never heard of this growly notes before! thanks!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:50 pm

blowhard wrote:I started with CP and ended up just using word and taking notes in outline form. A lot of people spend more time taking notes than really thinking about class.

This.

I tried using CP for two weeks. I was spending too much time organizing the notes rather than just taking notes. No doubt CP is powerful software that can do a lot, but the learning curve is steep and a lot of the features are not necessary for note taking.

I switched to Evernote. I find the interface cleaner when I just need to get info onto a page. Plus it automatically backs things up.

After that I can transpose what I need as I build an outline in Word.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”