Advice on Class Schedule

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ACinemaStare

Advice on Class Schedule

Postby ACinemaStare » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm looking for some advice on whether I should take an Appellate Moot Court Competition class or not. I am currently a 2L at Michigan State. The way the law school is set up for moot court is that you have to take the competition class, and then only the top 50% of the class get asked on for moot court. I'm really interested in moot court because I unfortunately was not able to make it on to law review and I would like to be able to make it on to the moot court team to be able to put that on a resume for future employers.
My problem is that I am also signed up for a Tax Clinic, which requires about 12 additional hours. I am also working an internship as well, which is 16 hours. Additionally, I have two other courses (but I would switch out one of these for the moot court class).
My question is: Do you think it's a good idea to take the moot court class, considering the tax clinic and internship I am also taking?
I am not willing to drop the tax clinic or the internship, both of them are extremely important to me. I am just worried I may not have the time to dedicate to the moot court class that is required.
Any input is well appreciated. Thanks.

frost

Re: Advice on Class Schedule

Postby frost » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:17 pm

It'd be more helpful for you to ask someone from your school, particularly someone who did Moot Court. Every school is different so one school's MC program may be very demanding while another school's program only requires a minimal commitment. I know people at my school who were on a journal, Moot Court, clinic/externship, and wrote a note all in one semester. But again, that may be doable at my school but completely impossible at with a different journal, clinic, or different school altogether.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:29 pm

Perhaps nealric (tax lawyer) or someone else could weigh in on this, but moot court and a tax clinic seem incongruent. Do you want to be a tax attorney or a litigator? If a tax attorney, moot court doesn't seem all that necessary since (at least in my understanding and experience) most good tax attorneys don't spend much time in court. Having the line on your resume doesn't seem helpful if it isn't a step down your intended career path.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:48 pm

Is your moot court a campus thing or a national team? A campus team is usually open to anyone, and takes up far less time. A national team will be a pretty decent time commitment.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:52 pm

king3780 wrote:Perhaps nealric (tax lawyer) or someone else could weigh in on this, but moot court and a tax clinic seem incongruent. Do you want to be a tax attorney or a litigator? If a tax attorney, moot court doesn't seem all that necessary since (at least in my understanding and experience) most good tax attorneys don't spend much time in court. Having the line on your resume doesn't seem helpful if it isn't a step down your intended career path.

There is plenty of tax litigation. See the federal tax court, the court of federal claims, and even district courts.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:56 pm

Also, firms with white collar criminal defense stuff tend to focus a lot on tax issues.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”