Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Least favorite or predictions

Torts
9%
Property
10%
Contracts
20%
CivPro
22%
ConLaw
7%
CrimLaw
6%
LRW
25%

Total votes: 233

kjadkins

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby kjadkins » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:29 pm

X_Soda wrote:Too weird! We don't even take Con Law until 2L year, and I'm pretty sure no one takes Civ Pro until second semester.

We hafta take Con Law II either 2L or 3L year, and one of the elective options for the spring elective spot is Civ Pro II.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Kabuo wrote:
target wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
X_Soda wrote:Wait -- I'm seeing a lot of people mention 4 substantive classes instead of 3. Am I the only one who goes to a school that has only 3 substantive classes with LRW? Am I at some kind of slacker school? Sweet!

For me in the fall it is 3 classes and LRW, and in the spring 4 classes and moot court.

wow, you are required to take moot court in 1L spring? that sounds exciting.

+1 on the moot court thing. At WUSTL, it's 3 substantive classes per semester. GW sounds intense.

So far it doesn't feel that bad, though maybe I'll be saying something different around finals. We also have moot court for 1L spring that's part of Intro to Advocacy, though I'm unsure if it's required to be part of the school wide competition.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Haha, I'm not too excited for moot court.. I think Hastings requires it to keep up their reputation of having a great moot court team. To me it is just another non-gpa class that will still require a ton of work. :?

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:14 pm

4 vs. 3? Depends. Our Ks and Civ Pro are divided over 2 semesters. If yours aren't, might want to think twice about easier. But I'm not sure how WUSTL works

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:28 pm

You can tell mostly 1L's are voting because ConLaw isn't winning running away. Y'all will learn eventually; it's basically like a history class and brings out the most obnoxious gunning possible.

ConLaw is seriously the worst class in existence -- if it's an elective at your school and you can avoid it... AVOID IT.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:29 pm

god I hate my crim professor

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:19 am

keg411 wrote:You can tell mostly 1L's are voting because ConLaw isn't winning running away. Y'all will learn eventually; it's basically like a history class and brings out the most obnoxious gunning possible.

ConLaw is seriously the worst class in existence -- if it's an elective at your school and you can avoid it... AVOID IT.

Is it hard or just gunnerific?

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:26 am

con law seems like it would be a lot of fun, hopefully it won't be bad! but we don't take it until 2L...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:57 pm

D'Angelo wrote:con law seems like it would be a lot of fun, hopefully it won't be bad! but we don't take it until 2L...

NO NO NO NO NO.

Naked Dude wrote:
keg411 wrote:You can tell mostly 1L's are voting because ConLaw isn't winning running away. Y'all will learn eventually; it's basically like a history class and brings out the most obnoxious gunning possible.

Is it hard or just gunnerific?

Both. It's an absolute nightmare.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:05 pm

I disliked property more. Both had their own difficulties in learning - con law required an understanding of the historical context and perhaps some working knowledge of politics (which I am fairly uninterested in), while property seemed like an amalgamation of a thousand different rules which had developed in different places for different reasons and didn't always conform well to some larger logical purpose. Con law at least touched on stuff I was interested in though; the equal protection section of the course was really pretty fascinating. Property...it's probably a subjective thing but I thought it was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Civ pro the hardest class to get but the most interesting and best teacher. My favorite class so far is contracts. Torts is easy, but the Professors teaching style is horrible.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:18 pm

for me its a tie between civpro and lrw. i put lrw because i really dislike the professor (we have 3 homework assignments a week which are supposed to take up about 7hrs, gee thanks). Civ Pro is definitely the hardest and my prof is terrifying, but 3 home works a week?

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:19 pm

dailygrind wrote:

I disliked property more. Both had their own difficulties in learning - con law required an understanding of the historical context and perhaps some working knowledge of politics (which I am fairly uninterested in), while property seemed like an amalgamation of a thousand different rules which had developed in different places for different reasons and didn't always conform well to some larger logical purpose. Con law at least touched on stuff I was interested in though; the equal protection section of the course was really pretty fascinating. Property...it's probably a subjective thing but I thought it was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Damn-this is what I've heard. My aunt's told me that, as much of a pain in the ass as civ pro can seem to be, property is a million times worse. Do not want...

Actually next semester, no Torts or Crim-my favorite classes. Contracts II, Civ Pro II, Con Law I, Property. It could end up being the perfect storm...oh my god

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Who cares? Get off your computer.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:23 pm

FlanAl wrote:for me its a tie between civpro and lrw. i put lrw because i really dislike the professor (we have 3 homework assignments a week which are supposed to take up about 7hrs, gee thanks). Civ Pro is definitely the hardest and my prof is terrifying, but 3 home works a week?

I've heard the civ pro guy at cornell is a real reactionary. I remember last year he was up in arms about some new campus code of conduct change

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:28 pm

the guy is apparently fairly chill and mostly just lectures. the lady that i have for a prof is the type of cold caller that picks 2-3 to answer questions for the whole class whether you have any idea what is going on or not. there has been a good deal of awkward silence in that class so far.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:29 pm

FlanAl wrote:the guy is apparently fairly chill and mostly just lectures. the lady that i have for a prof is the type of cold caller that picks 2-3 to answer questions for the whole class whether you have any idea what is going on or not. there has been a good deal of awkward silence in that class so far.

Ouch. Keep on keepin on

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

Damn-this is what I've heard. My aunt's told me that, as much of a pain in the ass as civ pro can seem to be, property is a million times worse. Do not want...

Actually next semester, no Torts or Crim-my favorite classes. Contracts II, Civ Pro II, Con Law I, Property. It could end up being the perfect storm...oh my god

....Yeah, sounds like next semester might not be fun. Although I heard from a 2L that Civ Pro II gets a lot better (apparently it is less dry and more about state vs. federal).

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:09 pm

I like all my classes, but crim seems the easiest so far, and kinda boring. I don't really have that same desire to keep reading about it, since there's nothing left to read.

Property seems like a pain in the ass, but I'm looking forward to it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:43 pm

dailygrind wrote:

I actually really loved Property. I think Property is definitely a polarizing class, but I have to admit it was one of my faves. But I also had an excellent professor (and I would have taken her other class this semester if I hadn't transferred).

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:13 am

Yeah, professors can really make or break a class, perhaps moreso than the subject matter of the class itself.

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:25 am

I voted for Crim Law, although I haven't had Property or Con Law yet. But I'm loving Civ Pro and Contracts, and LRW isn't bad. Crim Law is just kinda boring and full of prosecutor/DA gunners who are really annoying.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:27 pm

dailygrind wrote:Yeah, professors can really make or break a class, perhaps moreso than the subject matter of the class itself.

Yeah I actually love Civ Pro despite what people have told me about the class. The professor is very dryly funny. And incredibly coherent-he's obsessed with repetition and putting every new topic into context. Easy to take for granted, but not every professor does that.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Changing my answer to property. The professor is really nice and kind of funny, but I just have no idea what I'm supposed to be getting out of these cases. Or, I do, but I don't see how it's supposed to be fitting together with the other cases we've read so far. The other classes can be annoying, but at least I feel like I know what I'm supposed to be doing in those.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Civ Pro is definitely my least favorite. The other courses are straight forward and you're learning substantive issues to topics, and this is like reading the rule book. It's boring and all the cases never actually address the issue of the case, only the creation of boundary lines and levels of power. Very boring and much harder to understand than Contracts or Torts.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”