Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Least favorite or predictions

Torts
22
9%
Property
24
10%
Contracts
46
20%
CivPro
52
22%
ConLaw
16
7%
CrimLaw
15
6%
LRW
58
25%
 
Total votes: 233

User avatar
jarv1506
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby jarv1506 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:32 pm

As of tomorrow 2 weeks in. LRW by far.

User avatar
Iceman389
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby Iceman389 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:21 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:To play along: Civ Pro only because the first few cases have been all "motion to dismiss granted because P's attorney filed suit in the wrong court." (A classmate even asked prof "who cares if it was in the wrong court, it's just a technicality.")



When you boil it down, all the rules of procedure are "technicalities" thats what rules are. As for your stupid who cares if its the wrong court comment, your future client is going to care a whole lot if you screw him or her because you don't know the rules of jurisdiction. See what a judge says when you tell him "who cares" when he says WTF are you doing here, this court doesn't have jurisdiction GTFO.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby Kabuo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:56 pm

Iceman389 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:To play along: Civ Pro only because the first few cases have been all "motion to dismiss granted because P's attorney filed suit in the wrong court." (A classmate even asked prof "who cares if it was in the wrong court, it's just a technicality.")



When you boil it down, all the rules of procedure are "technicalities" thats what rules are. As for your stupid who cares if its the wrong court comment, your future client is going to care a whole lot if you screw him or her because you don't know the rules of jurisdiction. See what a judge says when you tell him "who cares" when he says WTF are you doing here, this court doesn't have jurisdiction GTFO.


This seems a tad venomous. The "who cares" comment is his classmate's. Changing my vote to LRW today.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby Naked Dude » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Kabuo wrote:
Iceman389 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:To play along: Civ Pro only because the first few cases have been all "motion to dismiss granted because P's attorney filed suit in the wrong court." (A classmate even asked prof "who cares if it was in the wrong court, it's just a technicality.")



When you boil it down, all the rules of procedure are "technicalities" thats what rules are. As for your stupid who cares if its the wrong court comment, your future client is going to care a whole lot if you screw him or her because you don't know the rules of jurisdiction. See what a judge says when you tell him "who cares" when he says WTF are you doing here, this court doesn't have jurisdiction GTFO.


This seems a tad venomous. The "who cares" comment is his classmate's. Changing my vote to LRW today.


I dunno man, even for someone who just started law school "who cares if its the wrong court" is a really inexcusably careless answer.

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby jacketman03 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:16 pm

After 2 full weeks, I'm changing my vote to LRW. I seriously hate that class.

And re: the "it's just a technicality" thing-in my CivPro class there seems to be a trend of people answering the prof's questions with "technically...", to which the prof responds with "I'm a lawyer, I kind of care about technically."

User avatar
maxm2764
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby maxm2764 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:39 pm

For the love of god, Civ Pro. It's the worst.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:45 pm

I'm guessing it's gonna be CivPro, but out of CrimLaw, Torts, and Contracts, I'd have to go with Contracts. I find it interesting, but it hasn't been pleasant/easy to learn.

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby jacketman03 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:47 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I'm guessing it's gonna be CivPro, but out of CrimLaw, Torts, and Contracts, I'd have to go with Contracts. I find it interesting, but it hasn't been pleasant/easy to learn.

I've found Contracts to be not as bad as I was expecting, and I kind of like it.

Cogburn87
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby Cogburn87 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Torts has more votes than Property and ConLaw only has three votes?

What is this I don't even

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:57 pm

Cogburn87 wrote:Torts has more votes than Property and ConLaw only has three votes?

What is this I don't even


Confuses me, too. TBH I feel like I would find it far more interesting (and I would assume, easier) than those two.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby Naked Dude » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Torts is pretty interesting as I have tossed around the idea of personal injury. Contracts seems pretty straightforward, if it weren't for a lively professor though I'd probably fall asleep. Civ Pro is saved by a good professor and well-written casebook (and Freer's hornbook isn't half bad either). Crim is so far a lot of policy/basic theories of punishment-which I did extensive research in during college so it's not really interesting me so far.

LRW sucks but my adjunct is a great writer and teacher and is a gem of information about his work experience.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:18 am

Naked Dude wrote:Torts is pretty interesting as I have tossed around the idea of personal injury. Contracts seems pretty straightforward, if it weren't for a lively professor though I'd probably fall asleep. Civ Pro is saved by a good professor and well-written casebook (and Freer's hornbook isn't half bad either). Crim is so far a lot of policy/basic theories of punishment-which I did extensive research in during college so it's not really interesting me so far.

LRW sucks but my adjunct is a great writer and teacher and is a gem of information about his work experience.


Love CivPro right now and Criminal law. Contracts seems interesting enough at the moment. The class I least like right now is torts - maybe its the professor, I dunno, but it kind of bores me?

User avatar
D'Angelo
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:29 am

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:22 am

definitely contracts! we are taking property next semester, not looking forward to it at all...civil procedure is really interesting so far...

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3876
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:31 am

Contracts. By far my most boring class. My professor spends so much time on every single case, it's hard to not fall asleep way in the back (not that I ever actually would). I guess the upside is that we'll have less material to remember for the final (or we'll have to speed up during the last three weeks to catch up :( ).

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby kjadkins » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:08 am

I am already beyond lost in contracts and we haven't even had the first class yet. I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to be getting out of these cases. So Ray v. Eurice: you signed it, you're responsible for it? That seems to simple... I feel like there's no way I'm getting the big picture.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3876
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:19 am

kjadkins wrote:I am already beyond lost in contracts and we haven't even had the first class yet. I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to be getting out of these cases. So Ray v. Eurice: you signed it, you're responsible for it? That seems to simple... I feel like there's no way I'm getting the big picture.


From lawnix:
Absent fraud, duress, or mutual mistake, a party who signs a written contract with or without reading it is bound by his signature. The court held that even if D had been negligent in his understanding of the terms of the contract he would be bound. The test for assent is objective and not subjective. Intent is determined from what a reasonable person in the position of the parties would have thought it meant. D wrongfully breached his contract with P and P was entitled to the difference between the cost agreed upon and the cost to complete the house.

That's pretty much it. My prof also talked about how the "meeting of the minds" metaphor is misleading.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby kjadkins » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:41 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
kjadkins wrote:I am already beyond lost in contracts and we haven't even had the first class yet. I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to be getting out of these cases. So Ray v. Eurice: you signed it, you're responsible for it? That seems to simple... I feel like there's no way I'm getting the big picture.


From lawnix:
Absent fraud, duress, or mutual mistake, a party who signs a written contract with or without reading it is bound by his signature. The court held that even if D had been negligent in his understanding of the terms of the contract he would be bound. The test for assent is objective and not subjective. Intent is determined from what a reasonable person in the position of the parties would have thought it meant. D wrongfully breached his contract with P and P was entitled to the difference between the cost agreed upon and the cost to complete the house.

That's pretty much it. My prof also talked about how the "meeting of the minds" metaphor is misleading.


Ok. This makes me feel less dumb. Lol. But I still hate contracts.

X_Soda
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby X_Soda » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

Wait -- I'm seeing a lot of people mention 4 substantive classes instead of 3. Am I the only one who goes to a school that has only 3 substantive classes with LRW? Am I at some kind of slacker school? Sweet!

OneEl14
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:09 am

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby OneEl14 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:01 pm

I would've predicted before the semester that my least favorite would be Civil Procedure and my favorite would be Property. Now I think it's going to end up being the opposite.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby kjadkins » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:15 pm

X_Soda wrote:Wait -- I'm seeing a lot of people mention 4 substantive classes instead of 3. Am I the only one who goes to a school that has only 3 substantive classes with LRW? Am I at some kind of slacker school? Sweet!


We have 4: Contracts, Civ Pro, Torts and Con Law in the fall, and Crim Law, Property, Practice & Professionalism, and an elective in the spring. And LRW is a year-long course.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3876
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Yeah at GW its:
1st Year:
1st Semester:
Contracts 1
Civil Procedure 1
Torts
Criminal Law
Legal Research and Writing

2nd Semester:
Contracts 2
Civil Procedure 2
Property
Constitutional Law
Introduction to Advocacy

X_Soda
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby X_Soda » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Too weird! We don't even take Con Law until 2L year, and I'm pretty sure no one takes Civ Pro until second semester.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby ilovesf » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:18 pm

X_Soda wrote:Wait -- I'm seeing a lot of people mention 4 substantive classes instead of 3. Am I the only one who goes to a school that has only 3 substantive classes with LRW? Am I at some kind of slacker school? Sweet!


For me in the fall it is 3 classes and LRW, and in the spring 4 classes and moot court.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby target » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:09 pm

ilovesf wrote:
X_Soda wrote:Wait -- I'm seeing a lot of people mention 4 substantive classes instead of 3. Am I the only one who goes to a school that has only 3 substantive classes with LRW? Am I at some kind of slacker school? Sweet!


For me in the fall it is 3 classes and LRW, and in the spring 4 classes and moot court.


wow, you are required to take moot court in 1L spring? that sounds exciting.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Least favorite/predicted least favorite 1L class.

Postby Kabuo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:24 pm

target wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
X_Soda wrote:Wait -- I'm seeing a lot of people mention 4 substantive classes instead of 3. Am I the only one who goes to a school that has only 3 substantive classes with LRW? Am I at some kind of slacker school? Sweet!


For me in the fall it is 3 classes and LRW, and in the spring 4 classes and moot court.


wow, you are required to take moot court in 1L spring? that sounds exciting.


+1 on the moot court thing. At WUSTL, it's 3 substantive classes per semester. GW sounds intense.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests