"Free Electronic Version" of Casebook

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Lawl Shcool

Silver

"Free Electronic Version" of Casebook

Postby Lawl Shcool » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:40 pm

I just purchased a few casebooks for the semester that come with a "Free Electronic Version" inside. However, if you unwrap the book than you cannot return it. My question is this: what file type is this electronic version and would it be possible to just get a free copy from someone in class and print the cases?

flightcontrol

New

Re: "Free Electronic Version" of Casebook

Postby flightcontrol » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:43 pm

They typically have DRM-protected software that allows a very limited number of print pages. The electronic copy is useful in a pinch, but I did not find it a substitute for a paper copy that I could mark up.

Geist13

Silver

Postby Geist13 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:16 pm

The electronic versions I've seen are PDF reader files, but they do not allow you to copy/past text or print. They are useless in terms of reading. However, it was useful when studying for my closed book property exam, because I could just look up terms using the search feature.

jkay

Bronze

Postby jkay » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:22 pm

The one that came with the Yeazell CivPro casebook last year was beyond useless. No highlighting, no copy+paste, and the page numbers were not the same as the text version.

Total ripoff. Buy used casebooks or consider renting.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students�