Free Amazon Prime for students = Free 2-day txtbook shipping

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RockinJosh

Free Amazon Prime for students = Free 2-day txtbook shipping

Postby RockinJosh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:27 am

Hey Ya'll

If you have your .edu email address for your law-school email account, you can get a free 6-month Amazon Student (same as Prime) membership. This gives you free 2-day shipping on any order! I've found it very useful for textbooks, as well as filling out my apartment with all the crap I forgot to move.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

Check it out!

Josh
Last edited by RockinJosh on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Re: Free Amazon Prime for students = Free 2-day txtbook shipping

Postby Borhas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:29 am

I've used this... it's awesome

but watch the fine print... last year you could do this w/o any obligation to continue using amazon prime once it was over, but this year is different. You don't exactly have to sign up for amazon prime, but they will automatically charge you at the end of the 6 months... so make sure to cancel it if you aren't interested when the time comes.

RockinJosh

Postby RockinJosh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:33 am

Thanks for the heads up... I did not realize that they had changed it since I'd done it before with my undergrad .edu email addy, then again now with my law one.

I did get an email though that said when they were giving me the *option* to renew, not an automatic, but again--probably the old system.

expressway

Postby expressway » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:06 pm

It's only 6 months now? Bummer - I just signed up earlier this summer and my account says this:

"As an Amazon Student member, you have received one year of FREE Two-Day Shipping with Amazon Prime shipping benefits."
&
Membership dates: July 13, 2011 - July 13, 2012

Interesting. Maybe they just recently changed it.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:24 pm

If you have another .edu email, you can sign up again. :mrgreen:

random5483

Postby random5483 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:13 pm

ResolutePear wrote:If you have another .edu email, you can sign up again. :mrgreen:

Oh wow, that would be awesome (I transferred law schools). Six months instead of 1 year will suck, but better something than nothing.

RockinJosh

Postby RockinJosh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:11 pm

random5483 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:If you have another .edu email, you can sign up again. :mrgreen:

Oh wow, that would be awesome (I transferred law schools). Six months instead of 1 year will suck, but better something than nothing.

Just keep transferring and you can keep getting Free prime with your new emails!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:32 pm

yeah... I took a class at another law school over the summer, and am using their email now

quite pleased with myself :mrgreen:

Postby 071816 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Only certain copies of books qualify for prime and they are usually the more expensive copies. Prime sounds a lot better than it actually is.

RockinJosh

Postby RockinJosh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:41 pm

chimp wrote:Only certain copies of books qualify for prime and they are usually the more expensive copies. Prime sounds a lot better than it actually is.

Right, but it's the ones that would qualify for amazon free shipping--usually not Used books. If you are going to buy new books, or used books from sellers that are "fulfilled" by amazon, then it is a good deal.

Also, I use it for other crap. Like I needed a bookshelf and didn't want to drag one from a store on public transit. 2 days and a bookshelf (that was a great deal) was on my doorstep. boom.

Postby 071816 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:45 pm

RockinJosh wrote:
chimp wrote:Only certain copies of books qualify for prime and they are usually the more expensive copies. Prime sounds a lot better than it actually is.

Right, but it's the ones that would qualify for amazon free shipping--usually not Used books. If you are going to buy new books, or used books from sellers that are "fulfilled" by amazon, then it is a good deal.

Also, I use it for other crap. Like I needed a bookshelf and didn't want to drag one from a store on public transit. 2 days and a bookshelf (that was a great deal) was on my doorstep. boom.

Yea. It's definitely a sweet deal, just not nearly as sweet as I had originally thought.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:49 pm

yeah but prime includes a lot of stuff other than books (but you raise a good point)

RockinJosh

Postby RockinJosh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Borhas wrote:

yeah but prime includes a lot of stuff other than books (but you raise a good point)

you actually even get free access to some of their streaming movies / tv shows. very limited selection, but some old gems in there if you dig around a bit. you're certainly not going to find a new release tho...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:13 pm

RockinJosh wrote:
Borhas wrote:

you actually even get free access to some of their streaming movies / tv shows. very limited selection, but some old gems in there if you dig around a bit. you're certainly not going to find a new release tho...

Not with the free Student Prime you don't. With free Student Prime you get the 2 day shipping on everything Amazon ships for a year (not just textbooks) but you need a paid Prime subscription which is available at half off ($40) for those with free Student Prime for the streaming. Free Student Prime does not give you access to the Prime streaming.

RockinJosh

Postby RockinJosh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
RockinJosh wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Not with the free Student Prime you don't. With free Student Prime you get the 2 day shipping on everything Amazon ships for a year (not just textbooks) but you need a paid Prime subscription which is available at half off ($40) for those with free Student Prime for the streaming. Free Student Prime does not give you access to the Prime streaming.

oh noted, thanks for the clarification. :)

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:49 pm

It's everything shipped from Amazon.com directly. There are third-party merchants, who are lackluster in comparison.

You can look for used books that are fulfilled by Amazon. Those qualify for free 2-day shipping, too.

As for being more expensive: You know you're getting the product you asked for, with warranty intact. Prices are usually at or below retail cost, usually without having to pay taxes unless you're in the same state that Amazon does business in. I don't know the consequences of not paying taxes for goods, though. Haven't had any yet after 3-4 years of living the "Amazon life."

I highly suggest staying away from third-party sellers on Amazon unless the order is fulfilled by Amazon.

Hell, I'm trying to justify the biggest thing I can possibly buy just to pay the 3 bucks for overnight shipping and see how they get that done.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:11 pm

ResolutePear wrote:I highly suggest staying away from third-party sellers on Amazon unless the order is fulfilled by Amazon.

If they have plenty of good feedback I see no reason to avoid them (though be prepared for it to take longer because most 3rd party sellers do not ship as fast and as expediently as Amazon does). Amazon, like eBay, is fairly pro-buyer and will screw over a seller just to make sure things are okay for the buyer. Though of course with "Used" items the gamut of quality is far greater than from Amazon (or AWD) direct, but if the seller sells "Used" stuff they probably do so consistently and the quality of their items will be factored into their seller rating.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:18 pm

bk1 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:I highly suggest staying away from third-party sellers on Amazon unless the order is fulfilled by Amazon.

If they have plenty of good feedback I see no reason to avoid them (though be prepared for it to take longer because most 3rd party sellers do not ship as fast and as expediently as Amazon does). Amazon, like eBay, is fairly pro-buyer and will screw over a seller just to make sure things are okay for the buyer. Though of course with "Used" items the gamut of quality is far greater than from Amazon (or AWD) direct, but if the seller sells "Used" stuff they probably do so consistently and the quality of their items will be factored into their seller rating.

Used stuff isn't so much an issue, but the new stuff sold by third parties can be grey-marketed and come from an unauthorized dealer which renders the warranty useless.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:37 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Used stuff isn't so much an issue, but the new stuff sold by third parties can be grey-marketed and come from an unauthorized dealer which renders the warranty useless.

I'll grant you that.

ajcollege

Postby ajcollege » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:38 pm

ResolutePear wrote:Hell, I'm trying to justify the biggest thing I can possibly buy just to pay the 3 bucks for overnight shipping and see how they get that done.

We used to go in the opposite direction. Since all of us had Amazon Prime, my coworkers and I would try and find the cheapest thing you could get shipped for free. When I left for law school, I still held the record with a single 9 cent washer.

RockinJosh

Postby RockinJosh » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:41 pm

ajcollege wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:Hell, I'm trying to justify the biggest thing I can possibly buy just to pay the 3 bucks for overnight shipping and see how they get that done.

We used to go in the opposite direction. Since all of us had Amazon Prime, my coworkers and I would try and find the cheapest thing you could get shipped for free. When I left for law school, I still held the record with a single 9 cent washer.

Hhaha, I like the direct this thread has gone. Not the *cheapest* but I one time used my Prime to ship my buddy like 5,000 live ladybugs. he was quite suprised. http://amzn.to/neyLKy

Postby 071816 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:45 pm

RockinJosh wrote:
ajcollege wrote:

Hhaha, I like the direct this thread has gone. Not the *cheapest* but I one time used my Prime to ship my buddy like 5,000 live ladybugs. he was quite suprised. http://amzn.to/neyLKy

That's pretty weird, but nothing compared to these dead rabbits.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:12 am

Borhas wrote:I've used this... it's awesome

but watch the fine print... last year you could do this w/o any obligation to continue using amazon prime once it was over, but this year is different. You don't exactly have to sign up for amazon prime, but they will automatically charge you at the end of the 6 months... so make sure to cancel it if you aren't interested when the time comes.

Ditto on the thanks for the heads up.

RockinJosh

Postby RockinJosh » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:48 am

just got some books dropped off 8)

cmb0219

Postby cmb0219 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:50 am

Thanks! Just put an order in... 2 day shipping will get it here in time

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”