Buy Fed Tax Code

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kobe_Teeth

Buy Fed Tax Code

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:19 pm

So, a required text of my fed tax class is buying the code ($80 maybe), however, the entire thing is online. Is there any use in buying it?

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/ ... 01_26.html

npe

Re: Buy Fed Tax Code

Postby npe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Not familiar with the Code, but the hard copy may have advisory notes that the online copy lacks. Certain professors I've had have focused a lot on advisory notes (in Civ Pro, for example).

cahesu

Postby cahesu » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:10 pm

Your final exam may be lap-top locked.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:39 pm

I am actually doing my final right now (lmao). It is pretty darn helpful to have the code to flip through and almost all professors let you bring the code into the exam. Check and see.

$80 btw is silly outrageous. I just double checked on Amazon. Mine was half that cost. Literally.

btw if you do supplements the Emanuel's is amazing.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:49 pm

We bought selected sections with the associated regs for like 30

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:10 pm

You may be able to do a selected sections version for cheaper. You could always abuse the lexis printers in the library if that doesn't work. Fed income tax I isn't going to cover that many Code sections very heavily.

Not familiar with the Code, but the hard copy may have advisory notes that the online copy lacks. Certain professors I've had have focused a lot on advisory notes (in Civ Pro, for example).

Most likely, you won't get any annotations in a complete version of the Code. The annotated copy with regs that I have in my office spans 20 volumes and has to be updated on a weekly basis.

ak362

Postby ak362 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:11 am

I had the supplement with selected provisions of the Code + some of the related regs. I'd often forget to bring it along, so for the class itself, I often just used the online version of the Code. It was, however, useful to have a tabbed IRC for an open-book final.

straxen

Postby straxen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:20 am

The only time I used my hard copy of the code was on the final. Otherwise I used RIA checkpoint to look up code sections and the regs (never forget about the regs...they're not as easy to access quickly online without a database linking the IRC and the regs). You might be able to get away with finding a copy for the final. Depending on how your class operates, you may not really need the code on the final, I only referred to it once or twice, but it's something you should probably have for the final in case you run into an unexpected issue or need to refer back.

Note of caution: Be careful whatever you do has appropriate annotations for history. There's a lot of legislative changes and sunsetting provisions which won't show up if all you've got is an online website showing the current provisions of the code. That's one of the things I liked about the research database is the changes were very clear and our prof focused quite a bit on them.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:27 am

Damn.

Just checked on Amazon, its $50 or $60. I'll order it. If it could help on the exam, no good excuse not to buy it. $60 now is really a drop in the bucket anyway. *Sigh.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”