Torts supplements Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Torts supplements

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:06 pm

So this is the my required book for Torts: Torts and Compensation, Personal Accountability and Social Responsibility for Injury (http://www.amazon.com/Compensation-Pers ... gy_b_img_b).

It got bad reviews. And for suggested reading the prof put up 2 mini-hornbooks, 2 hornbooks, and the torts E&E. He also said it was best not to use the suggested readings until we were in the outlining phase of the course, can anyone comment on whether that's the best thing to do? I'm thinking I'll get the E&E, and maybe also this: (http://www.amazon.com/Torts-Hayden-Bubl ... _rhf_p_t_1). It's the hornbook of the required casebook (though it's not one of the suggested readings).

Any comments?

(Sorry for being useless, I promise I won't do this for all my classes).

Thanks in advance

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Re: Torts supplements

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Anyone? Bueller?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:07 pm

I am just now a 1L, but since you aren't getting any responses I thought I would throw this out here:

The book you were thinking about does include dobbs, and I heard he is good for torts. So it would probably work.

I am picking up one of his books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031421 ... fl_title_1 if you are interested in that.

Obviously though, I am mostly guessing. I don't know about you, but this buying supplements for hundreds of dollars total and hoping they work thing is very stressful for me.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:28 pm

spleenworship wrote:I am just now a 1L, but since you aren't getting any responses I thought I would throw this out here:

The book you were thinking about does include dobbs, and I heard he is good for torts. So it would probably work.

I am picking up one of his books: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031421 ... fl_title_1 if you are interested in that.

Obviously though, I am mostly guessing. I don't know about you, but this buying supplements for hundreds of dollars total and hoping they work thing is very stressful for me.
Thanks, that was one of the suggested supplements, though I was thinking that the hornbook for the exact required book would be a better bet. I'm thinking I'll check the books out at the library and see if I can figure out which one would be most helpful.

Here are the suggested supplements btw:

Mini-Hornbooks:
John L. Diamond, Lawrence C. Levine & Anita Bernstein, UNDERSTANDING TORTS (4th ed.
2010 or the 3d ed. 2007)
Marshall S. Shapo, PRINCIPLES OF TORT LAW (3d ed. 2010 or 2d ed. 2003)

Hornbooks:
W. Page Keeton, Dan B. Dobbs, Robert E. Keeton, & David G. Owen, PROSSER AND
KEETON ON TORTS (5th ed. 1984)
Dan B. Dobbs, THE LAW OF TORTS (2000)

and then the E&E

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:36 pm

I bought P&K on Torts 5th, but apparently it is out of date on product liability and you need a Dobbs to get you up to speed in some areas.

Ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:52 pm

spleenworship wrote:I bought P&K on Torts 5th, but apparently it is out of date on product liability and you need a Dobbs to get you up to speed in some areas.

Ugh.
lol, I didn't even notice that. 26 years old.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:11 pm

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I bought P&K on Torts 5th, but apparently it is out of date on product liability and you need a Dobbs to get you up to speed in some areas.

Ugh.
lol, I didn't even notice that. 26 years old.
Yeah, I mean it covers two hundred years of Torts and all, but unfortunately that is only 90% and I think we have become a more litigious society during the last 10% (possibly simply due to population pressure).

ETA: not to mention that things like IP have blown up during the last 30 years... the internet didn't even exist in '84

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:06 am

E&E
Forms & Functions of Tort Law

Torts is the easiest subject to understand in 1L though and supplements aren't really necessary.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:02 pm

goodolgil wrote:E&E
Forms & Functions of Tort Law

Torts is the easiest subject to understand in 1L though and supplements aren't really necessary.
:lol: :lol:

I just bought another torts supplement just before I read this. Oh well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

morris248

Bronze

Post by morris248 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:19 pm

E&E and then

Siegel's Torts Essay and Multiple Choice

when you are studying for the exam. You don't need to overload on torts supplements.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:20 am

Ugh.
This was in my syllabus as recommended, so I bought it.

I also bought emmanuels.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Don't use supplements until the outlining phase of the semester?

Outline when you finish a chapter and do supplements as you go through things to master understanding. It's better to front load your extra stuff now so you leave more time for practice exams and application of the law in November / December.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”