CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:25 am

.
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:28 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:
liltay357 wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:Unbelievable

1. That you are considering this.
2. and that people are seriously helping you think through it.

I thought about responding but I think it's a trap. I'm going to pretend you're not serious instead.


stfu. Just because you have had the privilege of never needing them, dont judge me.

I wont lie about not being in school tho, I feel like that's an easy way to get caught up. I will let those know what I find out once I arrive out West! :-)


The privilege of never needing foodstamps? You're a dipshit.

I've taken out government loans that I know I can pay back, even if I don't get a job as a lawyer when I graduate, because I already have a job (a job mind you, not a trust fund) that will enable me to make the payments. Only a snot nosed little turd would consider my job a "privilege". No one gifted me my job. I put in an application, I started from the bottom, and worked my way through several promotions. Since you obviously cannot afford to go to school right now if you're considering defrauding the government, you should give this job application process a try.

What makes you think you are special because you're a poor law student? I don't know any law students who are not poor, except for the obvious exception of the few rich kids who's parents are paying. This is a small group.

As for those of you supporting the idea because the law does not explicitly rule it out (which you don't even know, you're just guessing), there's not much I can say to convince you. If your philosophy in life is to take what you can, because "you can", then good luck with that. At some point, you will run out of other people's money. If you can sit there with a straight face and tell me the food stamp program in California is intended to be an alternative to graduate student loans for living expenses, then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.


Quoted for not knowing how hard it is to support a family on student loans,

Also for being a douche.


Only a slightly higher degree of douche would assume that I don't have 2 kids and 1 on the way. My loans support my education. My job supports my family. If I couldn't afford it, I would have kept my ass out of school and figured it just wasn't meant to be.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:33 am

random5483 wrote:If Cal Fresh = food stamps (guessing, not sure), then read below.

We don't qualify simply because you have to have under 2,000 dollars in the bank at any given point and need to report if you ever get over that threshhold. The way our loans work, we will end up over 2,000 at least twice a year when they disburse (unless you don't take loans for living expenses).

http://www.calfresh.ca.gov/PG841.htm


Requirements:
1. 20 hrs a week of work
2. Under 2k cash in the bank (other asset based reqs)
3. Low income
4. Fingerprinting



I can't imagine getting food stamps. I was a productive working adult 14 months ago. Getting food stamps feels wrong as a law student. We are all in mountains of debt (well most of us), but we are basically choosing not to work. If you are looking for a full-time job or have one and still need food stamps, that is one thing. But food stamps for a student is well, wrong, in my books.
At least in VA, student loan money is excluded from the asset test (similar to #2 above).

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:44 am

.
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby random5483 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:Only a slightly higher degree of douche would assume that I don't have 2 kids and 1 on the way. My loans support my education. My job supports my family. If I couldn't afford it, I would have kept my ass out of school and figured it just wasn't meant to be.


So you're saying you shouldn't go to law school if you have a family, unless you are willing to work while in school? :roll:

If you had bombed your first year of law school because you were working instead of studying, I bet you would've wished you took the food stamps.




You take loans to support your family or your spouse works. Anyway, all of this is moot since California has a 20 hours of working requirement. If the law lets you get food stamps, then the law needs to be changed (in my opinion). In fact, I think food stamps need to have a full-time work or looking for full-time work requirement unless the person is a senior citizen, pregnant/new baby, disabled, or some other qualifying reason (not including school).

With that said, in states where it is "legal" to get food stamps as a graduate student, there is nothing wrong with getting them. If anything, hopefully, it will draw attention to the fact that these programs need amended rules. Some people truly deserve the help. Graduate students, are not in this group.

User avatar
albusdumbledore
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby albusdumbledore » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 am

rdcws000 wrote:Only a slightly higher degree of douche would assume that I don't have 2 kids and 1 on the way. My loans support my education. My job supports my family. If I couldn't afford it, I would have kept my ass out of school and figured it just wasn't meant to be.


Congrats for you. Anybody who pays taxes and is eligible under the rules isn't "defrauding" the government.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:59 am

.
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
istara
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby istara » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:17 am

Are you guys on to an ideological tangent or did you miss that the OP has not, in fact, maxed out his loans?

I didnt take out the grad plus loan so Im trying to cut costs . . .

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:27 am

.
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
evilxs
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby evilxs » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:34 am

Trying to pay for 4 kids on my grad plus loans while my husband does work full time is still rough.

If the program allows it there is absolutely no shame in getting the assitance to feed your family.

/ideological rant

Goodness knows in a few short years we'll be paying enough into these programs to support 5 other families :lol:

liltay357
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby liltay357 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:59 am

rdcws000 wrote:
liltay357 wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:Unbelievable

1. That you are considering this.
2. and that people are seriously helping you think through it.

I thought about responding but I think it's a trap. I'm going to pretend you're not serious instead.


stfu. Just because you have had the privilege of never needing them, dont judge me.

I wont lie about not being in school tho, I feel like that's an easy way to get caught up. I will let those know what I find out once I arrive out West! :-)


The privilege of never needing foodstamps? You're a dipshit.

I've taken out government loans that I know I can pay back, even if I don't get a job as a lawyer when I graduate, because I already have a job (a job mind you, not a trust fund) that will enable me to make the payments. Only a snot nosed little turd would consider my job a "privilege". No one gifted me my job. I put in an application, I started from the bottom, and worked my way through several promotions. Since you obviously cannot afford to go to school right now if you're considering defrauding the government, you should give this job application process a try.

What makes you think you are special because you're a poor law student? I don't know any law students who are not poor, except for the obvious exception of the few rich kids who's parents are paying. This is a small group.

As for those of you supporting the idea because the law does not explicitly rule it out (which you don't even know, you're just guessing), there's not much I can say to convince you. If your philosophy in life is to take what you can, because "you can", then good luck with that. At some point, you will run out of other people's money. If you can sit there with a straight face and tell me the food stamp program in California is intended to be an alternative to graduate student loans for living expenses, then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.



I started to read this, got two lines in and realized I had better shit to do.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:00 am

If you had bombed your first year of law school because you were working instead of studying, I bet you would've wished you took the food stamps.


No. If I bombed my first year of law school I would have refused to continue dropping money on a bad investment. I don't know where food stamps would come into it. I didn't bomb the 1st year, and I was not eligible for food stamps, so it doesn't matter.

Call me a sanctimonious prick all you want. I don't judge people who take food stamps when they need them. In fact, I'm calling the OP out as someone who gives people who take food stamps a bad name. I don't care if he is eligible under the rules (which by the way no one in this thread seems to know for sure). I'm saying that I do not believe the intent of a food stamp program is to support people who are pursuing GRADUATE LEVEL education.

Please keep in mind this guy turned down the government assistance that was offered to him in the form of loans.

He also has a BACHELOR'S DEGREE, something which makes him just as (or more) employable than his J.D. will. Can you really say he NEEDS food stamps, because he NEEDS to graduate from law school? I am not looking at any laws. I don't doubt it's legal. However, since all levels of government are looking at making cuts to entitlement programs, how does it suit you that a poor uneducated family who actually lacks the means to put food on their children's table may suffer or have their aid reduced because this guy wants to be a lawyer?

liltay357
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby liltay357 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:03 am

I know some of you are eager to become your analytical law selves, please do so in another forum because there is no controversy here. I am not substituting my loans for free assistance. I didnt qualify to take out the maximum cushion of funds so Im looking at other options.

As far as the 2K in the bank that could pose a problem, but not for long.(yea thats what im working with)
Last edited by liltay357 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
albusdumbledore
Posts: 1132
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby albusdumbledore » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:10 am

rdcws000 wrote:
If you had bombed your first year of law school because you were working instead of studying, I bet you would've wished you took the food stamps.


No. If I bombed my first year of law school I would have refused to continue dropping money on a bad investment. I don't know where food stamps would come into it. I didn't bomb the 1st year, and I was not eligible for food stamps, so it doesn't matter.

Call me a sanctimonious prick all you want. I don't judge people who take food stamps when they need them. In fact, I'm calling the OP out as someone who gives people who take food stamps a bad name. I don't care if he is eligible under the rules (which by the way no one in this thread seems to know for sure). I'm saying that I do not believe the intent of a food stamp program is to support people who are pursuing GRADUATE LEVEL education.

Please keep in mind this guy turned down the government assistance that was offered to him in the form of loans.

He also has a BACHELOR'S DEGREE, something which makes him just as (or more) employable than his J.D. will. Can you really say he NEEDS food stamps, because he NEEDS to graduate from law school? I am not looking at any laws. I don't doubt it's legal. However, since all levels of government are looking at making cuts to entitlement programs, how does it suit you that a poor uneducated family who actually lacks the means to put food on their children's table may suffer or have their aid reduced because this guy wants to be a lawyer?

No one cares what you think the intent of the food stamp program is.

User avatar
Kilpatrick
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:06 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:13 am

.
Last edited by Kilpatrick on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:17 am

No one cares what you think the intent of the food stamp program is.


nenner nenner.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:22 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:
If you had bombed your first year of law school because you were working instead of studying, I bet you would've wished you took the food stamps.


No. If I bombed my first year of law school I would have refused to continue dropping money on a bad investment. I don't know where food stamps would come into it. I didn't bomb the 1st year, and I was not eligible for food stamps, so it doesn't matter.

Call me a sanctimonious prick all you want. I don't judge people who take food stamps when they need them. In fact, I'm calling the OP out as someone who gives people who take food stamps a bad name. I don't care if he is eligible under the rules (which by the way no one in this thread seems to know for sure). I'm saying that I do not believe the intent of a food stamp program is to support people who are pursuing GRADUATE LEVEL education.

Please keep in mind this guy turned down the government assistance that was offered to him in the form of loans.

He also has a BACHELOR'S DEGREE, something which makes him just as (or more) employable than his J.D. will. Can you really say he NEEDS food stamps, because he NEEDS to graduate from law school? I am not looking at any laws. I don't doubt it's legal. However, since all levels of government are looking at making cuts to entitlement programs, how does it suit you that a poor uneducated family who actually lacks the means to put food on their children's table may suffer or have their aid reduced because this guy wants to be a lawyer?


Fair enough. But I just don't think OP has said enough about his situation for anyone to know he doesn't need food stamps. I could think of several situations he could be in where he could need them. It sounds like he is saying he got denied gradplus loans. If that's the case, he definitely needs help.


You're right, we don't. I vaguely recall seeing something about him turning down grad plus and trying to cut his costs a bit, but I may have read it wrong. He may have extraordinary circumstances.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Google -- perhaps time for OL's to learn to read regs

Postby Big Dog » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:22 am

Students....Can get food stamps only if they meet one of the following requirements. [7 C.F.R. §§ 273.5 (b); MPP § 63-406.211.]
employed 20 hours a week; or
receiving federal or state work-study money; or
full-time student with a child under age 12; or part-time student with a child under age six or a child between ages six and 12 for whom adequate care is not available; or
receiving CalWORKs; or
enrolled in a food stamp employment and training program; or other state or local job training programs that USDA will accept. 7 C.F.R. § 273.5(b)(11)
does not intend to register for the next normal school term. 7 C.F.R. § 273.5(c). Note: no state regulation implements this federal requirement.

http://foodstampguide.org/special-rules ... ituations/

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/foodstamps/e ... sman4b.pdf

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: Google -- perhaps time for OL's to learn to read regs

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:30 am

Big Dog wrote:Students....Can get food stamps only if they meet one of the following requirements. [7 C.F.R. §§ 273.5 (b); MPP § 63-406.211.]
employed 20 hours a week; or
receiving federal or state work-study money; or
full-time student with a child under age 12; or part-time student with a child under age six or a child between ages six and 12 for whom adequate care is not available; or
receiving CalWORKs; or
enrolled in a food stamp employment and training program; or other state or local job training programs that USDA will accept. 7 C.F.R. § 273.5(b)(11)
does not intend to register for the next normal school term. 7 C.F.R. § 273.5(c). Note: no state regulation implements this federal requirement.

http://foodstampguide.org/special-rules ... ituations/


http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/foodstamps/e ... sman4b.pdf



Guess that makes this thread moot.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Renzo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
Call me a sanctimonious prick all you want.


Ok. You're a sanctimonious prick. Consider for a second the possibility that your personal view of who ought to receive food stamps isn't the same as the view of the people who run the program. For example, maybe some states deliberately and intentionally meant for the program to be used by students for any number of socially desirable reasons, like encouraging higher education, or reducing debt burden of graduates, or even just out of general socialist sentiment.

I don't think mortgage interest ought to be tax deductible. But I don't think rich homeowners are immoral for accepting the deduction just because they are capable of paying more taxes. Similarly, if you don't like the fact that there are government transfers like food stamps available to students, you beef is with the politicians who created it, not with people legally accepting the transfer.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Consider for a second the possibility that your personal view of who ought to receive food stamps isn't the same as the view of the people who run the program.


Your point may have been better taken if it had been made before we learned that my view is very similar to the view of those who run the program.

And give me a break with the "it's not your place to judge how the government spends money" BS. You stated your opinion on mortgage interest, I stated mine on food stamps. I didn't once say anything about morals.

studentofthelaw
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby studentofthelaw » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:23 pm

If you care for my opinion, I say that you should just take out more loans. If you'd get $200/month for food then borrow that in grad loans for the year. Grad loans are meant to cover expenses such as food. I think the food assistance program is great for those who need it.

Full disclosure: At one point I needed them. I already finished my undergrad and I wanted to continue school. I was going full time for a year, doing a part time work study and living by myself in MI. I couldn't afford to eat properly. I was making I think $100 plus a week and I had to pay rent. I couldn't take out grad loans bc I wasn't in grad school I was in a post-bach cert. prog. Believe me if I could have I would. I took out the max the school would let me in stafford loans and used the stipend to pay as much rent as I could. At the end I had about $20-$30/wk for groceries. Comparatively speaking (comparing to most every other country in this world) I was doing okay. But my diet was horrible.

I finally decided to go on food assistance. I have to be honest, I was ashamed. I felt ashamed of being ashamed. As if I was somehow better than those who were on it. But there is a certain stigma associated with being on assistance. Especially when you are a person of color. Most especially when you are a woman of color. I was on food assistance for 3 months. It was great help to me. And no, I didn't hide the fact I was a student.

I know I may sound like a hypocrite to you for telling you not to go on food assistance when I did. I didn't want to. If I could have taken out more loans instead I would have.

At the end of the day, you should do what you think is right.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby random5483 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:32 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
random5483 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:Only a slightly higher degree of douche would assume that I don't have 2 kids and 1 on the way. My loans support my education. My job supports my family. If I couldn't afford it, I would have kept my ass out of school and figured it just wasn't meant to be.


So you're saying you shouldn't go to law school if you have a family, unless you are willing to work while in school? :roll:

If you had bombed your first year of law school because you were working instead of studying, I bet you would've wished you took the food stamps.




You take loans to support your family or your spouse works. Anyway, all of this is moot since California has a 20 hours of working requirement. If the law lets you get food stamps, then the law needs to be changed (in my opinion). In fact, I think food stamps need to have a full-time work or looking for full-time work requirement unless the person is a senior citizen, pregnant/new baby, disabled, or some other qualifying reason (not including school).

With that said, in states where it is "legal" to get food stamps as a graduate student, there is nothing wrong with getting them. If anything, hopefully, it will draw attention to the fact that these programs need amended rules. Some people truly deserve the help. Graduate students, are not in this group.


And what do you do if you've already maxed out your loans and your spouse can't get a job? I understand that the point is moot. I don't live in a state where grad students can get food stamps either. But I wouldn't judge someone like a sanctimonious prick if they legally took advantage of the program if it was available.



As I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with getting food stamps as a graduate students if it is legal (re-read the last paragraph). However, if anyone can get food stamps without either working full-time or looking for full-time work (exceptions = disabled people/etc), then the law needs to be changed (my opinion).




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests